Motorbike License - Brisbane

Guest mtmoore

Guest mtmoore

When I leave school in the UK (next year) I plan to leave and go to study law in Australia. I'd like a motorbike just to get me to and from uni. I have checked the Queensland transport website but I get confused with all the R, RE, open, R1 license things.

Can anyone give me information or give me a website that will tell me the information simply?

Also I will be 16/17 when I leave to study in Australia and will it help if I have a UK provisional or full license for a car or motorbike?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

You're going to be too young to have a motorbike in Queensland. You have to be over 18 and to have held a full car licence for at least a year.

Bear in mind too, here you cannot ride a motorbike unsupervised on a learner's licence like you can in the UK. The best you can do is a 50cc scooter which you can ride on a full car licence.

But for completeness, you do an RE (restricted) licence first, which lets you get a bike up to 250cc, then the R (unrestricted) licence after a year which is any size bike. They're bringing in some additional rules in July like restricting the models you can ride, so you'll not be able to ride a 2-stroke 250 on an RE licence as they're simply too powerful, plus they're thinking about bringing in P-plates for bikes, which don't exist at the moment.

Google Queensland Transport and look up the licencing bit, it'll tell you what you need to know.

Guest cam7445

If you can get your full UK licences, as they transfer them straight across in the sunshine state. You will have to wait until 18 to ride a motorbike though. As a student depending on distances a decent push bike is ok for up to 20km each way or public transport.

Archived