Anyone from Glasgow????

Ash123

Hiya, we're a family of 5 from johnstone. Just got visa granted on 15 may!! So excited but still trying to sell house - nightmare! We have victoria state sponsorship so hope to move out there soon (just outside melbourne). Cant believe how quick the process was when we changed our application from 175 to 176.

Good luck with everything,

Colin and Lorna

congrats and good luck selling your house and with your big move to melbourne, how long did it take when you changed over?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest xshazx

Hey didn't realise knightswood was so popular lol :biglaugh:

Dizzy, I stay near Garscadden Train station. My wee boy (10) goes to Bankhead Primary School and my girl (15) goes to Cleveden secondary. My old haunt was in Scotstoun primary and then Victoria Drive Secondary.......do you remember that one!!! Its flattened with houses on it now lol.

Guest SO,DIZZY
Hey didn't realise knightswood was so popular lol :biglaugh:

Dizzy, I stay near Garscadden Train station. My wee boy (10) goes to Bankhead Primary School and my girl (15) goes to Cleveden secondary. My old haunt was in Scotstoun primary and then Victoria Drive Secondary.......do you remember that one!!! Its flattened with houses on it now lol.

Hi shaz, we are half way between bearsden and clydebank at the moment we hand our keys over next week for our bearsden house,, so we will officially be bankies next week.. so we are not far from you, we are moving close to the shopping centre and it is so noisey but we are getting used to it... im not sure were bankhead is, but my neice and nephew go to Cleveden as well, maxine and billy jolly, mabey your daughter knows them.. my kids are 7 and 16 my daughter has just started at kilbowie primary and my son is at college.... although ive lived in the westend for about 14 years now and a couple of years in my teens there are still parts of it im not familiar with so dont think im an idiot but i have no idea were victoria drive secondary was although i know victoria drive...dizz:wubclub:

Guest xshazx
Hi shaz, we are half way between bearsden and clydebank at the moment we hand our keys over next week for our bearsden house,, so we will officially be bankies next week.. so we are not far from you, we are moving close to the shopping centre and it is so noisey but we are getting used to it... im not sure were bankhead is, but my neice and nephew go to Cleveden as well, maxine and billy jolly, mabey your daughter knows them.. my kids are 7 and 16 my daughter has just started at kilbowie primary and my son is at college.... although ive lived in the westend for about 14 years now and a couple of years in my teens there are still parts of it im not familiar with so dont think im an idiot but i have no idea were victoria drive secondary was although i know victoria drive...dizz:wubclub:

NO WAY!!!!! Its a small world!!! i will ask my daughter if she knows them lol and Vic Drive secondary was on the Vic Drive you know lol, its now the new houses that are just being completed. Will PM you later if thats ok. Off out now, shaz

Guest SO,DIZZY
NO WAY!!!!! Its a small world!!! i will ask my daughter if she knows them lol and Vic Drive secondary was on the Vic Drive you know lol, its now the new houses that are just being completed. Will PM you later if thats ok. Off out now, shaz

no probs shaz,, dizz:wub:

Guest Gill&Jamie

Hi,

Im from Coatbridge (consider myself a weegie lol)!! Worked in Glasgow since I was 18!!

Lived in Bridgeton, Shettleston, Springburn and Lochwinnoch and worked in Plean Street Clinic......... I think that's been knocked down now...... anyone know?

Been in Adelaide for nearly 8 months and loving it here.

Gill:biggrin:

Guest AudBod
Hi,

Im from Coatbridge (consider myself a weegie lol)!! Worked in Glasgow since I was 18!!

Lived in Bridgeton, Shettleston, Springburn and Lochwinnoch and worked in Plean Street Clinic......... I think that's been knocked down now...... anyone know?

Hi Gill, OH and me both attended Albert Primary in Springburn. Quite spooky really since there are 11 years between us, so we never knew each other till long after we left Springburn. Now living in Stepps, so visit the Time Capsule in Coatbridge regularly, with my 6 y/o. We are hoping to get State Sponsorship for South Australia and fancy Adelaide, or nearby. If you could give me any ideas re where to live/avoid I'd be greatful. Ideally, 3 bedroom with a pool, not too far from the beach.

Glad you are enjoying it. I'm soooooo jealous.

