Permenant residency & Citizenship

Guest Fulwood

Guest Fulwood

With my VISA I will have PR, however how do I get citizenship, why would I get it and what does it entitle me to?

Sorry if this seems blunt (or obvious!) but I was asked the question last night and didn't know the answer!!!

Cheers

Guest JoanneHattersley
With my VISA I will have PR, however how do I get citizenship, why would I get it and what does it entitle me to?

Sorry if this seems blunt (or obvious!) but I was asked the question last night and didn't know the answer!!!

Cheers

You have to be here for 4 years now until you can apply for citizenship.

Citizenship gives you all the rights of every Australian and mainly the right to vote.

It means you are Visa-less!! You dont need to get resident return visas when you go overseas. You have an Aussie passport.

I got my citizenship on June 6th this year

Guest proud2beaussie

Probably the most important benefit is that becoming a citizen allows you to vote in state and federal elections,also being a citizen is a prerequisite for appying for many government jobs.

More information here.

Australian Citizenship

I think you have to wait four years and then pass the citizenship test.

If you are going to stay long term then of course it has kudos, you can vote in fact you have to vote if you are a citizen of Australia.

You can have an Australian passport and come and go as you please.

You will be entitled to become a member of parliament should you want to.

You can have dual nationality so have two passports we do.

We became citizens many moons ago as we thought if our children are Australian why not us.

Guest Fulwood

Thanks Guys and Congratulations johatts!

It makes perfect sense to get it when eligible. How difficult is it and what do you have to do?

Guest JoanneHattersley
Thanks Guys and Congratulations johatts!

It makes perfect sense to get it when eligible. How difficult is it and what do you have to do?

You have to sit a citizenship test. If you google it, u can get test samples and look at some questions. You put in your application, pay the $240 (it`ll go up by the time you do it!) and then wait to get your invite to your ceremony. Ours was good here in QLD as we were on QLD 150th Birthday!

Guest jen25

All the info you need should be on the grant letter. From what i can remeber, they will write to you after nearly four years of your five years PR visa asking if you would like to start the process of citizenship, then i think its a test. If after the five years of your PR visa you have not applied for citizenship, you have to apply for a PR visa extension.

Not too sure about the other benefits, think could can receive more state benefits and stuff like that and you can stay there for the rest of your life without a visa!

I may be wrong, but someone who knows better will be a long shortly..... cheers jen

Guest Impatient
You will be entitled to become a member of parliament should you want to.

You can have dual nationality so have two passports we do.

You have to give up your other nationality if you want to be an MP, but I think that is the only negative to having dual nationality and should not affect too many of us!

Guest mandisfam

When did the raise it from 2 years to 4 years to become a citizen??? Im sure it use to be just 2 years???

Thanks, Mandisfam

Guest Impatient

It did used to be 2 years, changed to 4 last year sometime. Although some of us are lucky and will get it in a few months! Well me and the monsters will, but Mrs Imp will have to wait the 4 years! lol

Guest proud2beaussie
If after the five years of your PR visa you have not applied for citizenship, you have to apply for a PR visa extension.

Not quite correct,once you are granted permanent residency you have that indefinetely,the only visa you need to apply for after 5 years is a RRV (Return Resident Visa) and you only need that if you wish to travel overseas,otherwise once you are granted PR you could in theory stay in Australia forever and would not have to apply for another visa,but in reality I think most people who do not become citizens would still apply for the RRV.

Getting the RRV is a fairly simple process.

Guest Malcontented

There is a big advantage to citizenship if your an oldie like me, you can't be thrown out because you don't contribute and you don't have to leave and then risk not getting back in. But it's such a fabulous place to live why wouldn't you want to be a citizen

Not quite correct,once you are granted permanent residency you have that indefinetely,the only visa you need to apply for after 5 years is a RRV (Return Resident Visa) and you only need that if you wish to travel overseas,otherwise once you are granted PR you could in theory stay in Australia forever and would not have to apply for another visa,but in reality I think most people who do not become citizens would still apply for the RRV.

Getting the RRV is a fairly simple process.

How long can you be out of the country before you need an RRV? Doesnt apply to holidays and stuff does it?

Guest JoanneHattersley

Yeah does apply to holidays! On your PR visa it gives a date that you have to be back in Oz by....

You may leave and return any date up til............... Something like that anyway!

Anytime you leave after that date you need a resident return visa

Yeah does apply to holidays! On your PR visa it gives a date that you have to be back in Oz by....

You may leave and return any date up til............... Something like that anyway!

Anytime you leave after that date you need a resident return visa

Got it, so PR is good for say 5 years by which time you can be a citizenship, if you don't take that option you need RRV every time you come and go...makes sense.

Doesnt make much difference to me cos get citizenship to go with the job, but something for OH and older kids (18 and travelling as dependant) to think about.

Thanks

Guest JoanneHattersley

Put it this way, before we got our citizenship I had looked on it as "somehting we had to go through" adn really hadnt looked at what it really meant.

Once I had sat through the ceremony, i appreciated it much much more.

Australians are also very proud of Brits who make the change! They were at my work anyway!

Guest Fulwood
Put it this way, before we got our citizenship I had looked on it as "somehting we had to go through" adn really hadnt looked at what it really meant.

Once I had sat through the ceremony, i appreciated it much much more.

Australians are also very proud of Brits who make the change! They were at my work anyway!

And rightly so! I think a lot of social problems within communities result from people failing to integrate. Without getting too deep on a forum on a Friday night I am very mindful that when I start my new life in Oz, it will be exactly that. A NEW LIFE and this will include integrating wherever possible and living the Australian life style. I'll look forward to the day where I can apply for Citizenship.

We had to make enquiries regarding booking the test etc., there wasn't a reminder telling us we were coming up to the date, it is very much upto you if you do it or not, but as Jo said, I've got lost of positive comments from Aussies for having taken citizenship. My son got a big hug off his teacher when he told her that he had done his ceremony. Having said that his other teacher hadn't realised he was English and thought he was Australian.

Guest fatpom

You have forgotten the most important reason to get citizenship!

If you get caught robbing bank or similar they can't deport once released from jail.

Guest Malcontented

Just to balance that comment, our citizenship ceremony was attended by four of the six councillors of the Scenic Rim inc the Mayor. My wife has a mixed choir here at our B & B and 25 members turned up and sang Australia Fair and if that doesn't make you proud to be an Australian then nothing will. I agree that Australians really do appreciate it when you take the pledge.

Guest valleylass

Dear all

An interesting thread, particularly as we got our PR visas on Friday! I attended my brother Citizenship ceremony in 2005 and it was just lovely as well as the culmination (for him and his family) of the hard work, leap of faith and conviction it took just to get over there. In fact it was the spirit in which the ceremony was conducted that made us consider the Australian way of life.....and here we are visas secured, house on the market, jobs to resign from.

valleylass

Guest Fulwood

There seem to be a theme of really positive posts flowing through this thread about those who have obtained "Citizenship" and the positive response of the Native Australians to those people.

I wonder if the UK will ever adopt something like this and whether such an option would ever encourage community cohesion between Native Brits and immigrants. Also, is this a bit deep for a Sunday night!

Thanks for the posts, this has been an interesting read.

I like your idea Fulwood, as my experience has been that people have been genuinely pleased that we've done it, the test by the way is free to do, but you have to have done it before you can apply for citizenship.

Archived