Opinions on Wellington Point and Cleveland please!!

Guest Bettyboop

Guest Bettyboop

I am laughing at you two!!!! I am great thanks Raych - getting really excited our furniture is leaving next friday!!! I will be sitting on floor and sleeping on air beds for 8 weeks but it will all be worth it!! I definately will NOT be working either!! I do work at the moment but I wont be when we get to Oz - I will become a lady who lunches too!! hopefully with you, Rudi and anyone else who is free!! I am Teaching Assistant here and I am studying with the hope that one day I will be a teacher but we are talking years away yet!! so I am looking forward to becoming a lady of leisure!! I cant wait !!

Anyway must go I have three hungry children here!!

Hope you are both well and Raych tell your husband its Bayside all the way!!

love Angie xxxx

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest r17ych

Ok Bayside all the way it is! Sleeping on the floor hey!!! watch out for those pesky little critters!!!! Only joking, it's your house and I am sure you do everything you can to keep them away like me. Aren't I mean putting that thought in your head but I'm sure its already there anyway isn't it?

Sorry,

Love

Raych xxx

Guest Bettyboop

Believe me Raych you dont need to put that idea into my head!! I am always on the lookout for spiders!! although at the moment the wasps are whats driving me mad!! we have loads of them around here!! I cant believe that my furniture is all going next week and then the following week my hubby goes!! its all so real now!! Hows things your end?? is your hubby loving it?? I am just frantically clearing out cupboards and getting rid of so much stuff its a great feeling to be clearing out my life like this!! I plan to be far more organised in Oz and not hold on to so much stuff - mmm we will see!!!

Are you like me and finding one day you are really excited and the next thinking OMG what am I doing?? :arghh: although if I am honest my moods can change by the minute and not the day!!!! Mostly though I am excited, sometimes I get really overwhelmed with it all but I am trying to just go with the flow!! Wish I could just click my fingers and be there - not having to go through any of the good byes or all this waiting!!!

take care and it will soon be your turn to sleep on the floor with the spiders!! :wink:

love Angie xxx

We have these handy little things called "bombs" here! NOOOOO, I am not a terrorist!!!

Basically you bomb your house every few months with a simple click of the button and it keeps the little critters away.

I bet it's mental at your place at the moment Angie!!! Just before we were due to leave the UK my hubby buggered off to Singapore (that is where we headed first) and left me to pack up the house and organise the move. Typical!

Love

Rudi

x

Guest Bettyboop

It really is mental in my house at the moment - and thats just me!!! My furniture goes, then a few days later my hubby goes and then I am left here for about 8 weeks with nothing!!! will make sure at least one of the wine glasses stay though!!!! I have to stay here until 14th October because I have an exam to sit and if I dont sit it I will fail my whole year so thats why I cant go with my husband! We also decided it would probably be better to live without the furniture in England for 8 weeks being as we have friends and family that can loan me things or if all else fails I can move in with my mum for a while - whereas living in Oz with nothing for that length of time we would end up buying lots more than we really want to!! Its hard knowing what to do for the best so we are just making decisions and hoping they turn out ok!!

I am not looking forward to 8 weeks here while my husband is in Oz, I think it will be the longest 8 weeks ever - nor am I looking forward to the flight on my own with the children!!!:arghh: but like I said earlier to Raych I know once I get there it will all be worth it.

I had heard about the house bomb - have asked hubby to do it before I even get there!! I will do whatever it takes to keep them out of my house!!!

I am finding at the moment this site is what is keeping me going!! none of my friends or family here understand what I am going through and I am on egg shells with a lot of them unable to mention Australia too much otherwise I am setting them off crying or they are just not that interested!! so glad I have you all on here and it makes me realise that I am not losing the plot what I am going through it quite normal!!

love

Angie xx:hug:

And there is me thinking I am bad at geography :laugh:, yes it is round melbourne.

But providing hubbie likes what he sees in a few weeks time, (which I know he will ) then we will be relocating in December, just have xmas here as family is here and the go to the "real australia" So pleaes dont have me commited if you see me, it would have been an awful lot of upheaval for nothing :notworthy:

Angie, these weeks ahead will be dauniting, but I reackon it is a good way of doing things, you are right you do spend quite a bit of money on buying immediate things that you need, and it also means that kids still have some sort of normality (well a little anyway) whereas when we got here, they had no idea what hit them, and it was very hard finding out where we wanted to be etc as kids did not want to spend to much time in the car driving round looking at areas, well mine were only 4 and 2 a the time, sure if your kids are older that would not be such an issue for you. And at least you will come in time for the lovely summer.

