For Me Is Has To Be Kings Canyon

minlady

In 1994 Polygram Filmed entertainment in association with The Australian Film Finance Corporation released a film which totally blew me away...... It caused a near riot at the Cannes film festival, won an Academy Award and blitzed the box offices everywhere. 'It's fun, daring, over-the-top and unforgettable...It's a road movie with an attitude and the occassional frock!!!'

The film I am talking about is THE ADVENTURES OF PRISCILLA QUEEN OF THE DESERT and to this day it is still one of my all time favouite films. The advert at the time of the film said: "They're unplugging their curling wands and going bush. Bernice (Terence Stamp) Mitzi (Hugo Weaving) and Felicia (Guy Pearce) take the outback by storm in this ab fab tale of 3 drag queens who hit the road in a pink bus called Pricilla and head for Alice Springs to perform a cabaret show like no other"

And because of this film I fell in love with Kings Canyon and the Australian outback persay..... On Wednesday 17th of April 1996 I full filled my dream and climbed Kings Canyon - just like the film and IT MADE MY DAY!!!

Kings Canyon is nestled in the George Gill Ranges set within the Watarrka National Park...I have cut and pasted the offical guide book description of the Canyon for you to read and hopefully wet your appetite to go and see for yourselves...Kings Canyon features ancient sandstone walls, modeled by the elements and rising up 100m to a plateau of rocky domes. This scenic landscape of rugged ranges, rock-holes, and moist gorges act as a refuge for many plants and animals, thus making the Park a significant conservation area as well as a major attraction of central Australia. Watarrka National Park is also home to many waterholes and areas of lush vegetation, which contain more than 600 plant species, 100 bird species, and 60 species of reptiles.

The park is located about 330km southwest of Alice Springs and can be reached by 4WD vehicles. Major walkways include The Kings Creek Walk, which is a 1.3km walk leading to the Kings Creek lookout point and The Kings Canyon Walk, a 6km walk leading to the stunning views of the buttressed domes of the Lost City and the Garden of Eden.

Believe me it's a spectacular place .... why not watch the film to wet your appetite!!

Miranda :wubclub:

sorry i have no photos as i visited in the days before digital technology but if you put in a search for the Canyon you will find loads of sites with photos xx

Hi Miranda

Now I really do want to borrow the video, please......I promise to watch it this time!!

What I find quite amazing about this part of Oz is how did these rocks get there?:confused:

We travelled for 8 hrs from Alice to Ayres Rock passing nothing but dead roos, then, in the middle of nowhere this great blinking rock.:shocked:

We never got to Kings Canyon so I'll have to make do with the film til next time!

Definately an amazing Country:yes:

Sam xx

• 10 months later...
Guest Pinhead

Kings Canyon is far better then Ayres Rock IMO. Completely amazing!

If you're doing Ayres Rock from Alice Springs definitely add Kings Canyon to your itinery.

Archived