457 Visa Crisis HELP!

Hi all,

My head is melting!!:arghh:

My husband was offered a job in oz last august. We were of course delighted. so we began our Visa rollarcoaster!!! Eventually we get everything sorted. Ielts, medicals, Approval from Peel and Pilibara regions. Also the company sponsoring us had to provide additional proof that the position offered to my husband couldn't be filled locally etc. and just when we think we're there, In come the changes to 457 VISA'S!! My Husband is a crane driver!!! Where does this leave us????

:wacko:

Also the agent the company is using seems totally useless so any help or advice would be gratefully received!

Hi i copied this from other thread you'll find it under the title important changes to 457 visa.

Skilled Workers Temporary Visa Options - Employer Sponsored Workers - Workers - Visas & Immigration

An applicant for a Subclass 457 visa under standard business sponsorship arrangements must be nominated for an activity which corresponds to the tasks of a gazetted occupation.

From 15 May 2009 the range of gazetted occupations has been revised to include only gazetted occupations in Australian Standard Classification of Occupations (ASCO) major groups 1 to 4.

This change will particularly affect employers in regional areas as they will no longer be able to nominate activities that have tasks that correspond to the tasks of occupations in ASCO major groups 5 to 7.

What happens to my visa application if it is not finalised before 15 May 2009 and my stated occupation is an ASCO 5 to 7 occupation?

For visa applications lodged prior to 15 May 2009, the nominated activity will be considered against the gazetted occupation list at the time a decision is made on the visa.

If the tasks of your nominated activity no longer correspond to the tasks of a gazetted occupation, your case officer will give you the option to withdraw your application and make a request for a refund.

On 15 May 2009 my ASCO 5-7 visa application was still waiting to be lodged at DIAC because the Nomination was awaiting Regional Certifying Body sign-off. What happens now?

As your application is based on the performance of nominated activities which correspond to the tasks of occupations that will no longer enable the grant of a Subclass 457 visa under the standard business sponsor program, you will not be granted a visa if you lodge an application on this basis.

I currently hold a valid Subclass 457 visa in an ASCO 5- 7 occupation and I am still employed in that occupation. Is my visa still valid?

Yes. The changes do not affect the validity of your current visa. You will however not be able to be granted another Subclass 457 visa under the standard business sponsor program for this occupation.

Your sponsor may want to contact the Department to assess whether a labour agreement may be feasible in their circumstances.

You may also consider other visa options depending on your particular background and personal circumstances close to the expiry of your current visa.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Gracie

I completely understand how you feel, hon. As I said on the other thread, Groups 5-7 workers are a subject dear to my heart because I have been trying to help some friends of mine with Group 7 occupations. In their case, both are mobile contruction plant operators which are in the same general Group as crane drivers.

How big is the employer company, please, in terms of the total workforce? You have mentioned the Pilbara. Do they supply crane drivers to the mines? I am trying to work out whether they might already have a Labour Agreement which would mean minimal delay with your visa?

Best wishes

Gill

Thanks for the response. Worrying changes as my 457 application was lodged about 6 weeks ago. I am applying for a Banking job, which is a senior position so Im hopeful it is classed under Finance Manager. Hope it works out for you too.

Archived