Brisbane River of Fire

RaT

Any one go to this event recently...we were lucky enough to be staying near enough to watch a lot of it from the apartment, as well as the TV coverage....the fighter jets were certainly impressive, especially as they went directly over us on the final pass...

Yes we went, what a great display !! The fireworks and the jets were fantastic better than I thought it would be.

It was packed at South Bank , although everyone was on their best behaviour, I didnt actually see any trouble at all. The only downside was waiting approx 2 hours to get the ferry back ! But worth the day out

we watched it from the balconly of our apartment, a firework barge was directly infront of us so we had a good seat (: The fireworks off the skyscrapers were pretty impressive.

We were in Sydney for the last NYE and I honestly thought the fireworks and Jets for River fire was 10 times better than the NYE display. Was a really great night......not so great for the people parked illegally who got towed and received a minimum $400 fine....ouch!

I'd spoke to quite a few locals the week leading upto this and none of them seemed interested (must have been the few miserable ones as apparently 650,000 turned up to watch it!) so I hadn't got my hopes up, so I was pleasantly suprised to say the least!!

Lisa

I was under the story bridge. Very impressive. Only downside was the rather heavy handed security. Was on my bike and stopped to get a stone out of my shoe and was screamed at to not lock my bike to the gate (which I wasn't about to do) I tried to say, "it's ok, I'm just getting this stone out..." and that was it, threatened to, and I quote "get me arrested for being lippy." I actually laughed out loud and tried again starting with, "mate, I haven't even got a lock" but he wasn't having any of it.

Knob.

I do notice that most of the doormen on pubs in the UK are run by companies with names like Safe-night and party-times and the ones in Brisbane have names like power-force and fight-night.

I was under the story bridge. Very impressive. Only downside was the rather heavy handed security. Was on my bike and stopped to get a stone out of my shoe and was screamed at to not lock my bike to the gate (which I wasn't about to do) I tried to say, "it's ok, I'm just getting this stone out..." and that was it, threatened to, and I quote "get me arrested for being lippy." I actually laughed out loud and tried again starting with, "mate, I haven't even got a lock" but he wasn't having any of it.

Knob.

I do notice that most of the doormen on pubs in the UK are run by companies with names like Safe-night and party-times and the ones in Brisbane have names like power-force and fight-night.

LOL I know what you mean we got on the ferry and when we got to South Bank the security were doing bag checks, a fellow in front of us his kids had scooters and what a performance the security made, I thought the fellow was going to land the security man one !!! Then it was our turn and OH had 2 beers in his cool box and was asked to put them in the bin provided, he flatly refused and got back on the ferry and went to the other side of the river drank his beer and came back - :biglaugh:.

As we said to the security men the people when you first get on the ferry should tell you and then you could put your stuff in your car.

Oh well, it was a great day out though

What annoys me is the "rules without reasons" aspect of it all. If they said there was a big sign when you got on the ferry or explained that they have to make it a no alcohol policy because some people have children and they don't like their children to see drunk people because it's scary and while you would be perfectly capable of having 2 beers and not making any dramas, others cannot or do not stop at 2 so they have to make it a booze free zone. If they said something, anything I'd accept it, but this whole because-i-said-so attitude just narks me.

Still, I'm the guest here so I tow the line.

Archived