Container checking?????

Guest tracy hunt

Guest tracy hunt

I was just wondering, do customs check all containers on arrival in Oz? And also can you arrange for someone to be present when that happens? I've read about a few cases where things have gone missing.

Guest tinbasher

Hi Tracy

Not 100% sure on this one, but I don't think that they check every container. We had quiet a few things that went missing but I don't think it was from the customs side of things. We believe they went walk about when the removal company got hold of them. Our things came in over Christmas so there was a long period of time when it was left lying around so perhaps that didn't help either. Any way to the thieving &%$^$ who made off with a large proportion of my hubbies tools I hope you cut your *&*&%^* hand off. :mad: (feel better now).

Mrs TinB

Guest madpomcow

Hi Guys,:chatterbox:

Just had another shipping firm around to give me a quote, he said that every container is checked because it goes into quaratine for 2 weeks they have to empty the container to do this. Also they have to check the wood etc .... I don't think you can be there to watch the container go through its check. Also groupage containers have alot more people handleling your Property but he explained that there are wooden partions to stop your stuff getting mixed up

Regards

Paula:daydreaming:

we were told by the customs that they check containers at random, our was checked and they pulled out golf trolley,garden post and shoes, some of these items were cleaned and we were charged. Don´t think you are allowed to be there, yes things do go walkabout

we had a lcd tv missing from a box when our items arrived at our house. The customs blamed the uk removers and vice versa and what a headache it was. My head hurts just thinking about it. We did eventualy get a small amount from the insurance but not enough to replace the tv as we coudnt prove which end it went missing how on earth as we suppose to !!!!

Guest tracy hunt

Thanks for the replies. Also, how clean do power tools have to be? i.e. drills. Bradley said he'll use a paint brush to get the dust out, but how clean do they expect tools to be?

Guest fatpom
Thanks for the replies. Also, how clean do power tools have to be? i.e. drills. Bradley said he'll use a paint brush to get the dust out, but how clean do they expect tools to be?

Spotlessly clean. AQIS (Quarantine & Inspection) are very stringent about preventing any organic material entering Aus. Organic material is often confiscated & destroyed. Items with organic material present or likely to contain organic material are steam cleaned or irradiated.

Guest koala12

I think they just check things randomly but obviously if they find something not right they would look into your container load more. We brought with some garden pots but they were disinfected and cleaned thoroughly before packing as were my OH's golf clubs. We didn't have any problem with anything thru customs but when our shipment arrived a whole box of was missing and has never turned up. We also had a few breakages and are waiting for the insurance company to pay up although it's been 6 months now and we are still having to pester them on a weekly basis! The shipping agents in Oz who delivered our stuff admitted that the box had gone missing in their custody so we're not sure what's taking the time......it's very frustrating but then I guess you can't expect to move your home from one side of the other and not have any problems!!!

Guest Pasty

Hi

I think they only check containers randomly so you could be lucky. We had everything shipped on a 40ft container and when we got it at our house it was a 20ft container so they emptied everything and checked and nothing but a glass got broken, my garden pots got broken when they were being unloaded (hubby hated them anyway). We didn't realise they had checked the Xmas tree untill Xmas when we got it out as they had carefully put it back in and resealed it. Hubbie had to get his work tools shipped separately and they all arrived, I guess we were just luck!

Jackie

Guest Nelson

We used John Mason whose agents here are Wridgways. I couldn't fault the British end of the arrangement but what a fiasco here. Loads of stuff damaged and missing; removals man turned up with a bottle of beer in his hand at 8.00 am and it went down hill from there. We had paid for a full pack/unpack service but the guys this end were very irritated to have to unpack. It seems that a few of my friends didn't want to unpack everything as they would only have to re-pack once they had bought houses etc..

Wridgways were VERY careless about the unpacking and just dumped everything where they stood. I hated every bit of that part of the move. We ended up with odd shoes, pieces missing off stuff, a whole leg missing from an Edwardian day bed, a box of clothes missing, a table missing :cry: BE WARNED!!!

Our container was checked and the boxes itemised on the invoice - garden stuff, golf clubs xmas decs - we didn't have to pay anything or have anything destroyed. Hubby had done a great job, even if our house smelt of Jeys cleaning fluid for weeks.

Nothing missing

Ali

Same here. Nothing missing or broken and I guess we were fortunate.

We were charged a 'cleaning' fee by customs for a pot or something which I was very surprised at as we had spent a great deal of time making sure everything was spotless (even dismantled the lawn mower into component parts and pressure washed them). Our friends also had the same experience which to me stinks or a 'tax' to pay for their time.........or maybe I'm just being cynical

Guest Nelson
How much was the cleaning fee?

We paid 15 quid to insure against this possibility and it apears to have been money well spent!

How much was the cleaning fee?

$75 but my wife tells me it was for disposal. If we wanted it cleaned and returned it was more. We also had equine equipment (saddle,reins etc.) and althought it was spotless we were still charged (another) $75 for them to spray. I would like to think of it as customs being thorough but it was probably us being :Randy-git: again

Guest fatpom
$75 but my wife tells me it was for disposal. If we wanted it cleaned and returned it was more. We also had equine equipment (saddle,reins etc.) and althought it was spotless we were still charged (another) $75 for them to spray. I would like to think of it as customs being thorough but it was probably us being :Randy-git: again

No you weren't being used :) The Australian environment is especially vulnerable to pest introduction due to the isolation for so many millennium. Also if you recall what happened in the UK with 'foot n mouth'.

Us poms have done enough damage with rabbit & foxes, but don't let the aussies ever forget they introduced the Cane Toad :)

Guest koala12

Oz is paranoid about letting anything nasty into the country which could affect it's crops or wildlife, etc. I remember the first time I came here on holiday about 4 years ago just before we landed the cabin crew actually walked through the cabins spraying which was apparently in case any passengers had anything on their clothing or shoes which could be brought into the country - I was astounded!

Guest dwaldron

I don't see it as paranoia at all, I think it's common sense and it is strict but it's also what keeps the country in the condition that it is.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for this level of protection hence we really did spend a lot of time making sure everything was spotless and were very surpised to get charged for this. I'd rather it was this way though and this is the price you pay.

Guest koala12

I didn't mean it as a bad thing.....I think it's good that they are so particular and if UK adopted the same policy about who and what they let in then perhaps everyone wouldn't be thinking of leaving in droves!

I didn't mean it as a bad thing.....I think it's good that they are so particular and if UK adopted the same policy about who and what they let in then perhaps everyone wouldn't be thinking of leaving in droves!

You hit the 'Nail on the Head' Koala.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mr mover

All containers of household goods into Australia are checked, the items are placed in a Bond store untill cleared by AQIS /Customs bond stores are monitored by CCTV, and stealing from Bond stores is a Federal offence and you can do serious jail time. In my 26 years in the business, i have never seen or heard of theft from our bond store, i hope the lady reported to Wridgways the beer incident, would be instant dismissil at our depot.

.....................mm

Guest dwaldron

Mr Mover I have just spent the weekend scrubbing garden tools etc there is no dirt on them but some are a bit rusty, do you think that will be a problem?

Guest Morven33

Does anyone know if they look in all your boxes too? I've got a funny feeling my son put a pair of football boots in his box and I didnt know everything had to be spotlessly clean before going. My moving company didnt inform us and my stuff was shipped before joining this forum!

S**t:embarrassed:

Guest dwaldron

Hopefully it will slip through but if not you'll get a big bill for cleaning/destruction that no doubt will far exceed the cost of the boots. When you unpack them make sure you scrub them with disinfectant/bleach just in case there is something on them!

Archived