Melton, Bacchus Marsh area in Victoria?

Maz

Hi

Moving to Melbourne in 4 weeks and so far been looking at Werribee, Point Cook area but just found out that my parents who are also moving out shortly cannot afford any of the properties in that area due to their house in uk losing a lot of value recently.

Having to start research all over again and wondered if anyone can tell me what Melton & Bacchus Marsh areas are like or does anyone have any other suggestions for nice areas suitable for families and not too far inland.

Thanks

Maz x

Melton is a satellite town with a lot of new housing and I am not sure whether your parents would like to live in such an area as I believe it would be mainly young people with young families. Bachus Marsh is also a growing area but is also an older area.

There is a report on Newscom this morning saying that the west is very much drier than the east so if gardening is your thing it may not be the area for the best rainfall.

Do you have tlive in the west. In the South and East you can find reasonable property prices in Cranbourne, Frankston (not north Frankston no no) Mornington Peninsula, Hastings, Tyabb, Somerville, Mornington is a bit pricey now. Baxter, Langwarrin.

Pakenham, Narre Warren South, Carrum Downs.

These of course are all suburbs a long long way from where you are looking and it may depend where you are working.

Hi Petals

Thanks for info, sorry to be ignorant but what do you mean by 'satellite' area? My parents need to live in same area as us so we will need to change where we are staying aswell!

My oh is a plumber and i work in real estate so will both be looking for jobs near new build work is going on or near CBD. Not keen on going as far down as Mornington as seems too far from city although looks beautiful!!

Gardening is not an issue for either of us. I've been very surprised at how few houses have pools, can you tell me if they know something i don't?

Thanks

Maz x

a satellite city is a self sufficient community a fair distance out of Melbourne If i am right? places like Melton, Werribee, Cranbourne were built as Satellite cities but over the years most have been built all the way too and some beyond except Melton. Melton has not got the best name I really don't know why (lived there for 3 years) but it takes about 15 minutes longer to get to the city from Werribee. Saying that though when i was over in Jan the ring road was almost built so it should be quicker.

Baccus Marsh is a further 15 minutes out from Melton different vibe from Melton it has country feel about it. small country town, home of the apple and was a large supplier of instant lawns until the drought. You can catch the train from both to get into the CBD anymore info just fire away

You could have a look at the local newspaper site Council - News | Melton Leader

As has been said Melton is a bit like Frankston it has a name from people who have no idea what it is really like but like to think they do.

There is nothing like trying out the area and if you do not like it then you can move. We are all different and like to do different things so really depends what interests are etc.

Pools are popula with some and not with othes and in my view do not add any value to a property here in Melbourne as us Melbournians know that we would not use it for about six months of the year. The beaches are handy and fine. If you have good heating then you can use the pool all year round. I find that most Brits seem to want a pool which is good for the pool builders. I think its easier to sell without a pool as one can be put in but not so easy to remove.

We used to have one but they are work and once people start to lie around and never get in it they have to go in my view.

• 11 months later...

We moved 6 months ago to a new build home in Darley which is a suburb of Bacchus Marsh. It's a great contrast to suburban Box Hill which is where we were before.

Three reasons for moving here -

1. House prices - some of the cheapest for a daily commute to Melbourne.

2. Commutablity - Fast comfortable VLine trains. A journey time to CBD of 40-55 mins. Zone 2 fares.

3. Rural, country town feel. Some very pretty scenery from our front door.

Three reasons for not moving here -

1. It's changing from a hidebound country town to being a commuter town - but it's not quite there yet. Some of the attitudes are a bit backward.

2. Bacchus Marsh has poor shopping - you have to travel to Melton or the Watergardens for a decent shops. Local cafes are quite poor. Not got the vibe of, say, Gisborne up the road.

3. Access to further and higher education is poor. This is a legacy of rural life. Nowadays, the tradies (and earth movers) are kings in our community.

That said, there is much work in progress. The dangerous Andrews Cutting on the Western Freeway is being replaced by a safer by-pass road. It'll cut journey times to Melton and Melbourne. The local council have published an excellent structure plan for the area which will dictate development over the next 20 years. I reckon we have a hidden gem here, which will slowly become more appreciated if Melbourne house prices continue to rise and the local community changes to one which is more diverse and cosmopolitan in outlook.

Postscript: 5th March 2011 -

Another vote for Bacchus Marsh, this time from Facebook -

Well done Foodworks, Bacchus Marsh. They now have an English Food Section (complete with Union Jacks). Weetabix, Heinz piccalilli and jaffa cakes purchased immediately at affordable prices. Saves a 60km round trip to Coles in Werribee!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
We moved 6 months ago to a new build home in Darley which is a suburb of Bacchus Marsh. It's a great contrast to suburban Box Hill which is where we were before.

Three reasons for moving here -

1. House prices - some of the cheapest for a daily commute to Melbourne.

2. Commutablity - Fast comfortable VLine trains. A journey time to CBD of 40-55 mins. Zone 2 fares.

3. Rural, country town feel. Some very pretty scenery from our front door.

Three reasons for not moving here -

1. It's changing from a hidebound country town to being a commuter town - but it's not quite there yet. Some of the attitudes are a bit backward.

2. Bacchus Marsh has poor shopping - you have to travel to Melton or the Watergardens for a decent shops. Local cafes are quite poor. Not got the vibe of, say, Gisborne up the road.

3. Access to further and higher education is poor. This is a legacy of rural life. Nowadays, the tradies (and earth movers) are kings in our community.

That said, there is much work in progress. The dangerous Andrews Cutting on the Western Freeway is being replaced by a safer by-pass road. It'll cut journey times to Melton and Melbourne. The local council have published an excellent structure plan for the area which will dictate development over the next 20 years. I reckon we have a hidden gem here, which will slowly become more appreciated if Melbourne house prices continue to rise and the local community changes to one which is more diverse and cosmopolitan in outlook.

Postscript: 5th March 2011 -

Another vote for Bacchus Marsh, this time from Facebook -

Well done Foodworks, Bacchus Marsh. They now have an English Food Section (complete with Union Jacks). Weetabix, Heinz piccalilli and jaffa cakes purchased immediately at affordable prices. Saves a 60km round trip to Coles in Werribee!

Hi

appreciate this is an old thread but just wondering what the area is like today? Moving from Qld to around here which will depend a lot on the local school but have a feel BM sounds nice? any comments good and bad would be helpful ? High schools any good? Thanks in advance

• 3 months later...
Hi

appreciate this is an old thread but just wondering what the area is like today? Moving from Qld to around here which will depend a lot on the local school but have a feel BM sounds nice? any comments good and bad would be helpful ? High schools any good? Thanks in advance

Bacchus Marsh goes from strength to strength!

- It's in the middle of a building boom, which means that house prices are currently good value.

- Commuting times to Melbourne are set to fall in the next few years as the railway system is being upgraded to separate out country express trains from "Metro" stoppers.

- The Woodgrove shopping centre in nearby Melton has just doubled in size with the new shops and restaurants due to open in December 2013.

- Bacchus Marsh still retains a country town feel. Get stuck into community activities and you'll meet people and find that this is a very friendly and helpful community.

- The National Broadband Network (NBN) is up and running all over Bacchus Marsh. This "fibre to the home" network offers 100mbps internet connectivity - amongst the fastest in the world.

Archived