NEW SOL effective from 15th May 2009

Welshtone

A new SOL has been signed by the Minister on 9th April 2009 effective 15th May 2009. I have gone through quickly and I can see no additional occupations nor any taken off nor any changes in points for an occupation.

The only change I can see is that now VETASSESS and TRA are Relevant assessing authorities for non-Recignised companies. This means that if you are not resident in UK, India, Philippines, South Africa or Sri Lanka, you have the choice of TRA or VETASSESS for your skills assessment. This gives residents of other countries the choice for those few trades that VETASSESS handle between an RTO workplace assessment or travelling to another country where VETASSESS are holding their assessments.

Regards

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Tony

Thanks very much indeed for this and of course I have made the thread sticky.

What is the advantage in giving more people access to Vetassess for their skills assessments in a very limited range of occupations? As far as I can see it simply helps a minority of the people caught out by the closure of TRA Pathway D, enriches Vetassess at the same time but has little other effect?

However many of the trades skills that Vetassess currently assess for in the 5 "guinea pig" countries were dropped from the CSL on 16th March. What is the point of giving more people access to a means of getting a skills assessment when you have recently dropped their skill from the CSL?

Are DIAC trying to do too much too fast?

I'd be interested in the reaction from the Trade Union that looks after the construction trade in Oz too. Their battle cry is that Australia is already saturated with Bricklayers or whatever so I would not expect them to be Pleased With The Minister?

Cheers

Gill

Here is a link to the relevant instrument:

ComLaw Legislative Instruments - Migration Regulations 1994 - Specification under regulation 1.03, subregulation 2.26B(1), subparagraphs 1136(4)(b)(ii), 1136(5)(b)(ii), 1136(6)(b)(iii), 1229(4)(b)(ii), 1229(5)(b)(ii), 1229(6)(b)(iii), 1229(7)(b)(ii),

and here is the current instrument:

ComLaw Legislative Instruments - Migration Regulations 1994 - Specification under regulation 1.03, subregulation 2.26B(1), subparagraphs 1136(4)(b)(ii), 1136(5)(b)(ii), 1136(6)(b)(iii), 1229(4)(b)(ii), 1229(5)(b)(ii), 1229(6)(b)(iii), 1229(7)(b)(ii),

As you say Gill, main benefit seems to be for VETASSESS - maybe it is a slow fix and VETASSESS plan to arrange assessments, depending on demand, in other countries with the number of trades being assessed increasing with time - only guessing. Maybe this desision was made a while ago, before RTO assessments became so readily available and was to allow Republic of Ireland residents the same access as UK residents. Maybe somebody can find another change in the two lists that I have missed.

Regards

Just a short note to say that the MIA forum has been alerted to this post so Tony I'm looking forward to your critique of this thread in that forum, a shame it's a one-way mirror or Gill could have her tuppence worth the other way.

FWIW one would expect Vetassess to proactively seek out new commercial horizons - testing in China, the Americas, Australia and Europe would be highly remunerative. As for Ireland, Tony you'll have to get the Cork County Council to offer them incentives to hold testing there, would certainly give local tourism a boost. And given that TRA is still relying on the UAC almost a year after promoting the MAP as its replacement, fair enough that they've been sidelined.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hi George

I was bursting with news yesterday, new SOL, health waiver for ENS employers in WA and IELTS for Nurses, but I could not log onto the MIA site to share this with my colleagues - Forgive me father, for I have sinned.

Regards

Archived