Are you a recent Migrant to Australia and been rejected for every job?

Guest Nickpollins

Hi Nick and other out there!!!!

I am new to this forum. I cam to Aussie (brisbane) during June 09. A qualified Chartered Accountant, applied more than 125 jobs with no luck at all even getting one single interview. I was lucky to meet 2 Recruitment Agents, who gave the same message i.e. my CV looks very impressive and it is the Aussie experience that is needed. They also went to the extent saying since my experience is in Globally present Companies I should stand an advantage. Seems nothing has come out.

When I was in UK for about a year my experience was different. Most of the Recruitment Agents met me based on my application and interviews came up after that. However, I am wondering why the system is different over here. Basically the Recruitment Agent is also not calling for a discussion.

Nick, you are right. There should be a forum for the expats who come over here to settle down with a job. However much we carry our experience the plug is pulled off under the tag of Aussie experience.

All the best and keep us posted

Regards

Amri

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Again,

Just met a friend of mine who is looking at someone to fill a vacany on the Motor Mechanic side. He has already commenced the search if there is any one who is interested let me know I will forward your information to him. Please note, I am not guaranteeing anything here and I am posting with the intention that I will be able to help someone who is going through the pain like me.

Regards

Amri

Guest fatpom

A few important things to consider when applying for jobs for the first time in Aus.

1) If your job requires even moderate knowledge of state & federal legislation & regulation then you'll need to prove you have this knowledge or perhaps take a lower position until it can be reasonable presumed you've acquired it?

2) If your job requires extensive local or national knowledge about your business sector then again you'll probably have to take a lower slot for a while.

3) Even if none of the above apply there's still sometimes the Aussie way of doing things through 'custom & practice' & to meet local environmental conditions (I don't mean 'green' environmental). You have to learn these practices to operate effectively.

On the other hand my first employer seemed paranoid that I was going to leave at the first opportunity. So going too low can create the suspicion that you're only trying to get some short term local experience before moving onwards, a bugger of a "Catch 22" situation. :smile:

This, from my experience, and others I know of is one of the most annoying things about Australia (and I am a local). People, including Australians returning from overseas to take up residency here, quite often seem to not have that overseas experience validated. I lived in the UK for several years and had a fabulous job, but when I returned here the interviewer didn't seem to understand the whole 'overseas experience' thing. I was quite dumbfounded about that, as there seemed to be quite a lot of disinterest in it. I had a great position with very well known UK government agency (Mmm....okay, HR person said blankly). I read in one of the papers that an expat had come home to find that being pretty much at the top of her game in Sth East Asia was met with 'er, er, er' here too, so had to return to Asian base again, the homecoming shattered. I ended up changing career when I came home from the UK, which fixed the situation, but I realise this isn't everyone's option (I went back to being a poor student !)

Guest brissybrit

Hi Everyone

New to the forum so bear with me!

I moved to Brisbane last year and in a year and a half i have only managed to work for three months, i have come across so many rejections based on the same excuses you talk about. I am at my wits end...

What makes is worse for me is that I am only on a 457 visa through my husbands company....i am pretty desperate to get some work even just a temp or part time position

I have been thinking about pursuing my hobby of photography further but don't want to do anything illegal so am currently looking into that possibility...i am starting to think i will probably hit the usual brick wall with this as well as my visa only allows for work and study so starting a small business may not even be an option....

If you do come up with some kind of expats recruitment i would love to hear about it

Good luck to everyone on the never ending quest of finding work....

Guest rjclue99

hello there,

My name is Rj and am from india. i was working in a cafe while studying my uni in australia, fell in love with an aussie girl. married and been here for 2yrs. i am a graphic designer student, but couln't get any job. my wife now works as a steward in a cafe brings bacon home. i am so broke and we live in poverty. i am from a rich family back home in india but din wanna ask money from them. now that winter there is not even a dish washing job. am in ballina, north coast, NSW. if this situation exist i am planning to take my wife to India where there is no need to be in poverty if you are a graphic designer. its very depressing for the moment. any one can suggest any new trick. i even have rsa and rcg for bar tender and gambling but no job. i still cant believe poverty exist so bad in australia, which is very disapointing.

