Rental Home Bond

Guest RooRoo

Guest RooRoo

Hi there

I wondered if any one could help me. We are returning to the UK in October after spending a year here and finding that Australia isn't for us.

We have rented a house during this time and wondered if anyone knew about the bond return process as we should be getting $1300 back. How long it takes, who it goes to (i.e. straight to us or to the Real Estate Agent).

The problem that we have got is that we will be handing the keys back to the Estate Agent and jumping straight on to the plane home we won't be staying around to get it sorted. Just wondered if anyone else has had the same thing happen to them.

Thanks in advance

Ruth

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Ruth

It depends on which state you are in, but if you are in Victoria, the bond money will be kept by the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority and you would need to update your details with them. Usually the agent will inspect the property on the day you leave, if there is anything wrong then they would put a claim in to the RTBA, if they agree that you can have all your bond back they will have a form for both yourself and the agent to sign stating that you can have either your full bond back or part of your bond if there is something wrong. This form then goes back to the RTBA and they will send back your bond. If it is in Victoria, you can drop them an email at: rtba@justice.vic.gov.au or mention it on the form.

Kate

Guest pommiesue
Hi there

I wondered if any one could help me. We are returning to the UK in October after spending a year here and finding that Australia isn't for us.

We have rented a house during this time and wondered if anyone knew about the bond return process as we should be getting $1300 back. How long it takes, who it goes to (i.e. straight to us or to the Real Estate Agent).

The problem that we have got is that we will be handing the keys back to the Estate Agent and jumping straight on to the plane home we won't be staying around to get it sorted. Just wondered if anyone else has had the same thing happen to them.

Thanks in advance

Ruth

You would have signed a bond form with the Real Estate that meant your money went tothe Residential Tenancies Bond Authority. This is a formal procedure. Thereal estate agent should check your house prior to you leaving and make sure all is in conditon you movedin with and then you have to sign the form to release your bond which will then be paid direct from RTBA into your bank account - you make sure the details are on the form of your bank account. hope this helps

Hi Roo Roo

we are in the same pickle as you. However my agent said it is not possible to do it on the day we leave and it would take up to 3 days to do the check of the property. I dont trust them and we wont be here to fix any "so called " problems they may find!

They also wouldnt give us less than a 6 month lease (even though we are already in the house) so we have made a decision to try and not pay the last 4 weeks rent and ask them to pay it from the bond. I feel bad i wont be giving any notice and dropping the keys off after they close but they gave us no option as if we told them we only wanted it til the end of Sept instead of the full 6 months they could have got us out to lease to someone else and then we would have been stuck with no house. Why they couldnt have just extended our lease another 4 months is beyond me?

Do you have anybody that could help you after you go ie. to clean a drop of toothpast off the bathroom wall or just wipe a mark off the cupboard door (as these are the type of little things they loof for then charge you $300 for a cleaner). This is what i was going to do but now we have the dilemma of being charged extra for readvertising the property and another weeks rent just for vacating early from the lease hence our decision.

Any way hope all goes well. I also think you live in a great location in Melbourne near the city. We lived in Kilsyth if you know where that is.Very far from the city or much else to be honest ha ha.

Guest pommiesue

I know of a friend of mine from London who did exactly as you say you intend. She basically dropped the keys throughthe RE doors and left a message saying they could take the rent out of the bond. She also said she was not paying for carpet cleaners as they were not cleaned prior to her taking up the lease. It is against the rules but I understand where you are coming from. One thing about australia is that they seem to have rules and regulations for everything!! aNDESPECIALLY OUT OF THE CITIES you have to be about 20th generation i rckon to be accepted!

good luck

We had this issue in Jan when we left after our three month recci trip. It took 6 weeks to get our bond back, also they claimed to begin with that they could only give it back to us in AUS$ via cheque and not back on the credit card that we had paid it with. Took a few heated calls to sort this out prior to leaving but in the end it was pretty painless.

Safe journey home x

Emma

x

Guest RooRoo

Thank you to all of you who have responded to my question, that helps me out no end.

Cheers

Ruth

Archived