Rudi: Hope docs goes well, funnily going there myself today, with both of mine, one has slapped cheek syndrome I reackon (what a great name eh) and the other is having problems with number 2's, bless him, and I will just go along for the sake of it

And cough up the usual $65, which thanks god we have now passed the threshold so claim most of that back.

I am riveting on again.

Mads

x

PS does someone else have the problmes with inserting emoticons? it is forever telling me I am only allowed two, so I delete about 8 and then it still tells me I have 4 left, but I dont ........

[Q

Guest ABCDiamond

I've lived here in the Brisbane Bayside, for 7 years now, and agree that it is an area that should be looked at, unless you want city living.

I do however, recommend avoiding the gated complexes. From what I have heard over the years, many of the people that do not like the area seem to have lived in those complexes. I haven't, but would be concerned enough, from what I have heard, to avoid them.

Guest maidbabes

this is answer to couple of posts back I think!!!!!

Hi

Most of my job is dealt with swine flu enquiries and symptoms at the moment,though fingers crossed it has slowed down now.Tamiflu is given to those at high risk of complications only,and people who have severe symptoms-it should be given within the first 48 hours of onset of symptoms-swabs no longer necessary to diagnose before treatment.see www.health.qld.gov.au/swineflu for the upto date info or if in Qld already call 13HEALTH you may even get me on the other end!!!!!

As for work,on arrival i thought i'd like not working but I actually really enjoy my job,full time was too much but part time is nice.I like coffee of course but have to be able to pay for it.Husbands wage needs supplementing 3 boys of my kids ages are very expensive.Speaking of which my 17 yr old passed his driving test yeasterday ,so proud of him.He finishes school this year too-no idea what to do but hey he can drive,oh and surf-he'll be right mate!!!!!

local saying btw.

Will be great to all meet up and even if you don't settle here we can come visit.Bulimba is a nice suburb btw, we have been there many times for rugby games and the cinema is a nice suburb and close to citykat -so would be worth looking into.

Lara

xxxx

Guest Bettyboop

Lara I think you may well be right!! I am so looking forward to not working but I am the sort of person who loves being around people and I do really enjoy my job for the social side of it as well as the money!! so it is possible that after a few months I will be climbing the walls and need to get out!! I too have 3 children who cost a small fortune! I am hoping that it will be cheaper to keep them entertained though in Oz because of all the outdoor activities you can do for little or no money, over here throughout the holidays and weekends I either have to pay to take them bowling or cinema etc or let them spend all their time on Playstation or infront of TV!! We are 4 weeks into our schools hols and this week so far is the best and its only Tuesday!! its been rain pretty much every day and my kids have just spent the four weeks arguing with me being a referee!! they are so bored stuck in the house its crazy!! but the sun is out now so we are making the most of it!!!

Well done to your eldest son for passing his driving test!! you must be so proud.

Looking forward to meeting up with you when I arrive - enjoy your coffee with Rudi!!!

love

Angie xx

Guest Bettyboop

ABC diamond - thanks for your reply, I did initially look on the net at a couple of houses in Ormiston that were in a gated road and I must admit I was not sure that it was for me. With 3 children my house tends to get a bit noisy and I was not sure I would fit in to that environment!!! I am also one of these people that loves having people round and always have other peoples children in my house coming and going - I am mad I know but I love it!! so always lots of noise in my house!! I wonder if maybe you would feel a bit more isolated in a gated community? I may be totally wrong as I have never lived in one!!

Angie x

Guest r17ych
Believe me Raych you dont need to put that idea into my head!! I am always on the lookout for spiders!! although at the moment the wasps are whats driving me mad!! we have loads of them around here!! I cant believe that my furniture is all going next week and then the following week my hubby goes!! its all so real now!! Hows things your end?? is your hubby loving it?? I am just frantically clearing out cupboards and getting rid of so much stuff its a great feeling to be clearing out my life like this!! I plan to be far more organised in Oz and not hold on to so much stuff - mmm we will see!!!

