Hi everyone! Another new lost soul!

Guest coolmum1

Guest coolmum1

Hi everyone!

I'm a single mum and hope to move to oz with my now ten year old son! I'm an allied health professional and so need to stay close to hospitals, preferably oncology as that is where I work now.

Finding it really hard to sift through so much information! Can anyone give me any advice? My dream would be to live near hospital for work, beach for pleasure, great secondary school for my son to start in, with a great house in a fabulous but not too expensive neighbourhood! Whilst I know this is but a dream, any suggestions on suberbs etc would be fantastic!

We don't have any family out here so have no ties location-wise! It will be a great adventure! We do however adore the sunshine so queensland / nsw seems ideal!

Looking forward to chatting, thank you inadvance!

Hi everyone!

I'm a single mum and hope to move to oz with my now ten year old son! I'm an allied health professional and so need to stay close to hospitals, preferably oncology as that is where I work now.

Finding it really hard to sift through so much information! Can anyone give me any advice? My dream would be to live near hospital for work, beach for pleasure, great secondary school for my son to start in, with a great house in a fabulous but not too expensive neighbourhood! Whilst I know this is but a dream, any suggestions on suberbs etc would be fantastic!

We don't have any family out here so have no ties location-wise! It will be a great adventure! We do however adore the sunshine so queensland / nsw seems ideal!

Looking forward to chatting, thank you inadvance!

G'day mate, any thoughts on country Qld? Mackay (pop. 91,000), tropical central coastal area. There are 2 public hospitals and a nice private hospital, excellent beaches and sporting facilities for kids of all ages.

Real Estate Mackay - homehound.com.au

Mackay Qld: schools - Google Search

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest chris_mac

Hi Coolmum1

Welcome to poms in oz

Its a great site with a wealth of information and great friendly people... You will soon be addicted!

Bumping this up again in hope of the Ozzy nurse's picking it up..

Have you seen the official Nurses thread?

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/jobs-careers/30382-official-nurses-thread.html

If you have any questions you can send private messages by clicking on user name and drop down links appear... Or simply post up again..

Best wishes

Chris

Hi just want to welcome you to pio, hope you enjoy the site get all the answer's you are looking for as well as a laugh along the way to see you through the hard times!!

Be warned though it does become highly addictive x:arghh:

Welcome to the house of fun.....but just be warned your own home will be untidy forever more becuase you will "have" to keep logging on here.

Gosh, well it's hard to know where to suggest!! There are probably many places that meet your criterea. We live in the Bayside area in Brisbane. Local hospital is The Redlands. Good schools. Good housing at resonable cost. Beaches.....well that's where the plan hits the wall. We do have beaches, but not what you mean probably!! The Bayside is behind Strdbroke island so we are very sheltered and don't have waves! However, we're only about 45 mins from the fabulous Gold Coast beaches.

Hope you find somewhere fabulous to go.

Love

Rudi

x

Guest guest30038

Hi coolmum,

Brizzy is undergoing major expansions in nearly all it's hospitals. Many Northern suburbs would put you within 15 minutes to half an hour commute time Of the Prince Charles hospital, Redcliffe hospital, Caboolture hospital and the Brisbane Royal, and to the best of my knowledge, all are sponsoring or recruiting permanent residents.

Redcliffe and Sandgate beaches would be within easy reach but are sheltered by Moreton Island so no surf on any of Brizzy beaches, but Bribie would be half an hour away, and the Gold and sunny coast beaches an hour to an hour and a half, depending on where you live in Brizzy.

PM me if you need more details regarding brizzy North or the Prince Charles Hopital.

Good luck.

kev

Guest JoanneHattersley

Hi CoolMum

Welcome to PIO. The others are right, you will become addicted and house work does suffer!!!

Good Luck with everything. HAve a look at some of the areas near where you are thinking of working. www.ourbrisbane.com can give you some background to suburbs.

Have you applied for any jobs yet? Have you applied for a VISA? How far through the process are you?

Guest migration angel

Hi Coolmum,

There is a ton of great info out there and we are all here to help.

Lots of hrealth professionals are heading to Qld and Adelaide.

Here's a link to an agency who may help you with some info www.skillsshortageconsulting.com

Lots of info here on Adelaide. Make The Move :: Home

They are really encouraging people to "make the move". Even offering short term rentals if you are eligible.

Just shout if you need anything else :)

Guest coolmum1

Thanks everybody for all your links and info! I look forward to going through it and getting back to you!

Haven't yet started the visa process, will start that hopefully first thing in the new year. The remainder of this year I'm researching everything! As a single mum I'm sure this is key!

Reading loads of books about living and working in oz, reading magazines and going to a seminar later this year, has anyone been to one? I get the impression its lots of companies giving advice on moving, housing, shipping etc.

Looking forward to chatting and getting addicted to the site - the more I learn the more excited I get!

Queensland is not the best place for pay and conditions for nurses.

NSW or Victoria are far better.

I live on the Mid North Coast NSW, lovely environment, lovely beaches and lovely weather.

There is a very large hospital in Port Macquarie and another in Coffs Harbour.

Archived