Maintenance fitter TRA passed

Guest D&J

Passed TRA as Fitter heading to Brisbane/Queensland area. Does anyone know if I will need a licence or certificate to get a job? I have heard you need a restricted electrical licence for Mechanical fitter. What about a Maintenance fitter? Is there a difference in pay? If I need a restricted electrical licence can I get one before I emigrate. Any info much appreciated.

Guest pippycol

Hello im mechanical fitter to moving to Brisbane in August dont think you need any sort of licience but a blue card is quite usefull.This shows you are clued up on health and saftey.They can be obtained on line before you go over from , try this e-mail address kris@bluedogtraining.com.au

COL & PIP

Guest fatpom
Passed TRA as Fitter heading to Brisbane/Queensland area. Does anyone know if I will need a licence or certificate to get a job? I have heard you need a restricted electrical licence for Mechanical fitter. What about a Maintenance fitter? Is there a difference in pay? If I need a restricted electrical licence can I get one before I emigrate. Any info much appreciated.

You don't need a license to be a maintenance or mech fitter. There's no difference between a mech fitter & a maintenance fitter (certainly that I know of?).

You don't need a restricted electrical license either & most fitters don't have one.

The course is one night per week for a year (well a school year that is). After that you are tested on site at work by an appropriate person (usually a licensed sparkie) to ensure you're safe to do the specified electrical work. The dept of fair trading may (& only may) issue you with a restricted. A lot find they still don't get the license for various reasons.

It is by the way very restricted, for example, typically a fitter is licensed to disconnect/reconnect motors only to work on & not anything else, definately not new installations for example.

The blue card question is a very good one. Very few maintenance fitters would carry one but it's not a bad idea to get one anyway.

The blue card is mainly a construction industry requirement to ensure everyone on site including labourers are aware of OH&S. However its now 'probable' that some maintenace fitters work can come under the new meaning of the word 'construction'. The published legis guide appears to contradict itself on just who it applies to?

Guest fatpom
Is it worth getting a ARTC wiil it be of use

A good question? No-one has ever asked to see mine (or any other cert/dip for that matter) & I've had 4 jobs here probably double that for interviews.

I got mine on arrival here... took about 4-8 weeks to arrive through the post as I best recall. I was already working by then of course.

Personally speaking I would get all of your quals validated against Australian standards by the assessing authorities... doesn't cost much & means the HR people have no reason to dimiss your application on these grounds as there's a direct Australian comparison. Remember the HR people are very likely to be from non english heritage so they wouldn't know an ONC from an HNC or a C&G (much less care).

Guest fatpom
So is it worth applying for the tra while in uk or wait till i get to oz got permanent residency already and going soon

cheers piers

Sorry, don't even know if you can apply in UK? Personally I wouldn't worry about it till you arrive but I guess its another job completed prior to flying.

Guest fatpom
ps meant to say i am a fitter in the aerospace industry

I worked in aerospace in UK for 18-20 yrs. The industry isn't as big in aus. I've haven't worked in it since leaving UK. It's easier to find work if still on the tools. You're probably already aware of the best locations to find work but here are some if you're not sure:

Boeing:- Melb - Fishermans Bend, Sydney - Milperra, Newcastle - williamstown, Brisbane - Amberley.

Also consider "Ball Aerospace" - various places

There will also be many others I suppose?

Good Luck.

Cheers Fatpom

Have applied to australia aerospace at brissie airport but will have to wait and see, think i will leave the tra till i get there cause we have so much stuff to do in such a short time 4 weeks 2 days and counting lol

Archived