Does games consoles etc work in Oz?

Maz

Hi,

Wondered if anyone could tell us if electrical things work in oz, by son has an x-box, playstation etc and he'd heard that although the consoles and games he already has will be ok to use over there, the consoles wouldn't be compatable with any new games he buys once there. Just trying to get an idea of what we'll be taking with us so we can get accurate quote from removal company coming today.

Cheers

Maz x

Guest jackie57
Hi,

Wondered if anyone could tell us if electrical things work in oz, by son has an x-box, playstation etc and he'd heard that although the consoles and games he already has will be ok to use over there, the consoles wouldn't be compatable with any new games he buys once there. Just trying to get an idea of what we'll be taking with us so we can get accurate quote from removal company coming today.

Cheers

Maz x

Hi

I actually e-mailed Nintendo about my Wii and had a lovely mail back saying that it would work, I would lose downloaded stuff and wouldnt be able to access Wii shop and my pictures would be upside down : )

Jackie

Thanks guys for your replies, thats a relief to know. Does that mean that any flat screen tvs & dvd recorders will also work?

Cheers

Maz x

No...the transmission systems for both analogue and digital TV are different in Australia.

However...two big "maybes" for you to ponder.

First, a lot of big-name sets are built for the international market these days and many can be adjusted on a menu screen to work in other countries, including Australia. Your instruction manual or a phone call the the manufacturer might be able to help you on this.

Second, even if you can't change your basic set to work in Australia, the addition of a set top box (a basic digital one to receive off-air digital telly or maybe a Foxtel or Austar one to receive cable or satellite TV) will work fine as long as it's plugged into some form of AV input.

Having said all that, some searching on PIO will reveal some horror stories of plasma and LCD screens damaged in transit. My personal choice would be, unless the set is very new and/or you know it has software to work would likely be not to ship it.

Bob

Frankly Maz, that's exactly what I did too--but if I suggested that without giving you all the options somebody would have piped up with a "yes, but!" post!

Good luck with the move--from the date in your sig you should be arriving just as spring gets going...a good time!

Bob

Archived