Are you like me and finding one day you are really excited and the next thinking OMG what am I doing?? :arghh: although if I am honest my moods can change by the minute and not the day!!!! Mostly though I am excited, sometimes I get really overwhelmed with it all but I am trying to just go with the flow!! Wish I could just click my fingers and be there - not having to go through any of the good byes or all this waiting!!!

take care and it will soon be your turn to sleep on the floor with the spiders!!

love Angie xxx

Hey kiddo, yes Paul has fallen in love with the place. It was so nice to see him again as we have never beenapart for so long without speaking, nearly a full 24 hours while he was travelling. I bought him flight socks, but guess what he didn't wear them and now he is getting fed up with me saying "are you alright, have you any pain in your legs, let me see are they still swollen?" He was lucky on the flight home he got upgraded to buisness class from Brisbane to Dubai and the seats he booked ffrom Dubai to Manchester were good seats with legroom anyway. He had a good scout around but has listened to what the people at his company have said about living nearer the city so that I don't feel isolated. Although he also acknowledges that they don't know me and my desire to live nearer the coast because of Britt's hayfever, humidity and my new best friends. He says that I would like North Lakes but up to now I am still favouring bayside, at least until I get there and see for myself.

I am so envious of you because you, at least, have had your visas approved. I have this horrible feeling that something is going to happen and we won't get there. I was reading on another forum today that Australia, because it is the first country to hit winter, is going to be watched very closely as regards to swine flu and depending on what happens might stop immigration as a precaution and as England has one of the highest levels of infection (gobsmacked to learn this) and deaths we might not get in. Since Paul has been there and fallen in love with the place it has made us even more anxious.

I am like you and determined to live a minimalistic life out there and not hoard as much. I have already started selling things on ebay because we aren't taking anything but clothes, dog and hopefully my car with us. I got £213.57 for my semi bloody commercial treadmill! Paid £1500 for it 2 years ago and feel like they have had my pants down as it is in perfect condition. Hope they fly off the end off it the cheap skate b*****ds!

Look after yourself and keep fingers crossed our visas get passed, you never know we might end up on same flight, what a blast..... tears, snot, laughter and champagne!!

Take care,

Love,

Raych xxx

(incey wincey spider climbed up bettyboops bed, incey wincey spider bit bettyboops head!!! lol, sorry kiddo!) xxx:hug:

Guest r17ych
And there is me thinking I am bad at geography :laugh:, yes it is round melbourne.

But providing hubbie likes what he sees in a few weeks time, (which I know he will ) then we will be relocating in December, just have xmas here as family is here and the go to the "real australia" So pleaes dont have me commited if you see me, it would have been an awful lot of upheaval for nothing

Angie, these weeks ahead will be dauniting, but I reackon it is a good way of doing things, you are right you do spend quite a bit of money on buying immediate things that you need, and it also means that kids still have some sort of normality (well a little anyway) whereas when we got here, they had no idea what hit them, and it was very hard finding out where we wanted to be etc as kids did not want to spend to much time in the car driving round looking at areas, well mine were only 4 and 2 a the time, sure if your kids are older that would not be such an issue for you. And at least you will come in time for the lovely summer.

Rudi: Hope docs goes well, funnily going there myself today, with both of mine, one has slapped cheek syndrome I reackon (what a great name eh) and the other is having problems with number 2's, bless him, and I will just go along for the sake of it

And cough up the usual $65, which thanks god we have now passed the threshold so claim most of that back.

I am riveting on again.

Mads

x

PS does someone else have the problmes with inserting emoticons? it is forever telling me I am only allowed two, so I delete about 8 and then it still tells me I have 4 left, but I dont ........

[Q

Sorry kiddo didn't know you were moving there, but it gave me a laugh anyway. Whats the story (morning glory) with your husband, why is he going out there, has he a job offer?

Stop smacking your kids in the chops or you will get locked up anyway!!! only joking hope they are both ok, Britt had the same trouble with her bowels when she was younger and still has really, have you tried lactulose and senokot?

I too am having the problems with emoticons.

Take care,

Speak soon,

Love

Raychxxx:hug:

Guest r17ych
I've lived here in the Brisbane Bayside, for 7 years now, and agree that it is an area that should be looked at, unless you want city living.

I do however, recommend avoiding the gated complexes. From what I have heard over the years, many of the people that do not like the area seem to have lived in those complexes. I haven't, but would be concerned enough, from what I have heard, to avoid them.

Welcome to our little mothers meeting ABCDiamond. My husband was told this about gated complexes also. Thanks for your input it was most appreciated.

Love

Raych x

Guest r17ych
this is answer to couple of posts back I think!!!!!

