Doggie questions:)

noel2538

Hi

Can I get travel insurance for my dog...dont think her Pet Insurance covers this type of travel?

Im waiting for dogs blood results this week...Vet gave her vaccination for Kennel Cough last Thursday and Tuesday night this week she now has the most awful 'cough'. Called Vet and she said wouldnt be the vaccine...said Pip must have come in connact with infected dog...anyway that dogs are...eg VETS!!! Will this affect her going to Oz on 18th May?

Thanks Debx

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Deb

I think you need to talk with the person who is shipping your pet in regards to insurance as you will not be covered on your normal policy.

In regards to Kennel Cough, personally I think you need to get a new vet, but anyway, nevermind. Yes it is normal for dogs to have a reaction to the Kennel Cough Vaccination, when I use to vaccinate we would get 5 or 6 dogs go down with Kennel Cough around 3 - 4 days after injection or intranasal, it is usually only a mild dose of Kennel Cough and hopefully your dog should be over it in 10 days. If your dog is coughing then I would treat with a dose of Benadryl around 5ml for a 30kg dog.

Hope Pip get's well soon, they may not let her travel if she still has Kennel Cough but to be honest you have a good chance that she will be over it pretty soon.

Good luck

Kate

Hi Kate

Thanks for info..and my Vet wants me to take Pip in...I said no dont want to give more dogs Kennel Cough...they said about giving her antibiotics but Im giving her honey and lemon, three times a day. She fine during day..eating, playing and just as mad but at night she coughing a little now.. I treat her like my kids sometimes and I dont like them having antibiotics at the slightest sniff!!!

I know it can be a serious but she her 'normal self' with just a little cough..bless her... I'll get her some of that medicine and hope she gets better :wubclub:

Fingers crossed Deb x

Hi Kate

Thanks for info..and my Vet wants me to take Pip in...I said no dont want to give more dogs Kennel Cough...they said about giving her antibiotics but Im giving her honey and lemon, three times a day. She fine during day..eating, playing and just as mad but at night she coughing a little now.. I treat her like my kids sometimes and I dont like them having antibiotics at the slightest sniff!!!

I know it can be a serious but she her 'normal self' with just a little cough..bless her... I'll get her some of that medicine and hope she gets better :wubclub:

Fingers crossed Deb x

Wait till it gets here , you will never be away fromm the vets , mine in the uk 5 times in 10 years here 7 times in ayear:mad:

Guest The Pom Queen
Wait till it gets here , you will never be away fromm the vets , mine in the uk 5 times in 10 years here 7 times in ayear:mad:

How's the paw doing?

update on Pippa...Vet called about her blood results...both good and bad news...some negative but the Lepto came back positive at 1:100 but negative at 1:800...so now another visit for another blood test....needs to be negative at 1:800, this shows that its not active just attibodies to her vaccination back in July 2007..BUT if the result is positve at 1:800 she cant come:no:

What are my option if her results are bad...know I should wait but I cant....any advise please xx

Vet also said that the Kennel Cough vaccine she had, would cause symptoms...so I dont know why nurse said it wasnt. But her cough has now gone...so the honey and lemon mix worked a treat...some goods news then.

Can anyone recommend a good Pet insurance plan in Oz? I have Tesco at the moment only cost £10.00 per month...me's think it will be more in Oz:rolleyes:

thanks Debx

Guest PossiblyMaybe

Unfortunately all you can do about the Lepto titre is wait: the test is showing that Pippa has antibodies to Lepto - these get "bumped up" by her boosters to keep her immunity topped up. If the antibody level is falling it is just the antibodies from vaccination and they will go down eventually (the lepto is one of the shortest acting parts of the booster) but there is individual variation. If they don't go down that suggests she's actively infected or carrying - that will affect her travel plans... when is her re-test booked?

Pet Insurance is nowhere near as widely used in Oz compared to UK. The most common ones are RSPCA & Petplan - that does NOT mean a recommendation for either. Also - bear in mind that as your supermarket policy is cheap, it is probably an "annual" policy -so as well as a cap on your total fees, generally once you've claimed for a condition, it'll be excluded when you renew, and the monthly fee / excess goes up.

If you've had treatment for Pippa you may have to disclose this to the new insurer, and they can choose whether to exclude it from being able to be claimed for. So it's really important to READ THE SMALL PRINT!

hi...

Pippa retest is tomorrow, 7th May...things are moving forward with our move now.....house completes on 22nd May...flights are booked for 24th May.

If Pippa can go her flight has been pencilled in for 18th May....as her Permit also expires end May, she booked into Spotwood 20th May...its very hard because I just cant afford to start her blood test again, apply for extention to Permit and Im not going to be here either....I just dont know how I will cope with her not coming...I thought I'd done everything by not getting her vaccinated against Lepto last July...:cry:

As for Pet Insurance...I'll wait...

thanks for advice Debbie

Guest PossiblyMaybe

Good luck for tomorrow!

You're right - you have done everything you can. Now is just to keep your fingers crossed, but we all know that's hard...

Let us know the result : )

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Deb

Any news?

We are keeping our fingers crossed but I am sure everything will be ok.

