Car prices

Guest duckworth

Guest duckworth

Hi,

Will be moving to Melbourne in 2010 and was wondering why used car prices are so expensive?

I have a 10 year old BMW323ise auto in excellent condition over here worth circa £2000 to £2500 yet over in Oz ithe equivalent is A$ 10000 to 12000?

I appreciate people keep their cars longer in Oz and wear and tear is probably less over there but I still can't work out the huge premium!

Where is the value over in Oz ?will I be foced into buying a bloody Holden or even a Ford!

Any suggestions/

This is Australia, it's what the market will bear. Remember that we are a long way from anywhere so everything is going to be expensive. Wear and tear would be different - expect huge mileages but little rust. One of our cars is well over the 500,000km mark and still going sort of strong.

One that doesnt seem to hold its value, surprisingly, is Volvo - lots of jokes about Volvo drivers I know but you can often pick up a really good deal with them. If you dont mind driving a Volvo of course LOL

Anything euro or non-standard costs the earth; I was after a second hand Lotus Elise, 10K UK, 50K here. I bought a new Lancer Evo for the same money.

Japanese or loal construct are always going to be cheaper through trading partner agreements etc, you'll find some cars work out cheaper; the equivilent model Prado to mine is about 36K in the UK, mine was $56k new here.

You can console yourself with fuel and insurance being about half the price than you're paying over there though.

Archived