visa and passport

Ratchet

Can i submit my sons current passport with our 457 visa application then get the passport renewed with a different picture before we go?

ive posted this on dilemmas, but no answer, so im hoping to catch more opinions:wink:

my sons passport runs out in dec 2010. it was issued when he was 7 months old. now he is 4 he looks completely different and i wanted to renew it. this week we have been told to apply for the visa, just when i was going to send off the passport pack.

If i process the current passport will a renewed one with the new piccy be accepted when we arrive in oz or should i just wait 2-3 weeks for a new passport to come back and leave the visa til then??

surely i cant be the only one to have had this situation???

thanks in advance:cute:

Can i submit my sons current passport with our 457 visa application then get the passport renewed with a different picture before we go?

Ive posted this on dilemmas, but no answer, so I'm hoping to catch more opinions:wink:

my sons passport runs out in dec 2010. it was issued when he was 7 months old. now he is 4 he looks completely different and i wanted to renew it. this week we have been told to apply for the visa, just when i was going to send off the passport pack.

If i process the current passport will a renewed one with the new piccy be accepted when we arrive in oz or should i just wait 2-3 weeks for a new passport to come back and leave the visa til then??

surely i cant be the only one to have had this situation???

thanks in advance:cute:

If I was you I would ring the passport office as you are not far from Peterborough see if they can fast track it. You used to be able to drive there and get a passport in a day. Not sure if this is still the case but this is only a renewal and the current passport is still valid.

We applied for our 457 Visa via the DIAC on line service, which was very straight forward. We had the same dilemma with our 457. The visa is no longer stamped in the passport but is electronic, which effectively means it is linked to the passport number. If you renew the passport after you get your visa, you need to notify DIAC that you have renewed it so that it can be re-linked.

It's not the end of the world though, our visa was allocated via email so we just keep a printed copy with us and of course the expired passport. Immigration are pretty strict though so you do have to have sufficient evidence that the passport is a new one.

Oh and by the way, you will need a copy of your visa email for each of you to open a bank account, get a drivers license and for medicare so print off a few copies and keep them safe for when you arrive. It must be the original email, do not cut and paste into a Word document.

I think you can get the visa stamped into your passport when you arrive, but we had pretty much done everything by the time we found out you could do this.

Better to renew your passport before you leave the UK. It is costly to do it once in Australia, silly things like Aussie photo sizes are differnt from UK photo sizes and of course getting them validated by someone who has known you for 2 years or more.

We have been in Melbourne for 3 months now and getting Aussie ID was the single biggset issue because they have a scoring system and if you do not have sufficient it delays things. Once we got our Aussie drivers licenses though things got a lot easier.

Hope this helps

Thanks for your responses. I phoned the passport helpline last night and they suggested i get a new passport done now then apply for the visa, so we dont come up against any complications at a later date. She said it would only take a few weeks. In the grand scheme of things its not that long really

Archived