Rj

Hi

Im Warren and Im trying to secure a furniture spray painting job her on gold coast or Brisbane or Sunshine Coast. Ive phoned, visited and emailed loads of companies with my resume but nothing going. Im finding it really hard and Im away from my family as they still in uk until i can get a job. I have applied for a few labourer jobs but they told me i need experience.

Very fustrated now.

Guest rjclue99

you would have seen my earlier post. yesterday i checked my bank account, i had -50 and a fine of over draw. have no penny and din know what to do. i am in Ballina NSW. i sold my motor-bike honda 250 which i had it like a baby for nearly 3grand. while walking home tears fell from my eyes. i had her for 3yrs nearly and din let me down in any circumstances, i kissed her good bye while the mechanic saw me with confusion..lol

free country, or freedom without being financially free has no meaning for it. u feel u r a slave to this system.

i cannot ask anyone for help as not many helping hands around but an advise to getting some job is any form would surely help me. they say its winter and so its all slow. i sometimes think the bills should realise its winter and pay by itself. :huh:

i can't believe this is even happening in my life.

Rj

Guest guest12791
The more this thread goes on I'm starting to wonder how much of the problem is down to discrimination.

I realy cant understand why the government gives out visas for certain skills in demand (as listed on Immi.gov.au)when there are no jobs. I can understand how australians have to look after their own workforce and thats all good but it is wrong for immigration and immigration agents! to take money when there are indeed no jobs for these people. Its terrible especially when children are involved.

Maybe the new way of sponsorship is better along with the reduction in pr visa because at least then at least a job is available on arrival. It seems that even if you have vast experience in your field, if its not australian experience then it dosent realy count. Also many say its who you know, well it can take years for some people to make new acquaintences, money runs out fast.

I wonder how young australians who study in britain are treated when they return to oz, wonder if they are told that they need australian experience too? Just a thought. Many australian post grad students decide to live in london and im told cornwall is like australia and many young ones live there too.

As i have said in previous posts my daughter got work in brisbane after about six hours of trying and my youngest just was shopping and chatting and the shop manager asked her if she wanted a job, must have been the fact that both were care free and loving brisbane and left the stress to mum!! Good luck job hunting everyone im sure it will work out in the end

Annemarie

I do think there are some fatal flaws in the immigratin process, the introduction of the CSL addresses part of the problem but the licencing and certifcates just seems ludicrous, if you're passed as suitably skilled to migrate you should have your UK quals recignised and automatically be issued with the relevant docs as part of the process.

I do not think it is discrimination though, at least not directly. 'Who you know' is equally prevalent in the UK, I was a contractor in the UK and rarely had to apply for jobs. Plus when I did apply the list of blue chip companies on my CV spoke volumes.

I am an employer here and I am having to be very careful not to discriminate in favour of UK applicants because the companies listed on the CV's of Aussie applicants mean nowt to me. I also find with consultants and sales they try to impress me by name checking their other clients and I'm like 'Yeah, right, okay' :)

I know this doesn't help anyone but don't take it personally, it's not because you're a migrant per se.

With so many multi-nationals these days it is worth doing some retrospective research on companies you have previously worked for to see if they have links with Aussie companies and highlight that on your CV - Company XXX part of the XXXX group which includes XXXX.

OH and I were lucky as I previously worked for CSC and he previously worked for Ernst & Young both of whom have a prescence in Perth.

Funnily enough in my field there is less expertise in Perth and when I am recruiting my manager is dubious if the candidate has no experience elsewhere, in putting forward a recommendation to appoint today I refered to the range of comapnies the candidate had worked at in Perth (I am learning!) but made a point of mentioning she had working in the UK too.

No-one of this thread seemed to be looking for IT work and I have posted a few times about opportunities available but if anyone is a QA expert (software testing +) then feel free to email me.

Jules

Archived