Marine transit insurance

Phoenix

What is everyone's opinion on marine transit insurance?

At £2K this is a very expensive form of insurance, anyone not taken out this insurance, anyone has and had trouble claiming, anyone think that its a complete rip off and waste of time?

We just insured expensive items glad we did as my fridge freezer has a small den tin the door and my souround sound speakers where completly broken.Claim is on going at the moment.Had a couple of broken items that where not insured a chest of draws has bowed and the back was broken a coupleof kitchen dishes where broken.

sarah

We just insured expensive items glad we did as my fridge freezer has a small den tin the door and my souround sound speakers where completly broken.Claim is on going at the moment.Had a couple of broken items that where not insured a chest of draws has bowed and the back was broken a coupleof kitchen dishes where broken.

sarah

Do you mind if I ask how much you paid?, because I wouldn't rate that kinda of damage at much more than £400, and Id gladly not pay insurance if that's all the damage I suffer, and save £1500 into the bargain?

Guest bernie
What is everyone's opinion on marine transit insurance?

At £2K this is a very expensive form of insurance, anyone not taken out this insurance, anyone has and had trouble claiming, anyone think that its a complete rip off and waste of time?

Hi we arranged our own insurance company and not the shipping company's. They charged 1.6%, and everything seemed to be above board with them (they're registered with FSA I think?). The company in the UK is Letton Percival. We only paid £400 for insurance for all our stuff.

Hope this helps, good luck:spinny:

My fridge can not be repaired it cost £1200 my speaker where £150. we paid 3% of the total we insured.So insure expensive items the problem with the fridge is you can not get the parts here in australia frideg is only 2 years old.i think the speakers where broken by customs.

Would be very surprised a damage assessor lets you get full replacement value for what in your own words is a "small dent", maybe a few hundred quid... and this is where I always hate insurance because when you read the small print you cant help but spot the clauses that mitigate the amount they have to pay out,

1.6% may not sound bad, but 1.6% of what, we went through our household inventory and found that because we had so many 'fragile and high value' items they wanted to charge us an additional 30%, and then if we wanted the electrical items insured for anything more than loss or mechanical damage we had to pay more again.

Archived