12 months since medical?

thekevjones

Hi All,

This isn't actually the case with us. We did ours back in Jan 09 so we had them 5 months ago.

My understanding and question lies with the fact that we as applicants apply for a visa, in my case a 175, then send police checks and medicals when requested or front loaded. Because applications are currently taking longer to process, possibly 12+ months and you need to visit Oz to get validated visas 'stamped' within 12 months from medicals....this may overlap?

I had banked or rather hoped on getting my visa during the British summer and was planning a trip to Oz around Oct/Nov to get the visas stamped (within 12 months from medicals)

Now it seems it could be next year before we really hear anything if rumours and magazine reports are anything to go by?

So what happens then? Let's say we got the visas next Feb/Mar - how long would DIAC then give us to plan a 'validation' trip to Oz?

Any comments from anyone?

Cheers

Guest snow white

my understanding i this you have exactly 12 months from medicals or visa grant whichever was done or stamped first to validate

lesley x

My understanding is if your visa isnt granted before 12 months from your medicals they will request you redo the medicals as they are only valid for 12 months. Hence if your visa was granted nov 09 and your meds were done jan 3rd 09 you would have to enter aus before jan 3rd 2010

Guest southerngent

i think 175 may be dead, state sponsor 176 is the future especialy in your time frame...

Guest bentkitty
My understanding is if your visa isnt granted before 12 months from your medicals they will request you redo the medicals as they are only valid for 12 months. Hence if your visa was granted nov 09 and your meds were done jan 3rd 09 you would have to enter aus before jan 3rd 2010

yes that's my understanding also! If you haven't got a CO assigned by Jan you will almost certainly have to repeat the meds. Hope it doesnt come to that!

Guest bentkitty
i think 175 may be dead, state sponsor 176 is the future especialy in your time frame...

175 is certainly not dead, if you are on the CSL (we just got ours!). KevJones are you on the CSL?

At the end of the day front loading meds is a bit of a gamble (police checks the same but they are a lot cheaper). We were advised by our agent to be patient and wait until a CO is assigned beore having the meds. We listened to her advice though I was sorely tempted at the time to get them done anyway, as we never expected it would take us a year to get our CO assigned! Thank god we didnt front load!

Guest The "legdes"

Well this is my understanding too ....spare a thought for those who DIAC told to get their meds done (ie did not front load), so paid £1100 out on their advice to get them done and have now been totally dropped by DIAC due to the CSL etc.

We are one of those - our meds run out in Jan '10 and if I'm correct in thinking the PCs only last 6 months - they run out in Aug 09 (3 of us needed those).

So beware - even if you only get your PCs and Meds at DIACs request you still may be wasting your money as they still don't promise to process you !

Guest vixpinkbabe
Well this is my understanding too ....spare a thought for those who DIAC told to get their meds done (ie did not front load), so paid £1100 out on their advice to get them done and have now been totally dropped by DIAC due to the CSL etc.

We are one of those - our meds run out in Jan '10 and if I'm correct in thinking the PCs only last 6 months - they run out in Aug 09 (3 of us needed those).

So beware - even if you only get your PCs and Meds at DIACs request you still may be wasting your money as they still don't promise to process you !

I think the police checks last a year...? xx

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

Meds *normally* have a shelf life of 12 months. However their validity can be extended by up to 6 months in certain circumstances. The Medical Officer of the Commonwealth will not normally agree to an extension of more than 6 months.

Where there is a wholesale change of circs, such as the sudden change to the CSL, the Commonwealth Ombudsman is already investigating what DIAC's plans are for either refunding the clients for moneys spent on meds & pccs done at DIAC's request, or extending the validity of those meds & pccs for a reasonable period once processing of the suddenly halted transactions resumes.

In ordinary circumstances if the client jumps the gun by frontloading the meds & pccs without being asked for them and the transaction then becomes protracted, whether an extension can be negotiated depends on the attitude of the individual CO.

If meds are submitted and finalising them becomes protracted because of medical issues, the 12 month validity period starts when the MOC clears the meds. The meds for other family members are normally extended to match.

Cheers

Gill

More interesting comments and more valid....thank you all for that

For the record I am not on CSL, we never 'front loaded' AND I DO have a CO assigned since Dec 08 - therefore it was DIAC who told me to proceed with meds and PCC's - which I did in Jan 09

My circumstances sound similar to that of the 'ledges' - so i'd be interested to know if you think you (and I) may have come to a dead end with our visas?

