Opinions on Wellington Point and Cleveland please!!

Guest Bettyboop

Guest Bettyboop

Hi I am new to this forum so forgive me if I make any mistakes!! My husband's company are Australian and he has been asked to work in their Brisbane office for 2 to 4 years, he is currently in Brisbane at the moment for a month working and looking at areas in his spare time! I joined him just for a week over half term and we really liked Cleveland and since I returned home my husband has seen Wellington Point and really likes it there too! I have been searching the web for information about the two areas my main concerns being how safe are they to live in? We have three children, ages 7, 9 and 13 so want to be in a child friendly safe environment. My husband would be starting his contract in September and me and the children would follow in December so its a few months off yet but I am keen to settle on an area so that I can begin contacting necessary schools and rental agents etc.

Thank you!! :laugh:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my 15 months in Cleveland Point, I found it to be the land of the living dead. It's a pretty enough place: try taking the stroll from town down to the lighthouse at Cleveland Point. Enjoy the excellent chippy there before heading back into town. Great for an afternoon, but never for a lifetime. Perhaps we were unlucky, but we found our neighbours surly and unfriendly and attempts to strike up intelligent conversation completely failed. From a practical point of view, the train journey into Brisbane always took more than an hour - it's just so far out.

Housing there used to be affordable. Now it's grossly overpriced. If I had to move back to Brisbane, then I'd choose another suburb closer to the CBD. A nice Victorian workman's cottage in Spring Hill would do fine. But I don't think I'll be able to afford one in this lifetime.

We moved to Melbourne and have never looked back. But it's horses for courses and others may see virtues which we completely missed.

'Hi i have just relocated a family to Victoria Point which is near the suburbs you mention. The area itself seems to have everything you could need on hand,the houses were lovely with quite a few new builds going up. The only bad press i have heard about these areas are the few hoons at night who enjoy ballooning around in their cars, but you would come across this in the majority of suburbs across queensland anyway (especially after a bit of rain).

If you take a rental on for 6 months it gives you a lot of time to have a good look around Brisbane and its suburbs, you don't have to stay there when your lease is due for renewal if you don't like it and have found somewhere you feel would be more suitable for your family.

As a base for the first 6 months,i don't think you could go wrong really.

Good Luck with everything

Cal x

My best friend works in Cleveland and lives on acreage in Thornlands and its lovely. Her neighbours are very very friendly and I would not mind living there if I was into Queensland. We like to visit. The quietness of the place makes it heaven for us. I guess there is an older community there and prices have risen considerably due to well off retirees moving into the area.

Must keep the grass all the same length though oh and I think they take out the measuring tape where my friend lives.

Hi Bettyboop

We live in Thornlands, so just down the road from Cleveland. Both Cleveland and Wellington Point are really great suburbs for families. They have good schools, good facilities etc and are on the train line into Brisbane. I can't think of anything negative about either of them.

I have children similar ages to yours.....6 (almost 7) 10 and 12 (almost 13), so if you want any help with anything please ask - you can PM me if you want.

i hope the move goes really well for you - it's a great place to live.

Love

Rudi

x

Rudi - Your comments certainly strike a chord: in our units the body corporate operated as an efficient Gestapo unit, regularly checking our bins to ensure that nothing untoward(or unbagged) had been emptied into them. Shouldn't complain too much though - one week one of them knocked to compliment us on the quality of our bagging! Too many wealthy retirees with far too much time on their hands I guess.

LOL I think some of the gated communities do have a number of older residents, but the majority of the area is housing. They are real family areas. The OP should also look at Ormiston.

Perhaps look at Thornlands, Victoria Point and Redland Bay as well....although they are not on the train line - I'm not sure whether that's what you are looking for.

Rudi

x

Guest Bettyboop

Thank you everyone for your comments they have been helpful.

I may well come back to you Rudi with more questions at some point if thats ok!! Its such a huge step to take especially with my eldest son being the age he is and I am so worried about moving into the wrong area!! but the 6 month rental is a good way of seeing how you get on for a short while and moving on if not happy so I will definately be doing that!!

