P85 - Refund of UK tax on leaving

Guest dwaldron

Guest dwaldron

I have lodged mine in Manchester today only to be told that they take 8 weeks to get processed, so don't count on using your refund for a shopping stopover!

Guest nev_n_angie

If you are currently on PAYE - your tax is calculated on every pay cheque - monthly or weekly.

We all have a tax code - this is also recognised as free pay - ie. you do not pay tax on this amount. If it's 522 you are able to earn £5,225.00 each financial year without paying tax on it.

If your salary is £12,000 per year (Financial Year) - £5225.00 /12 =£435.42 per onth tax free - you will be taxed on £1000 - £435.42 = £564.58.

EG: If you leave your job/the Country 31st September 07, you will have earned £6000 and paid tax on that - BUT you will have only worked 6 months of the year and only had 6 months worth of 'free pay'. You may be able to get tax back that you've paid because you may not have had your full entitlement.

I HOPE THIS MAKES SENSE???????

If you leave you job within the financial year and do not earn money afterwards in UK - up to the end of the financial year - you may be entitled to Tax back!

I would recommend that EVERYONE completes the forms - if you're not entitled, then you've lost nothing!

Angie

Hi,

Great site this is, by the way.

Quick one for you. If you get a refund under form P85, will the income not be taxed seaparately in Oz under the double tax treaty (at a higher rate as well)?

Stub

Guest thepriceclan

Hi, my husband phoned me from work today and said his personnel told him that he will get all of his tax back when he leaves the end of September. Hope he does, nice big bonus!

Sarah.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Hayley370

Help! P85 duly completed, but where the hell do you send the blessed thing? I searched the website high and low and I couldn't find any address. I hope somebody can point me in the right direction as I am desperate to get it sent as I am very excited at the prospect of getting something back of the tax man! Yipeee

Guest thepriceclan

Hi Hayley,

If you look on the inland revenue website where you download the form P85 it tells you to send it to your local tax office, where you would have had your wages/tax sorted. There is a facility to find your local tax office from your postcode etc in the uk.

Hope this helps.

Sarah.

Guest thepriceclan

Hi Hayley, its says you used to live in Lincolnshire. This is the address of the tax office and phone number for that area.

Cromwell House

Crusader Road

LINCOLN

LN6 7TY

0845 302 1449

Sarah.

Guest Hayley370

Thanks so much for your help! Will now get it sent off! Let's hope we receive a nice cheque in the post!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Guest Hayley370

Thanks so much for your help! Will now get it sent off! Let's hope we receive a nice cheque in the post!?!?!?!?!?!?!

• 1 year later...
Guest cadski

Hi,

What if you are self employed and pay your own tax on every 6 months,

do you still get your tax back ?

Archived