Hi

Most of my job is dealt with swine flu enquiries and symptoms at the moment,though fingers crossed it has slowed down now.Tamiflu is given to those at high risk of complications only,and people who have severe symptoms-it should be given within the first 48 hours of onset of symptoms-swabs no longer necessary to diagnose before treatment.see www.health.qld.gov.au/swineflu for the upto date info or if in Qld already call 13HEALTH you may even get me on the other end!!!!!

As for work,on arrival i thought i'd like not working but I actually really enjoy my job,full time was too much but part time is nice.I like coffee of course but have to be able to pay for it.Husbands wage needs supplementing 3 boys of my kids ages are very expensive.Speaking of which my 17 yr old passed his driving test yeasterday ,so proud of him.He finishes school this year too-no idea what to do but hey he can drive,oh and surf-he'll be right mate!!!!!

local saying btw.

Will be great to all meet up and even if you don't settle here we can come visit.Bulimba is a nice suburb btw, we have been there many times for rugby games and the cinema is a nice suburb and close to citykat -so would be worth looking into.

Lara

xxxx

Hey Lara,

I was reading a mail I received form expatforum.com and it had an article on swine flu in oz. It was saying that the eyes of the world were on Oz because it was one of the countries to hit winter first and depending on the outcome they would cancel or at least restrict immigration and UK having the most infections and deaths from this would certainly be affected.

If we do get our visas approved, then I was thinking about bringing tamiflu with us anyway, as it is actually too easy to get it here. I would actually question how many people have contracted this virus over the world since swabbing was cancelled because of all the people I know who have supposedly come down with this and been prescribed tamiflu I have not been convinced over one of them. Everybody has panicked and the slightest symptom of a cold or flu has ended up with them being prescribed the drug. This in my humble opinion has exagerrated the figures considerably.

I also read that this was a human manufactured virus that got out through contaminated eggs into the public domain!! Very frightening! My nan always said that because we don't have world wars anymore (please God) that other ways, like man made illnesses will help cull the population!!! Maybe she was right after all.

I am so glad you like your job, and if I had the qualifications and experience you do, I would feel the same. Yours must be one of the most interesting jobs you could have, which is a good job seeing as you have 3 children, I only have one.

Congratulations to your eldest!

Speak soon,

Raych xxx:hug:

Guest r17ych
Lara I think you may well be right!! I am so looking forward to not working but I am the sort of person who loves being around people and I do really enjoy my job for the social side of it as well as the money!! so it is possible that after a few months I will be climbing the walls and need to get out!! I too have 3 children who cost a small fortune! I am hoping that it will be cheaper to keep them entertained though in Oz because of all the outdoor activities you can do for little or no money, over here throughout the holidays and weekends I either have to pay to take them bowling or cinema etc or let them spend all their time on Playstation or infront of TV!! We are 4 weeks into our schools hols and this week so far is the best and its only Tuesday!! its been rain pretty much every day and my kids have just spent the four weeks arguing with me being a referee!! they are so bored stuck in the house its crazy!! but the sun is out now so we are making the most of it!!!

Well done to your eldest son for passing his driving test!! you must be so proud.

Looking forward to meeting up with you when I arrive - enjoy your coffee with Rudi!!!

love

Angie xx

HEY!!! Traitor we're not even there yet and you're already planning on leaving me on me lonesome!:shocked:

Good job I got Rudi!!!!!!!!!!!!:wink:

Love

Raych xxx

Guest Bettyboop

hiya mate!! glad to hear your hubby got home safely and loved Oz!! mind you whats not to love!!! seriously though if you do end up living in North Lakes or around there we will still meet up anyway its not that far from bayside - my hubby knows a few people from his works that live around there and have said it is lovely. What is your plan - will you be picking the area when you get there? if so where will you stay in the mean time? Will your husband be going on the 457 visa? wouldn't that be great if you do get out there in October/November be good to be settled by christmas.

I have been selling loads!! and same as you I am not getting anywhere near what I paid for anything - its heartbreaking!! and the kids are taking everything out of my pile of stuff to sell!!

I didnt realise the UK was so bad with swine flu - thats really shocking!! its all really stressful and I keep thinking at least when I get to oz in October it will be nearly their summer so am hoping I will be leaving the worst of it behind me!!!! I really hope you get out there soon - I am so stressed with the whole thing, one day I am in tears and then the next I am so excited I cant contain msyelf!! I just want to feel normal again - well as normal as I could ever be anyway!!!!