Thanks everyone xxxx

• 1 month later...
Guest r17ych

Hey Friend, have you found any schools yet? What date are you going out exactly? I am so worried and nervous about choosing a school for Britt (14). Since you told me about Cleveland and Wellington Point, I have falllen in love with them, so Paul is going to have a look when he goes out on 12th August. I am having difficulty finding last posts etc. to reply to. I have to put your name in search and do it that way, I am rubbish at this sort of thing. Can't wait to meet up!

Raych xxx

Guest spadgersdad

We have to agree with Rudi, we have been here for nearly four years and we love the area, we are close enough to all ammenities, and we love the marina for coffee and nice food, also the opportunity to be on the waters edge any time of the day.

Have a look at www.more2redlands.com.au will give you some idea whats around the area.

Our daughter is 13 and we have a son of 21 (just recently moved closer to the city), they both love the area, although my son has moved to the city for work purposes he said loves to come back to Cleveland for the scenery and tranquility.

As Cal said earlier best to find a rental for 6 months then it gives you the opportunity to look around different areas, check out Business and Economy Real Estate Resources - Professional Services also www.aussieholidayhomes.com

We love it here and all that it has to offer, but again its always personal choice hope all goes well

Hey Friend, have you found any schools yet? What date are you going out exactly? I am so worried and nervous about choosing a school for Britt (14). Since you told me about Cleveland and Wellington Point, I have falllen in love with them, so Paul is going to have a look when he goes out on 12th August. I am having difficulty finding last posts etc. to reply to. I have to put your name in search and do it that way, I am rubbish at this sort of thing. Can't wait to meet up!

Raych xxx

Hi Raych

Are you looking for a state school or a private school in the area?

Love

Rudi

x

Guest r17ych

Hi Rudi, we are looking for a private school. Been on quite a few websites and like the look and sound of Ormiston College. The only problem I am finding is that none of them seem to have French on their curriculum and this was one of Britt's options along with Spanish here. Not so bothered about Spanish though as this year would have been her 1st year doing it but she has been doing French for the last three years and was in top set for it, so would have liked her to continue with it. I see they favour German over there which she has done for the last two years but dropped it this year in favour of Spanish as she doesn't enjoy it.

Love

Raych x

Guest Bettyboop

Hiya Raych

Haven't found any schools yet I have been on the internet looking at the school web sites but its hard to know what they are like without seeing them, my hubby is going out to start his job 2nd September so hopefully when he gets there he can go round and look at some of the schools (I will let you know how he gets on!). Me and kids are going 28th October!! I had one of my first good byes yesterday!! friends of ours who live in Norfolk and we only see them once or twice a year they came to visit and say good bye!! But hopefully they will come and visit us for a holiday at some point!! I really love both areas and dont mind which one I end up living in - the marina at Cleveland is lovely we had lunch in the Hogs Breath Cafe and sat outside looking at all the boats it was lovely!!

I am the same on here I haven't been on it for very long and am still finding my feet on how to do things!!

I am looking forward to starting our life out there and look forward to meeting up with you!!

Take care, Angie xx

Guest r17ych

Me too the move doesn't feel as daunting when you have some friends to meet up with. We are going to have a lot of laughs when we get together about our escapades and dramas.

Love

Raych x

Guest r17ych

Oh Rudi I need some comfort and reassurance!! I have just read a thread that has scared the life out of me. They were talking about dengue fever from mozzies and other diseases you can get off them and if that wasn't bad enough they were also talking about how Oz is not kind to the old people and you only get the equivalent to state pensions on a means based system so you have to be very poor in order to get it!!! What do people do then to secure their future as OAP's? I am so sorry I read all that cos I have just had a major wobble!!

Tell me something nice!