Regards

Aud

Guest kirsteen

Hi we will also hopefuly be heading for Adelaide, if we ever get the visa. We have family in Gawler. Just wish we were eligible for SS then maybe we could at least plan on getting there this year. Hope you get your SS sorted soon Aud.

Christine

Guest SO,DIZZY
Hi Gill, OH and me both attended Albert Primary in Springburn. Quite spooky really since there are 11 years between us, so we never knew each other till long after we left Springburn. Now living in Stepps, so visit the Time Capsule in Coatbridge regularly, with my 6 y/o. We are hoping to get State Sponsorship for South Australia and fancy Adelaide, or nearby. If you could give me any ideas re where to live/avoid I'd be greatful. Ideally, 3 bedroom with a pool, not too far from the beach.

Regards

Aud

hi doll, how weird is that both me and my oh are from springburn when we were little and never new each other when we were kids either,, he lived in the flats just were springburn shopping centre is, and i lived in millerbank street and petershill rd,,, what a small world it realy is ....

dizz...:wink:

Guest barab

Hi Fellow Glaswegiens,

I went to Brisbane two and a half years ago.

At the start We loved it,living the dream and all that bulls$%t.

But it got a bit dull and boring for us,same old barbies,same faces with no scottish crack or banter.

Things are not the same over there,and we are so glad we came back last November .

Arriving back in Glasgow was so good and we have never looked back.

It's your decision at the end of the day,but for me there is no place like home.......and Goerge Square in the winter....Just remember that!!!

Guest kirsteen

Well thank god things are not the same over there otherwise what would be the point of going? I kind of know what you mean. We lived in Germany for 8 years and i couldn't wait to get back to Glasgow sometimes, just to hear the accent,the friendliness of the people etc. Glasgow is a great city and i've thouroughly enjoyed my time back here and wanted my kids to grow up in Glasgow also,however we are all now ready for something different,a new adventure and hopefully we'll get that in Oz. Who knows if it will work out but it's better to have tried and failed than to fail to try.

Christine

Guest barab
Well thank god things are not the same over there otherwise what would be the point of going? I kind of know what you mean. We lived in Germany for 8 years and i couldn't wait to get back to Glasgow sometimes, just to hear the accent,the friendliness of the people etc. Glasgow is a great city and i've thouroughly enjoyed my time back here and wanted my kids to grow up in Glasgow also,however we are all now ready for something different,a new adventure and hopefully we'll get that in Oz. Who knows if it will work out but it's better to have tried and failed than to fail to try.

Christine

Living in Germany is so much different than living in Australia,Germany is up with the times for a start,and your only a two hour flight away from loved ones.

Once you get over the sun and the beach...and it doesn't take long,you will be sitting wondering what now?Where next?No football,No live Scottish and English premiership games.

No cold winters,no ant and dec on a saturday night...........All you will have is Rugby league and Cricket...And the mossies outside in the pitch blackness....cause it's only half past 6 in the evening!!!

Give me the counting house any day!!

Guest kirsteen

I know Germany is much closer than Oz but when we lived there in the 80's there were no mobile phones or internet and a phone call home once a month and letters were our only contact with family. During our time there we had 4 trips home and 2 of them were for funerals of loved ones.It wasn't like now with the cheap flights. My point was about missing Glasgow no matter where you live and getting back here and also trying different things. Personally i don't like football so that's a bonus as far as i'm concerned though i'm sure my other half is having nightmares about this already lol.

Hi Fellow Glaswegiens,

I went to Brisbane two and a half years ago.

At the start We loved it,living the dream and all that bulls$%t.

But it got a bit dull and boring for us,same old barbies,same faces with no scottish crack or banter.

Things are not the same over there,and we are so glad we came back last November .

Arriving back in Glasgow was so good and we have never looked back.

It's your decision at the end of the day,but for me there is no place like home.......and Goerge Square in the winter....Just remember that!!!

Thanks for your honesty. We're looking to move to Perth next year. I worry about being homesick, but family/friends apart, there's less and less I like about living in Scotland. Maybe I dont appreciate it and need to go somewhere to know what I'm missing

Guest xshazx
Hi,

I used to take my daughter to plean street clinic 15 yrs ago for her baby weigh-ins lol.