If I were you I would research all the areas that your hubby has looked at and all the areas people at work have told him about, look at schools, hospitals near by, train links, crime statistics, house rental prices etc and see what looks best for you all. Thats what I have been doing for the last couple of months I have been on computer for hours and hours googling all these different areas trying to find what best suits us. Theres a link on here with someone asking about North Lakes too so I would have a look at that if I were you. When I was in Brisbane for the week me and my hubby, Stuart, went on nearly all the train lines out of South Bank (which is where he will be working) and we jumped on and off the train looking at different places. We also really liked Sandgate and Redcliffe which was on the Shorncliffe line, we went on the train line that went up to sunshine coast but was too much of a commute and you had to change trains to get to the area we liked and we went on the train to Gold Coast but areas we liked there were very close to Gold Coast and again too much of a commute. The only line we did not go on was the one that went far North. When we initially went on the Cleveland line we felt as though the train journey was too long and very slow but since we have returned home one of my husbands friends from work has moved to Cleveland Marina and he said there are express trains that run in rush hour so journey is not as long and he is finding the commute into the CBD fine. My reasons for picking Cleveland or Wellington point are that I love the water around me, the parks that they have there with the BBQs, the shops and coffee shops. I was picturing myself alone in these areas thinking if I dont make friends could I be happy with whats around me, could I go for a nice walk along the water front or around the marina in cleveland or the shops and sit and have a coffee alone and I decided that yes I could. I do not want to live somewhere that I am surrounded by houses but not much scenery or places of interest - I enjoy wandering around my little town where I live now and am happy to do that on my own. So thats my reasons for where I am looking to live!!! but for you it may be very different and may not suit what you want out of your area but where ever you decide you will still be stuck with me!!! we are in this together now!!!:biglaugh:

Anyway I will catch you later!!

love

Angie xxxx

Guest ABCDiamond
Welcome to our little mothers meeting ABCDiamond. My husband was told this about gated complexes also. Thanks for your input it was most appreciated.

Love

Raych x

Mothers meeting !!! Oh god, how come I always end up talking to the nice friendly ladies :laugh:

Hello fellow mothers and ABC

Sorry, I have been busy so haven't been on for a couple of days!

Well I am glad to report that my daughter has not broken her thumb. Apparently her injury is a really common one for divers and she has had a thumb guard made to protect it. She will try it out this arvo so we will see how it goes!

Will try and reply properly this evening to some of the posts that have been made since I was last on!

Take care

Love

Rudi

x

Guest r17ych
Mothers meeting !!! Oh god, how come I always end up talking to the nice friendly ladies

You must be in touch with your feminine side :wubclub: we don't discriminate all types welcome:wink:.

Love

Raych x

Hi ladies

Well I met Lara today.....it was awful!! She had 2 heads, 6 fingers on each hand and the worst case of halitosis I have ever seen...in both mouths!!

She was lovely! A really nice person......hopefully we will meet again soon.....I guess it depends what she thought of me!!!

Love

Rudi

x

Guest r17ych

Glad you had a nice time Rudi what did you do? Did you wear a red rose in your lapel or did she recognise you from your plaits hanging out of your skirt?

Love

Raych xxx

Guest Bettyboop

Hi Rudi I am glad it all went well!! I will be really nervous when I meet all of you!! and I talk even more when I am nervous than I do normally!!!:chatterbox: anyway back to my packing!! or should I say throwing away!!

chat to you soon xxx

Guest maidbabes

Sorry for not replying but have been working and such.youngest just gone on his school camp today-the weather is fantastic, off for a bike ride to the library soon.

It was nice to meet Catherine-Rudi, we hopefully will catch up again and wth you guys when you arrive soon........

Lara

Hi Rudi I am glad it all went well!! I will be really nervous when I meet all of you!! and I talk even more when I am nervous than I do normally!!!:chatterbox: anyway back to my packing!! or should I say throwing away!!

chat to you soon xxx

LOL, don't worry, you will be in good company in the talking department!!! :laugh:

Hi Maidbabes - good to see you back - I was beginning to think I had been so awful you had disappeared without a trace!!! The weather had been absolutely amazing! We had a fab family day out at Sea World on Sunday.

I am off to the hand doctor again today with my daughter - the hand guard they made is causing even more problems than the original injury and she has terrible bruising.

How are you fixed work wise for the next couple of weeks? I am freeish I think. Coffee? Breakfast? Lunch?

Love

Rudi

x

Archived