Electricals in Oz!!

Lady Tottington

Guest proud2beaussie

Televisions need to be tuned to Australian frequencies to work,DAB hasn't taken off here yet and mobile phones will work fine as long as they are not locked to a network,off course you need to get Australian sim cards for them.

You also need to remember that Australia uses a different shape electrical plug and socket so you will to either buy adaptors or change the plugs to suit the aussie system.

Guest iselinger

Oz uses DAB+ whilst the UK started with DAB and is now changing to DAB+. Some of the newer UK receivers will have both but the older ones will be just DAB and wont work over here. Check with you manufacturer.

UK TVs wont work over here without an Oz Freeview set top box. UK freeview is slightly different and so there is no point bringing a UK set top box or PVR.

Unlocked mobile phones work. Just buy a new Oz sim card but convert your old UK one to 'pay as you go' for return trips to the UK

Bring UK 4 way extension leads with you and change the plug on the lead to an Oz plug available at Bunnings ( B&Q) for $4

Ian

Guest iselinger

Forgot to say Foxtel = Sky. It is exactly the same, Murdoch and expensive but you can get a channel called 'UKTV'

Guest proud2beaussie
UK TVs wont work over here without an Oz Freeview set top box.
I bought a TV from the UK over here last year and it works fine,I just tuned it in to the Australian frequencies.works for me,but that maybe because it had setup options included and I just programmed them in.

It was a plasma screen on sale in the UK at a much cheaper price than I could get it here that's why I bought it,I asked the salesman if it would work in australia and he rang the manufacturer while I was in the store and they confirmed it would.

As for Foxtel-it's owned partly by the Murdoch organisation but also partly by Telstra and I have done comparisons with UK pay tv and it actually stacks up pretty well in comparison.

Guest iselinger
I bought a TV from the UK over here last year and it works fine

I stand corrected but you must have one of the few UK sets that is both PAL I (UK standard) and PAL G / B (Oz Standard) compatible. Both PAL but slightly different. The different types use different audio carrier frequency offsets (5.5MHz & 6.0 MHz), some UK sets will therefore get a picture but not sound.

A number of European suppliers provide multistandard sets on mainland Europe because various European countries have different standards but the UK tended to be supplied with PAL I sets or at least thats what was happening 18 months ago when I was last in the UK.

I guess the only safe thing to do is to study the manual carefully or contact the manufacturer as you did.

Guest proud2beaussie
I stand corrected but you must have one of the few UK sets that is both PAL I (UK standard) and PAL G / B (Oz Standard) compatible. Both PAL but slightly different. The different types use different audio carrier frequency offsets (5.5MHz & 6.0 MHz), some UK sets will therefore get a picture but not sound.

A number of European suppliers provide multistandard sets on mainland Europe because various European countries have different standards but the UK tended to be supplied with PAL I sets or at least thats what was happening 18 months ago when I was last in the UK.

I guess the only safe thing to do is to study the manual carefully or contact the manufacturer as you did.

I apologise for the tone of my post,I didn't mean it to appear that way,I was really just saying that I was lucky enough to score a plasma screen in the UK at a good price and I bought it because I was assured by the manufacturer that it will work here.

I know that most tv's from the UK do need something like a freeview box to work-but there are some that will work without it.

Cheers

Forgot to say Foxtel = Sky. It is exactly the same, Murdoch and expensive but you can get a channel called 'UKTV'

unless you're classed as living regionally in which case you can only get the poorer relation - Austar - which is not as good as Sky+ in my opinion!

Series Links randomly disappear & so you miss stuff, if you set recordings to start before/finish after specific program times - or even universally - they default back to standard randomly - I can't remember any more at the moment but those are the most annoying ones anyway. They're only minor I suppose but it's pretty annoying when you're watching something & the end's missed - again! We try not to record too much on the free to air channels as programs can end up to half an hour after they're scheduled to. I think there are more channels available on Foxtel too - we've got the top package & only have 5 music channels on Austar! The same package had about 20 in the UK - I'm not complaining :smile: but it costs more over here too!

It should be forcing us to watch less tv I suppose (& go out & do something less boring instead:laugh:) - but it's difficult with the dark evening's. Maybe when summer comes again we'll not be bothered about the number of channels we get & programmes we watch!

"Simple" answers to any of those questions aren't necessarily right. A few things:

1. A "basic" UK television will not work in Australia. There are differences in how the picture and sound is transmitted. However, many televisions these days are built for a world market and have software adjustments that allow you to receive programmes in lots of different countries. That's "many", not "all" though so it's worth checking.

2. The same applies to digital TV. The standard UK "Freeview" box will NOT receive Australian digital TV. However, as with point 1, many televisions with built-in digital tuners can, again, be adjusted on a menu to work. As before, no guarantees.

3. As many have pointed out, you can make virtually any UK set work here if you're willing to buy a set top box for digital...or take an Austar/Foxtel subscription.

4. Guess what. UK DAB and Aussie DAB are not compatible because Australia uses the more modern DAB+ system. However, SOME receivers sold in the UK in the past few years are built to receive either because rumours abound that the UK will eventually upgrade to DAB+ too. Again, worth a check.

5. Mobile phones are the easiest. Providing your phone isn't locked to a single UK network (and you can probably pay a guy in a small shop a tenner to unlock it for you--do this before leaving 'cause it's easier to find in the UK) then you just buy an Australian sim card and go.

The TV and DAB thing has been covered at length in other topics so if you want more info, a bit of searching will find more detail than you could ever want. However, it's the detail that means some people say "yeah sure, mine works" and others say "nope, mine doesn't". The truth is that it varies from model to model.

Bob

Archived