Policemen & Teachers

Guest TheBigDecision

Guest TheBigDecision

Hi!

I'm just looking for some advice on the above. My husband & I are hoping to retrain completely, so we're talking a long time before a possible move, but just wondered....

My hubbie is hoping to train as a policeman :policeman:in the UK (part way through application now), but wanted to know how much experience you need to be taken seriously to get a position in Oz...

Likewise with teaching - I have a place on pgce next year - could I get a job in Oz having reached QTS only or would it be better to get several years experience?

Also, we will be going to Sydney next year to visit father-in-law and to do some research as this is an obvious starting point for us but is it easier to get a job elsewhere?

Thanks for any advice! :biggrin:

Both of those are recession proof occupations and so there is a fair demand on vacancies at the moment. However the NSW police force are always looking for recruits and you dont have to have much, if anything, by way of experience elsewhere - however postings maybe just not in the locations you would want to live in. Ditto with teaching - unless you can get some in need speciality under your belt like special ed or you have advanced maths or science, you are likely to be placed somewhere that no one else wants to go in the first instance. As long as you are prepared to do that and to take the out of the way placements, you should get your foot in the door. Just in case it all goes pear shaped I would get QTS in UK then you can always return there and get a job if you need to.

If I were you I would be avoiding anywhere near any inlaws because it skews the dynamics in your own little family and you really need to be your unit against the world rather than you against him and his family.

Archived