Love

Raych x

Guest Bettyboop

Raych I have been doing the same thing!! I read things that make me wonder how on earth I am going to sleep at night for fear of spiders biting me in my sleep and how will I swim in the sea with all the dangers in there too!! I have also spent today clearing out my kitchen cupboards and my mum popped in and ended up crying - I started crying too and haven't stopped since!! I have had to open a bottle of wine to make myself feel better!!! thats why I have logged on to here at the moment because it makes me feel better to think that I already have a couple of friends that I can meet up with and I make sure I read the posts that are going to cheer me up too!!

I have not heard of this particular disease you can catch off mossies but I guess the reality is you can catch viruses off mossies anywhere in the world and if we make sure we use the plug in repellant things in the house that should help. When I have moments where I panic and think what am I doing I then try to picture myself on the beach with my children or sat out by my own swimming pool in my rental house! maybe with the bbq going and a glass of wine!

Just remember Raych you are not on your own we are all going through or have gone through the same worries and anxieties so hopefully we can help one another.

Take care

Angie xxxx

:hug:

Guest r17ych

I am so sorry you are having a bad day Angie and then you had to go and read my stupid post. Ignore me if there was nothing to worry about, then I would worry about that! One thing I read about keeping the mozzies away was to mix 5ml tea tree oil with 10ml of methylated spirit and 500ml of water in a spray bottle and then at night spray curtains, carpets and bedding. I read this off someone on here I think or maybe BritsinBrisbane! As for the spiders I am going to get the house sprayed every 6 months. I torture myself looking for info on all the creepy crawlies but by all accounts they stay away from you. I saw a picture of a cane toad OH MY GOD Angie you should have seen the size of it, someone was holding it by its front legs and it was dangling down. It was HUGE it was bigger than our dog which is a shih Tzu, we all just screamed laughing and I told my mum if I see one for real she will hear my screams all the way back home!!!:laugh:

Remind me, when do you go out I have difficulty finding previous posts with the info on and I get confused with who is going when.

Don't be sad Angie well not until I am with you anyway and then we can have a good cry together over a bottle of wine or two or three!! and then we can look out at our pools up at the clear blue sky, walk on the beach, swim in the lagoon and smile at our choice of new life. We are going to have a lot of fun so I raise my glass of wine and cheers to you!

If you have any more sad days then let me know, I would give you my number but I don't know how to send a private message.

Enjoy the rest of the night.

Love

Raych x:hug:

Guest r17ych

I have just seen the post saying when you are going (blonde moment) about three post above my last hee hee! Too much wine!

xxx

Guest Bettyboop

Raych, dont worry your post did not worry me further I have read so much about all the poisonous things in Oz that I think I could write a book!! I have become so educated about the funnel web spider, red backs and all sorts!! I think I saw the same photo as you of the cane toad!! it was huge!!! but what my hubby keeps saying is think of all the people who have lived there for all their lives and not had a problem, although I am convinced they will all find their way to my house!!!! sensing my fear!!!:biglaugh:

I am feeling much better after a couple of glasses of wine and a good cry!! I am starting to find my way around this site now its been life saving for me to read other peoples posts I am finding all of my fears have already been asked on here at one time or another!! Once I have figured out if I am allowed to send personal information to you I will let you know I am not even sure if I can send you my full name or anything so I will have a look around the site tomorrow - I dont want to get into trouble!!

:confused:

xx

Oh Rudi I need some comfort and reassurance!! I have just read a thread that has scared the life out of me. They were talking about dengue fever from mozzies and other diseases you can get off them and if that wasn't bad enough they were also talking about how Oz is not kind to the old people and you only get the equivalent to state pensions on a means based system so you have to be very poor in order to get it!!! What do people do then to secure their future as OAP's? I am so sorry I read all that cos I have just had a major wobble!!

Tell me something nice!

Love

Raych x

Oh Raych poor you. Please don't stress too much.

OK, dengue. Yep mozzies do carry it, and there are outbreaks from time to time, but it's not a major problem. Its not all mozzies that carry it. I know only 1 person who has had dengue and she got it when she lived in Singapore. If you are out and about where there are mozzies, just slap on the mozzie spray and you should be good. It's funny, some people seem to attract the mozzies and others don't. My middle daughter seems to be a magnet for them!

