Will wage support us for the first year

Guest hm23

Hi I have been offered a job as an Electrical Draughtsman in the Oakleigh area of Melbourne and wanted to know if the wages on offer would be enough to support me my wife and two kids aged 8 & 5. The wages they are offering is 57000 ASD about £25000 and it is our intention to rent our UK property out for the first year and rent a property in Oakleigh. I will have about £45,000 in redundancy money but want to try and keep as much of this as i can incase things dont work out and we come back to the UK. It will be my wifes intention to seek work after a few months of arriving but i need to know if we could live on my wages alone for the first year if need be. If anyone can help please drop me a line. Hope to arrive in Melbourne around March now if all goes well with Visas, Meds etc.

Thanks

Harvey & Kirsty Mcintyre

• 2 years later...
Hi I have been offered a job as an Electrical Draughtsman in the Oakleigh area of Melbourne and wanted to know if the wages on offer would be enough to support me my wife and two kids aged 8 & 5. The wages they are offering is 57000 ASD about £25000 and it is our intention to rent our UK property out for the first year and rent a property in Oakleigh. I will have about £45,000 in redundancy money but want to try and keep as much of this as i can incase things dont work out and we come back to the UK. It will be my wifes intention to seek work after a few months of arriving but i need to know if we could live on my wages alone for the first year if need be. If anyone can help please drop me a line. Hope to arrive in Melbourne around March now if all goes well with Visas, Meds etc.

Thanks

Harvey & Kirsty Mcintyre

I've been doing a lot of calculations and for the basics, $1000 food p/m, Mortgage or rent £1000 p/m and insurances, spend, school fees I need $3000, which works out at $40,000 a year ish to aim for. If you have been offered $57,000 then providing that you are careful about what property you buy, ie no more than $300,000 house or $1500 rent p/m you could manage i reckon.

Harvey & Kirsty

First question is how much do you currently live on in the UK? If you are both working there then cross out the luxury items and see what your base living costs are in the UK.

Costs from city to city are not that different except for housing costs. Australia is big so petrol costs can be higher but this is offset by the fact that you don't spend as much time stuck in traffic as in UK.

Budget your accomodation by checking out rents on Real Estate for Sale, Rent and Share @ Domain.com.au or local sites for Real Estate Agents in your chosen suburbs.

If you know your current cost of living and work out any +/- for difference in rent or mortgage you will feel a lot better about it. Are you selling a car in UK before you come...look to spend something similar over here and not buy a brand new car that you 20% on a soon as you leave the garage!

Here are some good sites:

Live in Victoria - Goods & Services Price List in Melbourne & Regional Victoria, Australia

https://www.businessmelbourne.com.au/info.cfm?top=301&pa=2905&pg=2908 shows Melbourne cheaper than Manchester

hope this helps

Liam

There is not much point in comparing with UK prices really. You will have to take out tax from that $57K - about $12.5K so your take home pay is going to be something like $3500 a month (rounding up). Out of that you are going to have to pay rent which is ball park $400 per week for nothing special. So your disposable income is going to be around $1500 a month - can you live on that? Petrol 1.35/l, phone plans 50/mo, private medical insurance 230/mo, power 50/mo, food 250 a week??? It racks up.

There is not much point in comparing with UK prices really. You will have to take out tax from that $57K - about $12.5K so your take home pay is going to be something like $3500 a month (rounding up). Out of that you are going to have to pay rent which is ball park $400 per week for nothing special. So your disposable income is going to be around $1500 a month - can you live on that? Petrol 1.35/l, phone plans 50/mo, private medical insurance 230/mo, power 50/mo, food 250 a week??? It racks up.

$230 a month for Medical Insurance ??? What extra do you get for that on top of the medicare payments that come out of your wages ? :swoon:

$230 a month for Medical Insurance ??? What extra do you get for that on top of the medicare payments that come out of your wages ? :swoon:

Private health insurance - purely optional but if you are over 30 the premiums increase for every year over 30 before you join up so that is quite a low premium. It covers private hospital care for conditions with which you have some say about who you want to perform the operation and where it is to be performed. For example - removal of gall bladder is elective surgery here, waiting time currently about 2 years. With private medical you can generally get seen and operated on within 1 - 2 months. May sound like an ok scenario unless you have to live with recurrent gall bladder pain for 2 years!!!! Private also covers (usually) dental and optical services plus some of the ancillary services like speech and physio therapies.

Of course, you dont have to take it out you can trust to luck and the public services and pay through the nose for your kids' braces and your new specs. It's a gamble as is all insurance. (should we add house contents insurance, motor insurance, motor registration, into the balance sheet as well, I forgot those as they come around only once a year - but the do come around with monotonous regularity!!!)

Guest BullcreekBob

G'day Harvey

You did not say what visa you will be one. That will have a significant effect on how adequately you get by on that salary.

If you are on a PR visa, you will be entitled to a number of allowances and benefits from the Australian government including Family Tax Benefit Part A (about $5,500pa) Family Tax Benefit Part B (about $2,600). There are other benefits too that you may get because of the low income including rent assistance and low income supplements. These allowances should contribute to ensure you get by reasonably well as long as your personal lifestyle or housing requirements are not out of proportion for a less than average income.

If you are of a temporary visa then you will get no government benefits and things will be much more difficult. I do not know of any families trying to get by in Melbourne of a family income of $3500/month after tax.

On the plus side, renting is substantially cheaper than buying here, with a mediocre deposit, buying a house is between twice and thrice as expensive as renting. So to but a house in Oakliegh may have mortgage repayments of $3,500/month (yes your total income) wherease renting could be as cheap as $1,300-$1,500/month.

Still, you need to asses what is important to you and your family's lifestyle, not all things can be measured in financial terms.

This is the problem I am having at the moment trying to get a feel of what wages people get incomparison to what we get over here.

For example, another thread about train drivers, advertises for drivers but if you qualify you go away to school for 73 weeks. That's OK but on what wage because it won't be the same as a driver that has passed out and is actually doing the job.

Also, some HGV drivers advertise between $20 and $26 per hour. So working on the $20 for a 5 day week, no overtime and say 40 hours a week equates to around $3200 before tax, medicare has been deducted.

So very confusing when you are not there experiencing what you do and don't have to pay and what costs what ?

Archived