TV licence and other bits

Ratchet

Some things still confusing me, if anyone can help.

TV licences - Do they have them here? do i need to get one when my stuff turns up?:eek:

What with the car rego's - i was told they include third party insurance cover - how does that work then?

Last one - Ive got insurance on the car and when i phoned up to make sure that they had added my hubby on the insurance they said he was now as an additional driver but he was ok to drive it anyway??? Huh??:err: So who gets insured the car or the driver?

Guest proud2beaussie

No TV licences in Australia any more.

Third party insurance is included when you register a vehicle but it only covers you against injury to others-not property damage or damage to vehicles.

Basically it works like this-if you are injured in a motor vehicle accident involving another registered vehicle then any out of pocket medical expenses you may incur for things like physiotherapy etc can be claimed back from the state government.

Note that anyone who drives a vehicle with expired registration will be personally liable for those costs if they are involved in an accident and they would be charged with an offense under the road traffic act of the relevant state.

The vehicle is insured under full comprehensive insurance but usually you do need to ask to add another person as an authorised driver-I can't explain why your husband was already approved as a driver if the vehicle is registered in your name.

Hope this helps a little.

Guest wanderer

Re your husband being covered as a driver of the insured vehicle, policies may vary from company to company but some at least [AAMI for instance] have an automatic cover for any other licensed driver you allow to drive your car and it is only if another driver is to be a regular driver that it makes sense to have more than one driver listed on the insurance.

Sometimes there could be a clause saying driver needs to be 25+ but that is more for comprehensive insurance where there are premium loadings and excesses for under 25s, [statistically likely to have more and more serious accidents], and whereas the third party insurance is complusory the standard other licensed driver allowance probably negates a 25+ clause.

There is a slight difference in some states, NSW for instance having what they call their green slip [insurance] and I think that is paid separately to any registration whereas Vic. and Qld. at least have it sensibly included with registration.

If you are going to be frequent city drivers and likely to use tollways you ought to also see about an Etag which you buy and top up to keep ahead of tollway charges.

Re your husband being covered as a driver of the insured vehicle, policies may vary from company to company but some at least [AAMI for instance] have an automatic cover for any other licensed driver you allow to drive your car and it is only if another driver is to be a regular driver that it makes sense to have more than one driver listed on the insurance.

Sometimes there could be a clause saying driver needs to be 25+ but that is more for comprehensive insurance where there are premium loadings and excesses for under 25s, [statistically likely to have more and more serious accidents], and whereas the third party insurance is complusory the standard other licensed driver allowance probably negates a 25+ clause.

There is a slight difference in some states, NSW for instance having what they call their green slip [insurance] and I think that is paid separately to any registration whereas Vic. and Qld. at least have it sensibly included with registration.

If you are going to be frequent city drivers and likely to use tollways you ought to also see about an Etag which you buy and top up to keep ahead of tollway charges.

Thanks for this. funnily enough my insurers are AAMI.

Hoping not to get caught in too much traffic as will be on the motorbike by the end of the week. Have picked up some info on the toll roads though just in case. so far we've managed to avoid them

kelly.

No TV licences in Australia any more.

Third party insurance is included when you register a vehicle but it only covers you against injury to others-not property damage or damage to vehicles.

Basically it works like this-if you are injured in a motor vehicle accident involving another registered vehicle then any out of pocket medical expenses you may incur for things like physiotherapy etc can be claimed back from the state government.

Note that anyone who drives a vehicle with expired registration will be personally liable for those costs if they are involved in an accident and they would be charged with an offense under the road traffic act of the relevant state.

The vehicle is insured under full comprehensive insurance but usually you do need to ask to add another person as an authorised driver-I can't explain why your husband was already approved as a driver if the vehicle is registered in your name.

Hope this helps a little.

To be accurate you have to pay the first $560 of your own medical expenses if you are injured in an accident, then you can claim from the TAC. I found this out recently when some clown hit me whilst I was stationary at a junction. I needed physio but not $560 worth, he wasn't insured so no point trying to claim anything back there for medical expenses, not worth the agro. Luckily I have fully comp so my insurance (AAMI) fixed my car and will sue him for the damages to my car about $5000 worth. I still had to pay for a hire car however whilst mine was in for repair, luckily at a reduced rate via AAMI but still another $250 out of pocket:mad: So I recon the whole accident cost me about $600+ and I was the innocent party!!:arghh: Unfortunately, I think many drivers over here are uninsured as they think that the cover with the Rego is enough, a lot of "P" platers don't bother (we insisted that both our boys had fully comp !!) I also think I was lucky that he didn't just drive off knowing that he was not insured as many do, that would have left me with the first $500 of the claim as well as it would have come off my insurance. I think insurance here should be compulsory as in the UK, personally, I think its actually ridiculous that you can drive uninsured.

Archived