Flights

Guest tracy hunt

Guest tracy hunt

Can anyone tell me how to go about getting the cheapest possible flights for a trip over to check out Melbourne. We weren't going to go first, but I've had a think about it today and after talking to Bradley we feel it is the sensible thing to do. So, we'll cancel our Cornwall holiday (only paid a £30 deposit) and go to Australia instead. We're thinking 3 weeks but it might have to be late June - early July when the children are still meant to be at school because what with all our children we need the flights as cheap as possible!

Any help on where to start would be most appreciated. Never booked any flights on the computer before.

Tracy xx

Guest koala12

Hi Tracy

It's quite easy to do a search online for flights, try expedia or just google search and see what it throws up. We always found Flight Centre excellent for our flights here and they also do a price match guarantee so if you find a cheaper deal anywhere else they will either try and do it cheaper or at least match it for you. Sometimes 'good' airlines like Singapore or Cathay Pacific do a seat sale for a limited time and if you get in there quickly you can sometimes pick up some very good fares too. It will be dearer during school holidays so if you can avoid those times would be better - good luck and happy hunting

Karen

Guest tracy hunt

Hello Karen

Thanks for that, I've made a note of those names. Any idea how much we can expect to pay?

Guest koala12

Hi Tracy

Not really sure what to say re prices as we have paid all different fares according to what time of year we have travelled and what airline we used. You can pay anything from an amount in £600s to £800s per adult fare, not sure about children's fares. A friend of mine has recently booked to come out and and see me in Sydney at the beginning of June and she paid £745 flying out from Heathrow but I think that was quite expensive and she could have got cheaper! Just spend some time looking online and hopefully you'll come up with something - also contact your nearest Flight Centre (think you can do that online too!). Another good site can be http://www.dialaflight.com or http://www.dealchecker.co.uk or as I said expedia who I booked my daughter's flight through last year when she came out as they gave me the cheapest fare.

Karen

Don't go with China Eastern. the food is awful, the lack of alcholic drinks is unbeleivable (had one beer fron Sydney to Shanghai then the "ran out") English subtitles on a Chinese dubed French film!!!

I believe the hotel on the return leg was 45mins from Shanghai airport and of a poor standard. We had booked into the Ramada previously and it was like a palace. Two rooms 4 3 course meals, wine, beer and breakfast £200.

The Maglev train into Shanghai does 431kph (270mph) great experiance. Bit dodgy in the city though.

They were the cheapest we found 3 adults 1 child (13 and 11 at the time) at around £2000 next time I'll pay £500 to £800 extra and go with Singapor or BA.

Hope this helps

Guest dwaldron

The cheapest flight is not always the best flight, particularly if you are not sure of where you want to live. For a little more, or sometimes no more you can get an open jaw ticket, go into one city and out another, seeing things between the two. I get all of my flights from a fab agent at Travelmood - kate.s@travelmood.com she can jig things around for you and come up with a really flexible route, usually around the same price as an 'ordinary' ticket.

Guest gilly

I book flights with airline network on line and they have always been fine. Its a bit nerve wrecking at first when you press that button but just check all your details, again and again and you should be fine. At the moment we are looking to travel late June returning early July and find Cathay Pacific comming up with quite good prices, they do change the nearer the flight date though and quite often increase. At the moment we are looking at £1,020. for three adults (my boy is 16) When we travelled before we went state to state using Virgin Blue they can be booked on line also and you just print out the paper ticket with bar code which you can use for ease of check in. Hope this helps. Best wishes Gilly. Moving to Coffs Harbour August (fingers and toes) if house sells in time.

Guest gilly

Sorry looking at that price it can't be right (£1,020) see what I mean about buttons. I will go online now and try and get right price for you Gilly

Guest gilly

Sorry flight price today for Cathay Pacific flying 25th June rtn 10th July is £2070. for three adults incl taxes. Im sure there may be cheaper, lets see. Gilly

Hi Tracy

We've been looking for flights in June too and the cheapest we've got so far is with

www.affordableflights.co.uk they'll do £537 per adult to Brisbane on June 15-July 1st with JAL(japanese airlines). Kids about 25% cheaper.

Also looking at www.dialaflight.com as they have some good deals to.

Last time we booked with Airline Network & Emirates 4 adults 1 child to Bris in July £3900.

But we booked this in the Dec before and it was 2 yrs ago now.

Good luck searching

Sam xx

It may be worthwhile trying the airline websites direct, we`ve just booked online this week with Singapore Airlines (Heathrow to Perth one way) for 3 of us and it was £1089. We then (seperately) got one way travel insurance with Walkabout Insurance for £85 which seemed pretty good and covers us for the first 17 days.

