Coober Pedy

Guest siamsusie

Guest siamsusie

Cooper Pedy in SA seems a fascinating place, an opal mining town, built with houses etc under the ground and into the caves

Interesting attractions in Coober Pedy include the mines, the graveyard, and the underground churches. The first tree ever seen in the town was welded together from scrap iron. It still sits on a hilltop overlooking the town. The local golf course - mostly played at night with glowing balls, to avoid daytime temperatures - is completely free of grass and golfers take a small piece of "turf" around to use for teeing off. As a result of correspondence between the two clubs the Coober Pedy golf club is the only club in the world to enjoy reciprocal rights at The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews[citation needed].Interesting attractions in Coober Pedy include the mines, the graveyard, and the underground churches.

Has anyone been there and seen this, would love to have your comments.

Guest siamsusie
no but i would love to visit (only)

julie

Same here Julie, must be fascinating, wonder if they all have SAD lamps:daydreaming:, I was thinking of asking my husband to replenish my costume jewellery with some lovely opals:idea: lol

Guest guest30038

Has anyone been there and seen this, would love to have your comments.

Deliverance II :biglaugh:

kev

strange just looking at the breaks in the paper fot there today, id love to go, my aunt went years ago she said she felt creeped out by it and chlaustrophobic is that how you spell it? there is a place i think in north africa, when we went there i remember something simm..

Guest siamsusie

strange just looking at the breaks in the paper fot there today, id love to go, my aunt went years ago she said she felt creeped out by it and chlaustrophobic is that how you spell it? there is a place i think in north africa, when we went there i remember something simm..

yes as Kev says Deliverance II.....:laugh: It sounds fascinating eh....

Went there in 1964 when it was a mere speck of what it is now.

Found a piece of 'potch', about the size of a 50 cent coin; gave it a bit of a scrape and ended up with a gem that I sent to my new sis-in-law for herbirthday. Worth? 500 quid in 1964 money.

Cheers. Bobj.

Not been there myself but read a book to my class about children who lived there and there lifestyle...this was while I was teaching in the UK. Now I am here I can't wait to go and visit. I spoke to an Australian lady who has been. She says you need to go in the winter as summer is just too unbearable. There are two hotels ...one is underground. Both reasonable rates. Not a lot to do but what is there is amazing...another world.

Guest siamsusie
Not been there myself but read a book to my class about children who lived there and there lifestyle...this was while I was teaching in the UK. Now I am here I can't wait to go and visit. I spoke to an Australian lady who has been. She says you need to go in the winter as summer is just too unbearable. There are two hotels ...one is underground. Both reasonable rates. Not a lot to do but what is there is amazing...another world.

Sally that must have enthralled the kiddies in school... will bear that in mind to visit in the winter.

Bob, what a lucky find, bet your sister in law was delighted with the wee pressie:hug:

Guest Magnetic6

Hi ss!

I've been to Coober Pedy in 1989 in my backpacking days. It's not a place i'd rush back to either, very hot, very dry. Backpackers/hotel i stayed in was underground, all a bit bizarre really. You know that scene in An American Werewolf in London where the yanks walk into a pub on the yorkshire moors, well it reminded me of that, lol. x

Guest siamsusie
Hi ss!

I've been to Coober Pedy in 1989 in my backpacking days. It's not a place i'd rush back to either, very hot, very dry. Backpackers/hotel i stayed in was underground, all a bit bizarre really. You know that scene in An American Werewolf in London where the yanks walk into a pub on the yorkshire moors, well it reminded me of that, lol. x

pmsl here Nats, I knew I could rely on you to discourage me hahah, I was hoping to come away with buckets of opals, I'll just have to whisk you off to Tassie then,:jiggy:thats if I cant persuade you to come and see me in woop woop land first lol:hug:

pmsl here Nats, I knew I could rely on you to discourage me hahah, I was hoping to come away with buckets of opals, I'll just have to whisk you off to Tassie then,:jiggy:thats if I cant persuade you to come and see me in woop woop land first lol

OI, Susie, try and find one of these in Tassie...

Picture1345.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

Bob thats brillient, tell me more please!!

G'day mate, 'tis a piece of Queensland boulder opal, from the SW of the state, near Quilpie. Got it many years ago. The crystal opal is extremely valuable at about $1500/carat...:biggrin:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest siamsusie

Hi there Bob, that is some amazing piece, love the colours, great piccie thanks for sharing ss xx

• 5 months later...

Hi, I drove there from Adelaide, stayed the night underground, visited the breakaways then drove back!

Actually it was a fantastic place, great for photography and like knowhere else.

Great scenery getting there too (but the same on the way back!)

I would recommend it as it was an eye-opener and well worth the trip :biggrin:

Guest Tom the Pom

I read somewhere Coober Pedy means 'White man's hole' in Abo.

It has one of the highest crime rates per population in Oz (due to explosives being easily available) and best of all......

......Mad Max was filmed there!!!

Archived