Furnished room/flat rentals in Canberra

Guest rhysse

Guest rhysse

Hi All,

I've just had the magic sticker pasted on my passport and am planning to depart for Canberra in August!

Prior to accepting the job offer, on retrospect, I have not done a detailed search on housing rentals and thus now I am worried about rental costs after seeing that many rentals are available for the entire apartment/house and none for rooms.

As I'd be staying alone and the costs of renting one entire house for myself looks rather high on first consideration now, I'm fine with renting a furnished bedroom in a household. Is this common in Canberra? Or are families less comfortable with sharing the house with their tenant? Is this more prevalent in the housing areas near the universities?

I'm looking at areas near Phillip (where i'd be working at) and south to the city centres (Woden, Belconnen). My budget per week is A$150 to share a house with other tenants (could be 3 bedrooms thus 3 tenants in an apartment, house, perhaps), or A$100 for an ensuite room with the owners with access to basic kitchen facilities and TV. Are these budgets realistic?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Hi All,

I've just had the magic sticker pasted on my passport and am planning to depart for Canberra in August!

Prior to accepting the job offer, on retrospect, I have not done a detailed search on housing rentals and thus now I am worried about rental costs after seeing that many rentals are available for the entire apartment/house and none for rooms.

As I'd be staying alone and the costs of renting one entire house for myself looks rather high on first consideration now, I'm fine with renting a furnished bedroom in a household. Is this common in Canberra? Or are families less comfortable with sharing the house with their tenant? Is this more prevalent in the housing areas near the universities?

I'm looking at areas near Phillip (where i'd be working at) and south to the city centres (Woden, Belconnen). My budget per week is A$150 to share a house with other tenants (could be 3 bedrooms thus 3 tenants in an apartment, house, perhaps), or A$100 for an ensuite room with the owners with access to basic kitchen facilities and TV. Are these budgets realistic?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

At a pinch I guess they would be. You will find more room shares in the areas closer to the universities though. Most room shares are advertised in the Canberra Times Sat and Wed are the best days. Alternatively you could have a look in TheGumtree for Canberra Classifieds – Gumtree Canberra Free Classified Ads – Gumtree Canberra Online Community

Not going to be easy though.

Archived