Tree Surgery, boom or bust in Oz?

Gavo

I have just applied for and been granted a 12 month working holiday visa, and am planning on beggining this at the start of 2010.

I am a qualified tree surgeon hoping to trade the south west of England for that of Oz, and intend to try and find work out there in this field, hopefully with a view to extending my stay there for another year, or perhaps permenantly.

There is so much uncertainty here in Blighty, and having been made redundant from a previous employer when the recession hit I am curious to learn of the effect on the Arborist's business over in Australia.

I have heard different and sometimes conflicting reports over this issue (and the employment issue in general) and it would be nice to know what i am letting myself in for. I have looked around a little, and there seem to be jobs in Melbourne and Sydney and i expect to end up going to both these areas.

I remain hopefull that the economic climate out there remains relatively stable, but i guess, like most places at the moment, no one can really gaurantee anything. I would expect that like here, smaller firms that depend mostly on private sector works may be suffering as people tighten their purse strings, whereas the larger companies that win the tenders for big scale public contracts (parks & gardens etc) are not being affected as much.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, and it would be very interesting to hear from anyone who runs a firm or lives out there, has been, or is in the same situation as me now, or anyone who is currently working as an Arborist in Southern Austrailia.

Cheers

Gavo

Guest June Pixie

Wrote a long reply then it deleted itself - Aghh!

Hi Gavo - my OH is an arborist and to be honest he has not looked into the job situation too much as yet - We will get the PR visa under another 60 point occupation although a tree surgeon is worth 60 points also at present.

He hasn't approached any companies in Adelaide yet until we get the visa as it's too early to secure any kind of job - He was thinking maybe going self employed but not sure if you could on a working holiday visa? We did notice that most of the arborist and tree climber jobs seemed to be in Sydney and Melbourne and not Adelaide.

There is a good website called Tree World and it's an Australian one - There's some good advice and job opportunities on there.

Good luck.

Guest flipflop

Trre surgeons can make big money if savvy, Oz gets very cold in the winter and loads of peopla are buying wood-burning stoves, keep the wood you cut down and start a buisness selling wood..might just work mate,

If you are stuck for where to go, have a look at Brisbane trying to find a tree surgeon who could come out when he said he would and charge a reasonable rate was bloomin hard work,lol. They always seem to be run of their feet especially coming into storm season.

Cal x

This is very true Flipflop, and i expect it will become more commonplace in certain areas to turn to wood fuels as an alternative energy source. We have our own wood burner here, and I get all my logs for free. Cant say fairer than that!

Cheers

Gav

Wrote a long reply then it deleted itself - Aghh!

Hi Gavo - my OH is an arborist and to be honest he has not looked into the job situation too much as yet - We will get the PR visa under another 60 point occupation although a tree surgeon is worth 60 points also at present.

He hasn't approached any companies in Adelaide yet until we get the visa as it's too early to secure any kind of job - He was thinking maybe going self employed but not sure if you could on a working holiday visa? We did notice that most of the arborist and tree climber jobs seemed to be in Sydney and Melbourne and not Adelaide.

There is a good website called Tree World and it's an Australian one - There's some good advice and job opportunities on there.

Good luck.

Just had a look, excellent website thanks, will post my question there too and see what else people say. Best of luck to you both and hope your OH finds something out there too.

Archived