Love

Rudi

x

Guest r17ych

Thanks Rudi, bit of an over reaction on my part me thinks! I need to stop looking all these things up. Right! back down to earth and rational thinking ahead.

Good to have you there!

Love

Raych x

Hi there

I know how daunting it can be, poor Ruby has had me already going on about it

I did a reccie on my own this weekend, without kids screaming in the car this time, and drove and drove and drove, pretty much saw most areas I reackon, round there anyway. So anyway wont harp on about that anymore.

Out of all the areas I saw I love wellington point and alexandra hills (some housing estates more than others) like anywhere you go I guess. Sure ormiton is was very nice, but I did not spend that much time there as I know exactly what i want out of a house this time round and can not get it round there, so concentrated on the other areas, anyway I went into a very helpful estate agent and he gave me the local phone book and took time to circle areas which he said are the better areas, so I had roads to go and look at, and I must say unless you have this it is very hard to make a judgement (for example when we did our first reccie here in geelong, i wrote of this area, and guess what we ended up buying here, turns out it was split by the highway and i only looked at the area which was not so nice (nothing rough or anything just a little old for my liking) yet once we had been here for 6 months renting, got to know this part and it is a fantastic part and well thought of , so it just goes to show, unless you see the right bits of an area you might get the wrong impression, sorry I am rambling, but anyway,

I looked at these areas, that he recommended, (would not have found them unless I had days and days to drive in the same area) and loved it, just what we are after, so if you want, I can scan you a couple of the areas where the housing is nicer and go there have a drive around those streets and you will see the difference in housing depending on where you go in a suburb.

I to have two kids coming 6 and 3, coming on 4 and 7, so I had all those things in mind when I looked around.

And as you go to cleveland etc it is truly lovely, but for us it is prob a bit far to commute, but that being said if the right house came up there would have to be some serious negotiations going on. :biglaugh:

the place is rather big, so in an ideal world you want to get it as right as you possibly can, because if you put the kids into a school and then realise after 6 months it is wrong it would prob mean moving them again, and lets face it , it is a huge deal for them , but sometimes that is what has to happen.

Give me a shout if you want the areas outlined to me, and I will get them across to you.

With so many people moving your way Rudi, you will be a very busy girl, lunching all days :smile:, sounds good to me, maybe it will sway me that way to, really can not decide, lets wait and see what hubby reackons.

Cheers Maddie

x

Hi I am new to this forum so forgive me if I make any mistakes!! My husband's company are Australian and he has been asked to work in their Brisbane office for 2 to 4 years, he is currently in Brisbane at the moment for a month working and looking at areas in his spare time! I joined him just for a week over half term and we really liked Cleveland and since I returned home my husband has seen Wellington Point and really likes it there too! I have been searching the web for information about the two areas my main concerns being how safe are they to live in? We have three children, ages 7, 9 and 13 so want to be in a child friendly safe environment. My husband would be starting his contract in September and me and the children would follow in December so its a few months off yet but I am keen to settle on an area so that I can begin contacting necessary schools and rental agents etc.

Thank you!!

Guest Bettyboop

Hi Maddie

If you dont mind outlining the better areas for me that would be brilliant! my husband is going to be in Australia from first week of september and will be beginning his search for our rental house so if he had an idea of good areas that would really help him!

I do feel strongly that I want to get it right first time with the area, I dont mind if I need to move house as it will just be rented but I dont want to keep messing the children around with their schooling!! By the sounds of things from what I have read on here Wellington Point is exactly what we are looking for, I do really like Cleveland though too!! its so difficult!! I will see what happens when my hubby gets back out there, hopefully he can find out more when he is there. When my husband first did the train journey from Brisbane South Bank he felt that the train ride seemed to go on forever but since then we have found out that during peak times monday to friday there is an express train so it will keep the commute to a more manageable time of about 45 minutes approx.

Angie xxx

Archived