Guest tracy hunt

Thanks for all your replies, the cheapest quote was £2880 for all us 6 with Quantas going 1st June for 3 weeks to Melbourne with a 2 day stop in Singapore and we just have to pay extra £50 each to fly to Cairns for the middle week. It worked out about £560 each adult. But...........we've changed our minds again now. We'll go to Cornwall instead as originally planned. It will probably be the last time to get some surfing practise and to see England at its best before we leave. Basically, it's a lot of money to spend on a holiday - that money would be better spent finishing our extension and getting the house ready to sell.

I just felt that having never been to Australia - it must be madness to consider moving there. But we've watched Neighbours and Home and Away and it looks nice on there! Seriously, we've done so much research I can't see how we could have got it wrong, and if we have, we'll just make the best of it!

Tracy xx

Hi Tracy

We went 2 yrs ago and while we saw quite a lot, we never went to Mel or Perth, the two places we're now looking at going to!

If we get over to these cities before we move all well and good, if we dont then we'll still be going come what may!

It is a lot of money when you add on accommodation and spending money and it will add up to a lot more than £3k.

At the end of the day, we are going no matter what. If we dont like some place we'll have to move somewhere else.

You'll be fine, I'm sure

Sam xx

Guest SQ777

Check a dealer for cheap flights otherwise go with Qantas or SQ,as SQ is the cheapest and the most better quality.Also there are only 2 legs with SQ and not 2+ like Qatar,Qantas,Emirates,Cathay Pacific,BA,JAL,Etihad and Gulf Air. hmm lots of airlines.

Guest koala12

I don't think Qantas are particularly cheap, my friend recently booked a flight with them to come and see me in June and I thought it very expensive. You are wrong about Cathay Pacific though as they only have 2 legs too, stopping in Hong Kong en route. We have travelled with them before and they are excellent. Last time we used Singapore Airlines, they also stop once just in Singapore and they were also excellent. We have also used Asiana which were very reasonable and stop once in Seoul and they weren't bad either. OH has used JAL and they only stopped once in Japan and he found them quite good too. It's just a case of checking around and find the best deal available for the dates you want.

Guest chippie74

we got a good deal with travelmood.for the two of us "adults"we fligh out with cathay pacific 27th aug to hong kong stay in hong kong for 4 nights and land in adelaide..one way!!! all in £1010..just a quick question to anyone flown with cathay....who do i ask for a extra baggage allowance??? i have tried there website and the baggage desk in london heathrow.the phone number puts you threw to the desk in spain..no good on a mobile!!!

we got a good deal with travelmood.for the two of us "adults"we fligh out with cathay pacific 27th aug to hong kong stay in hong kong for 4 nights and land in adelaide..one way!!! all in £1010..just a quick question to anyone flown with cathay....who do i ask for a extra baggage allowance??? i have tried there website and the baggage desk in london heathrow.the phone number puts you threw to the desk in spain..no good on a mobile!!!

So Chippie you're off then, last time I spoke to you, your GF was having a bit of a wobbly moment.:swoon: :swoon:

Good Luck to you both down under and have a safe journey and enjoy.:cool: :cool:

Sam xx

Guest koala12

Hi

When we emigrateed last year and travelled with Singapore Airlines we rang up their head office in London and asked them and they made a note on the computer that we had extra baggage allowance. Not sure if Cathay has a head office in UK but if they do give them a ring and see what they say?

Good luck - Karen

Guest chippie74

So Chippie you're off then, last time I spoke to you, your GF was having a bit of a wobbly moment.:swoon: :swoon:

Good Luck to you both down under and have a safe journey and enjoy.:cool: :cool:

Sam xx

hi there..shes still wobberly but i talked her into it!!!!!

hi karen i tried phoning cathay pacific office up in london..but the number they give me put me through to the spain desk!!!!! i was talking to a brick wall ..i have tried to send a email...but to now no reply

Guest koala12

Hi Chippie

How frustrating for you! Can you try contacting whoever booked your flights for you and ask them to find out for you? There must be someone somewhere that can help you.....it's ridiculous situation for you.

Good luck - Karen

• 1 month later...
Guest The Jenners

We flew over with Cathay in October and were utterly shocked at check-in.... 2 suitcases each, and were told that despite the luggage allowance printed as 30kg each on the ticket, it was actually 20kg each but he would let us have 25kg for no charge... big deal... no amount of pleading made a jot of difference, unfortunately....

I really, truly hope you get a response from your email to Cathay, but perhaps look at an alternative such as Seven Seas flying the bags over as cargo so you have a plan B? It's cheaper doing it like that than via the Excess Baggage Company at the airport - as we discovered.

Good luck :)

Archived