? Which North Shore Suburb

Guest quigs

We are likely to send our kids to one of the schools in the Mosman/Cremorne area can anyone recommend a few suburbs where it is easy to commute to these areas?

We find Mosman/Balmoral expensive is there anywhere else locally that is still a reasonable commute 15 mins max due to the kids being so young.

thanks

Guest iselinger

Basically the further away from the CBD and the harbour you are the less expensive the suburb. You have chosen some of the most expensive areas to look at because they are both close to the Harbour and the CBD.

So if you look at the suburb map and go inland to say somewhere like Naremburn or St Leonards it gets cheaper but not as nice! Within 15 mins but just not as upmarket.

Basically look at Domain.com.au where you will get a good idea of the prices and whats available.

Guest Matildasmum&dad

Hi,

We live in Balgowlah and really like it. It's not cheap, but much more affordable than Mosman and only 10 mins over Spit Bridge.

Hope this helps

Sarah

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mattsctr

I'm starting work in North Ryde next month so also interested in good areas to live in the North Shore, would like to be near shops, bars, decent restaurants and cafe's if poss.

Have a budget of 900pw, any idea what that gets in your recommended area?

Thanks

Matt

I don't know what it would get you, have you looked on Realestate.aus? under North Shore it will give you a good idea, plus look at Cityhobo.com which will give you a good idea of suburbs and what each has to offer and its character. I found both these sites very helpful.

Good Luck!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Hi,

We live in Balgowlah and really like it. It's not cheap, but much more affordable than Mosman and only 10 mins over Spit Bridge.

Hope this helps

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

we have lloked at Balgowlah/Seaforth on our reccie and liked both very pretty and found very good school. My main concern is it seems very quite during the day when kids are at school. I will be a stay at home Mum and worried that I will get bored ? Is there enough to do ? are there many expat wives in the area and are they friendly?

Do you have kids at school?

Any local info or help would be appreicated. Are the locals ok with outsiders coming in and do they mix?

thanks

quigs - my advice is to find an area with a good school where you can afford to live. we have children scattered over the NS in different schools and it makes life difficult in many ways, not least for the children who would have liked being closer to friends instead of having be driven everywhere or catch long train and bus journeys. the problem with mosman and cremorne is that the traffic is a total nightmare a lot of the time, even on the weekend. so there's little point in thinking that it would be good to send kids there and commute from balgowlah IMHO - this will guarantee and awful lot of time spent sitting in traffic jams getting hot under the collar, not knowing anyone in the actual locale where you live. Better to live in Balgowlah itself which has as good a set of schools as anywhere. the other possibility is to move further up the NS towards or past chatswood - suburbs like ararmon and roseville and family friendly and they have the train into the city which makes life bearable. or further out places like killara, gordon, wahroonga - same sort of logic and some lovely little schools like the Bush School in Wahroonga etc. main thing is you need to try the ddrive around for yourself. if you are used say to london driving, great - if not, get family, schools and house in the same location. all the best with the move.

thanks Simon for the very good post, on our reccie now and have found excellent school and pre-school in Balgowlah and with a 5 minute drive just to the pre-school. We will look to buy there as well so kids get to know some local kids.

Appreciate your help

Guest Matildasmum&dad

Hi Quigs,

Glad to hear you are thinking of Balgowlah. I am a stay at home mum at the moment, although the children aren't at school yet. I find that there is a really community of mums around during the day, the cafes are full of them!! I walk alot and there are some great places around here, as well as good shopping in Stokland etc. Not sure what you would normally be doing during the day, but I'm never bored!! Also, I ahve made lots of friends and you are always welcome to meet us! I have been here 6 months and have found making friends with Brits, Aussies, Kiwis, South Africans no problem at all. to be honest, there are more expats than anyone else here!!

When are you arriving? We'd love to help you out and get you settled

Sarah

Hi Quigs,

Glad to hear you are thinking of Balgowlah. I am a stay at home mum at the moment, although the children aren't at school yet. I find that there is a really community of mums around during the day, the cafes are full of them!! I walk alot and there are some great places around here, as well as good shopping in Stokland etc. Not sure what you would normally be doing during the day, but I'm never bored!! Also, I ahve made lots of friends and you are always welcome to meet us! I have been here 6 months and have found making friends with Brits, Aussies, Kiwis, South Africans no problem at all. to be honest, there are more expats than anyone else here!!

When are you arriving? We'd love to help you out and get you settled

Sarah

thank you very much Sarah we hope latest Jan 2011 but if we sell our business and house earlier then we my husband is very keen to get over there. I won't move without the school, pre-school confirming they can take us earlier. We had a good drive around the area today and I waited in the car as my youngest was napping but my husband spoke to loads of Mums in the park. He was very impressed how friendly and helpful they were. There is an English Mum I met today in Stockland lovely very friendly but seemed a bit lonely. I told here to contact some of the N Beaches Mums on here to met up as she didn't know this site.

We are a very sociable family and would love to meet up with you all. I will keep in contact and let you know when are coming.

thanks

Guest Matildasmum&dad

If you are here on holiday, you should meet up with us before you go. My husband is off work this week, and we are meeting some friends at Fairlight beach at 4.30 tomorrow for a few drinks and snacks. You are very welcome to join us, or we are free Thurs eve if you want to meet at the Totem bar in Stockland. PM me and I'll give you my number

Sarah

Hi all, I have just listed a home to rent in Harbord...o.k. Freshwater if you insist on using the new suburb name. Very, very close to Harbord Public School which has a terrific name, close to Curl Curl and Freshwater beaches, shops, cafes, walk to lots. I already have a few pommie tenants who love this area. Yes, it is close to Balgowlah also. You can even walk the kids to Manly if you have a jogger.

Send me a pm or look up the home in Rentalinsoz.

All the best.

Archived