I feel better with GollyWobbler's comments since how could DIAC possibly get away with having a rule, making people spend so much money (application, meds & PCC's) almost equates to two grand for me AND then change the rule?

I have read that they want people with skills on the new CSL and mine may now take a little longer. I have never considered though that it would never get processed?

Thanks all for comments...

Kev

Guest nfowley

We had our medicals done in Oct 08 and visa was granted in April, I thought we would have to validate our visa by Oct 09 but our visa states that we have until Feb 2010 to validate. Not sure why this is.

More interesting comments and more valid....thank you all for that

For the record I am not on CSL, we never 'front loaded' AND I DO have a CO assigned since Dec 08 - therefore it was DIAC who told me to proceed with meds and PCC's - which I did in Jan 09

My circumstances sound similar to that of the 'ledges' - so i'd be interested to know if you think you (and I) may have come to a dead end with our visas?

I feel better with GollyWobbler's comments since how could DIAC possibly get away with having a rule, making people spend so much money (application, meds & PCC's) almost equates to two grand for me AND then change the rule?

I have read that they want people with skills on the new CSL and mine may now take a little longer. I have never considered though that it would never get processed?

Thanks all for comments...

Kev

Here is the latest update from DIAC

Priority Processing - Change From 1 January 2009

Following recent announcements by the Minister for Immigration and

Citizenship, in response to the current global economic environment,

processing of General Skilled Migration applications gives first priority

to applications in the following two categories:

1. Applications with a successful State or Territory Nomination; and

2. Applications where the nominated occupation is identified on the

Critical Skills List (CSL).

Note: Due to the number of applications in the above two categories, on

hand and being received, applications not on the CSL, or applications

without a successful State or Territory nomination, will be delayed until

those applications which meet the processing priorities are finalised. This

includes those on the Migration Occupations in Demand List (MODL)

Details of the Minister’s announcements can be found on the DIAC website

via the following link:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/whats-new.htm#j

Priority Application Processing Information

Applications are now being processed as follows:

1. State or Territory Nominated Applications - once the department has

received and approved a nomination from a state or territory authority,

processing of the application will commence within 10 working days of that

approval. Should you need to, please lodge enquiries about your

application via: http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/forms/gsm/post.htm

2. Applications with a nominated occupation on the Critical Skills List

(CSL) - are being processed in date of lodgment order. Information about

the CSL can be found on the department's website at:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/critical-skills-list.pdf

Priority Processing Exemptions

Visa Subclasses 485, 476, 487 and 887 are exempt from the priority

processing changes. Applications under these subclasses will continue to

be processed in the order in which they were received by the Department –

the following subclass by application lodgment date identifies cases

currently being considered:

Doesnt sound like they will be doing them anytime soon!

Dear Kev

We were caught up in the Capital Investment Issue and our agent negotiated a an extension of meds prior to issue. (Appl Aug 07, Meds requested and done May 08, Visa granted APril 09 and validation 27 Nov 09.) They actually gave us just over 6 months. We re-did our PC's because they can only be extended by 3 months and we needed the full 6 month extension.

Liz

Thanks All

Selah - it's good to hear about your experience. And TBH I don't my re-doing my PCC's (only 35 each) but i'd be annoyed at having to pay for medicals again (obviously!)

Is it only agents who can negotiate a 'validation' extension? Because I never used one....

Cheers

Kev

Thanks All

Selah - it's good to hear about your experience. And TBH I don't my re-doing my PCC's (only 35 each) but i'd be annoyed at having to pay for medicals again (obviously!)

Is it only agents who can negotiate a 'validation' extension? Because I never used one....

Cheers

Kev

No, not only an agent. I would have done it myself if we hadn't used one. We just contacted the CO when we were getting close to issue (obviously we knew because we had made the capital investment and it's a bit more difficult for you) and gently "reminded" them that they were the ones who had requested the meds and we would be grateful for the extension. Life did become a bit complicated as our CO then went on holiday and someone else issued our visa with an earlier validation date that we couldn't possibly achieve. However, because we had the emails with the agreed date in principle - they admitted they made a mistake and re-issued the visa with the proper date. However, they only did that because we had it documented in advance.

Archived