Australin Citizenship

Guest sunseekers

Guest sunseekers

Hi guys,

Wonder if anyone can help me out....

When we got our residency visa ( skilled 175 ) our agent told us we could become citizens when we had been in oz 2 yrs. our agent has since gone bankcrupt and i'm now being told by fellow immigrants that its 4yrs not 2 !!!

This is a bit of a nightmare as my parents and brother are wanting to piggy back on my visa but cannot till im a citizen and they are already here on 1yr holiday visa's which they can only renew once (giving them the required 2yrs wait ) they are now freaking out at the thought of having to return to the Uk for the missing two years.

can anyone put me straight or point me in the right direction to find out cos my agent has bigger fish to fry...

Colette x:unsure:

Questions and answers on the new residence requirements

Have a look on this website - looks like it is 4 years, but I don't know that you have to be a citizen to sponsor someone. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I though you just had to be a permanent resident, and settled in Aus?!

Like I said though - I am not 100% sure, but I am sure someone in know will jump in if I am wrong!!

Cheers

Jules:laugh:

Guest Impatient

Defo 4 years now, although whether the change applied to people already in the system I cannot say.

Visa options for family members are at the link - the DIAC website has all this info guys and it really should be your first port of call...

Family - Visas & Immigration

Guest claire&fred

I am afraid it is 4 years now, it used to be 2.

But unless the rules have changed you do not have to be a Citizen here for your parents to have their Visa. My sister is not and nor am I and my mum got her Cont. Parent Visa and arrived here on Tuesday. My OH came out on a Permanent Resident 136 skilled Visa as did my Brother In Law. My sis and family have been here 5 years and have not even taken their Citizenship yet. We cannot take ours for 4 years, 3 now as have been here a year.

Hopefully someone else will see this thread and be more sure.

Claire

It depends when you validated your visa.

If it was validated before 30 June 2007 then it is 2 years provided you apply for your citizenship before June 2010.

If you validated after that date it is 4 years.

I have lost the link to the Australian government web site.

Yup 4 years Step 1: Am I eligible? – General eligibility unless you have been here since before June 2007

Guest sunseekers

thanks very much for your responces...

Just out of interest you say i dont have to be a citizen for my family to piggy back.....is there any rules regards how long iv been a resident as i only arrived 18th march 09 so 5 and a a half months ago...... when can they start preseedings of there own and where is the best place to start...

Thank you

Colette x

Hey Sunseekers!

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the if you have your pr, you only have to prove that you are settled here in order to sponsor someone. And, again from reading (somewhere!) I think you can prove that by showing you have, eg signed a 12 month lease, taken out xx years car finance, put kids in schools, taken up permanent jobs etc.

As for where to start - I am afraid I do not have a clue!!! But I am sure someone else will......

Good luck!

Jules :laugh:

(Off to have a look to see if I can find the "somewhere" where I read this stuff......)

Archived