grocery shopping in Oz

Ratchet

Im hoping someone can help us/advise us. Ive been here only a day and have noticed a massive difference in the way we shop for food in the UK and the way it appears to be done in Oz.

I have to say im having a hard time getting my head around it, reason being is that i dont know where to go for what!

Im used to 'all under one' roof at a supermarket of your choice - tesco/sainsburys/aldi/waitrose. I feel as if im moaning, but honestly im not, its just a massive difference to the way weve done it for years.

Can someone educate me on how to shop for food in Oz please:wubclub:

You can do it the same way as in the UK if you want. Both Coles and Woolworths are pretty much the same as Uk supermarkets.

Certain things are more expensive than the UK, bread and milk especially.

Outside most supermarkets is a Bakers Delight or Brumbys which are reasonably priced. Bread and rolss etc are made fresh on the day, like an old fashioned bakery you would find at home.

There is much more focus here on independants so you will find butchers and bakers and greengrocers much more than you ever would in the UK.

Honestly though it depends whether you can be bothered going to different places for your shopping - personally, I'm lazy and tend to go to Coles for everything.

Leanda x

We had the same problem when we first arrived! In the UK I used to do one food shop a week, but we find here that we are better to do two smaller shops. We go to a fruit and veg barn for fruit and veg which is far cheaper. As the pp said, Bakers Delight is good for bread and we also buy our fish from a fishmonger. We get washing powder and things in big boxes from places like Big W when they are on special. To be honest, I find it easier in a way. I hated supermarket shopping in the UK, and would always make hubby come with me to help, but here I find it fine. I go on a Monday and do the bigger of my two shops and get nappies, freezer stuff and cleaning stuff plus groceries for three days. Then I go on a Thursday and just get food for four days. I plan my meals so that (for example) if I know I am going to the Westfield shopping centre on Wednesday, I plan to have fish for dinner that day and get it fresh. YOu will find that the longer you are here, the more your store cupboard fills up too which helps. To start with you will probably be a bit shocked at the price of your shopping bills, but you end up buying extra stuff because of novelty and also because you don't know which brand of something you will like.

Archived