Yes, it has been knocked down and rebuilt. All quite modern now.

Adelaide, all being well, is the place we are going to on a 176 SS visa. My step mother and sister stayed there for 10yrs at Plymton Park. Glad you are loving it :biggrin:

Guest Gill&Jamie

Regards

Aud

Hi Audbod,

We had booked a short term rental for 3 weeks in Sheidow Park and have literally moved across the road to Hallett Cove. I just liked the 'feel' of being in the South and the beaches are gorgeous. We looked around areas in the hills, but the novelty of being close to the sea brought us back to here. We are renting for a year whilst our house is being built, again staying in the South but moving further out to Seaford Rise. The kids are really settled here and are enjoying school.

I cant really comment on areas to avoid, there is posts on poms in adelaide about this, but since I've never been to any of them, Im not really sure.

Good luck with the SS, I hope your hear something soon, when are you hoping to be here?

Gill:smile:

Guest Gill&Jamie
I used to take my daughter to plean street clinic 15 yrs ago for her baby weigh-ins lol.

Yes, it has been knocked down and rebuilt. All quite modern now.

Adelaide, all being well, is the place we are going to on a 176 SS visa. My step mother and sister stayed there for 10yrs at Plymton Park. Glad you are loving it :biggrin:

Hi Shaz,

Don't suppose you can remember your Health Visitors name lol? I spent many a winter freezing to death in that clinic, trying to avoid the areas where the rain came through the roof and all us huddled around a radiator!! (good memories)!!

Plympton park is not too far from where we are (living in Hallett Cove). Have you been to Adelaide before then? Its a lovely place and we're really happy here. When you hoping to be here?

Gill

Guest AudBod
Hi Audbod,

We had booked a short term rental for 3 weeks in Sheidow Park and have literally moved across the road to Hallett Cove. I just liked the 'feel' of being in the South and the beaches are gorgeous. We looked around areas in the hills, but the novelty of being close to the sea brought us back to here. We are renting for a year whilst our house is being built, again staying in the South but moving further out to Seaford Rise. The kids are really settled here and are enjoying school.

I cant really comment on areas to avoid, there is posts on poms in adelaide about this, but since I've never been to any of them, Im not really sure.

Good luck with the SS, I hope your hear something soon, when are you hoping to be here?

Gill:smile:

Thanks for that Gill. Just at the start of it all I'm afraid. My Hubby is hopefully getting an early pension from his work, due to an injury. But it has dragged on and on. He had a medical last week and hopefully, we will be able to progress things soon. The lump sum and pension that he gets will make a big difference to how we can start our life in Oz, so we have been waiting to get that finalised.

After that, I need to get an Australian Diploma in Business Admin, to get State Sponsorship. I've researched it and you can do the work online, hopefully getting the Diploma in 6 weeks or so, if I cram, but it costs nearly £1,000, given the poor exchange rates at present.

I have been working in New Home Sales and House Lettings for a few years and we have always fancied Adelaide, so I was delighted to see that they have 'Real Estate Sales Person' listed for State Sponsorship.

Are there lots of New Home Developments on the Adelaide Coastal area ? Ideally, I'd like to work in New Homes within 30 mins of where I live.

There seem to be so many Towns/Developments near Adelaide, it's all very confusing and any advice from fellow Scots/Brits is very helpful.

You say you're kids are loving School. How old are they, if you don't mind me asking? I have a 6 y/o girl (pictured in my Avatar in the Glasgow snow, in Feb). She is sooo looking forward to going to Oz and getting a house with a pool, which is a must.

I'm off to research Hallett Cove and Seaford Rise now. :biggrin:

Aud x

Guest AudBod
Hi Aud,

Have PM'd you.

Gillx

Never got your PM Gill :confused:

I've PM'd you. Hopefully, you will receive it.

Aud x

• 5 months later...
Guest jessica and stuart

Hi all,

Me and my partner stuart arrived in newcastle in July 09'. Loving it so far, but have found it hard to meet much friends outside work. We are both Scottish from Aberdeen. Looking for some people to go out and about with, either for drinks or any crazy hobbies.

I am 22 and Stuart is 25, currently living in Merewether. Get in touch if you would like to meet up.

Jess

Archived