Kate

Hi Kate and Possiblymaybe

Pip off to vets at 3pm today...results take a few days...will let you know..Im crossing my finger, toes and everything....just hope she ok...Im sure she knows somethings up..she keeps looking at me..:sad:

hopefully...Debbie xx

Hi Kate

Where abouts in Melbourne are you?:wubclub:

My family live in Tarneit, West of Melbourne...we hope to move to West Melton...yes I know some people dont like it but it seemed nice to us..we hope to rent for a while anyway.

fingers crossed Debbie x

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi Kate and Possiblymaybe

Pip off to vets at 3pm today...results take a few days...will let you know..Im crossing my finger, toes and everything....just hope she ok...Im sure she knows somethings up..she keeps looking at me..:sad:

hopefully...Debbie xx

I am sure it will be fine, but I will still keep my fingers and toes crossed for you:jiggy:

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi Kate

Where abouts in Melbourne are you?:wubclub:

My family live in Tarneit, West of Melbourne...we hope to move to West Melton...yes I know some people dont like it but it seemed nice to us..we hope to rent for a while anyway.

fingers crossed Debbie x

Hi Debbie

We are in the South East, I had some work colleagues who lived in Melton and loved it there and others who were buying in the area, so I am sure you will be happy. Maybe one day when you arrive we can meet up for a coffee and I will get to meet Pip:yes:

Hi Kate... that would be an excellent idea, I look forward to meeting up with you....I have a friend in Australia....:wubclub:...lets hope you can meet Pip too xx

South East is that the other side of the bay? We've never been that side so a nice trip will be in order.

See you soon maybe Debbie xx

Hi Deb

I think you need to talk with the person who is shipping your pet in regards to insurance as you will not be covered on your normal policy.

In regards to Kennel Cough, personally I think you need to get a new vet, but anyway, nevermind. Yes it is normal for dogs to have a reaction to the Kennel Cough Vaccination, when I use to vaccinate we would get 5 or 6 dogs go down with Kennel Cough around 3 - 4 days after injection or intranasal, it is usually only a mild dose of Kennel Cough and hopefully your dog should be over it in 10 days. If your dog is coughing then I would treat with a dose of Benadryl around 5ml for a 30kg dog.

Hope Pip get's well soon, they may not let her travel if she still has Kennel Cough but to be honest you have a good chance that she will be over it pretty soon.

Good luck

Kate

Hi guys..just read your thread, don't wish to be A**L about the above advise on giving the Benadryl as Im sure the intentions we well meant, BUT I would advise anyone reading this against giving their pets any form of human medicine without the advise of their own veterinary surgeon beforehand. Many human products are NOT licensed for animals. ie. have not been tested on them for side effects, they may also interfere with any other form of treatment your vet may wish to give if the pet deteriorates. Kennel cough itself can be caused by bacterial and/or viral particles so the pet often need antibiotics to treat this.

Sorry to go on and I hope Pip is much better now and looking forward to her trip down under. Im sure she will love it.

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi guys..just read your thread, don't wish to be A**L about the above advise on giving the Benadryl as Im sure the intentions we well meant, BUT I would advise anyone reading this against giving their pets any form of human medicine without the advise of their own veterinary surgeon beforehand. Many human products are NOT licensed for animals. ie. have not been tested on them for side effects, they may also interfere with any other form of treatment your vet may wish to give if the pet deteriorates. Kennel cough itself can be caused by bacterial and/or viral particles so the pet often need antibiotics to treat this.

Sorry to go on and I hope Pip is much better now and looking forward to her trip down under. Im sure she will love it.

Hi

Thanks for your post, yes you are correct that people should not give human drugs without speaking to their own veterinarian. Veterinarians can, however, legally prescribe human drugs to animals (what we call extra label )unless it presents a risk to the public health,. Although people must remember that different species metabolize drugs differently.

In regards to Kennel Cough as it is a self limiting disease we do not like to give out antibiotics unless the dog is not recovering and presents with a secondary infection.

In cases of secondary infection or dogs that are in a high risk environment, ie, shelter, breeder then we will cover with antibiotics and Benadryl (diphenhydramine) .

I understand that looking at my signature you may think I have no experience of veterinary care but I worked alongside 40 other vets at the largest veterinary hospital in the Southern Hemisphere until last year.

Benadryl has been used in Veterinary Practise for many years, it has helped with kennel cough, allergies and motion sickness.

BUT as you have mentioned please speak to your OWN vet before considering human drugs and remember NOT all human drugs are safe in animals.:spinny:

Guest The Pom Queen
hello again, I did not mean to offend, I was only worried that some one may get the wrong idea and give something they shouldn't, Anyway thanks for replying. :-)

Hi Helen

No offense taken, and you were correct to make a point of it, sometimes I get tied up in writing a post to a member and forget that other people are reading and may take that advice instead of seeking professional help for their pets:wubclub:

Hi Helen

No offense taken, and you were correct to make a point of it, sometimes I get tied up in writing a post to a member and forget that other people are reading and may take that advice instead of seeking professional help for their pets:wubclub:

Hi Kate

still got billy red paws lol

• 2 weeks later...
Guest myboysinoz
update on Pippa...Vet called about her blood results...both good and bad news...some negative but the Lepto came back positive at 1:100 but negative at 1:800...so now another visit for another blood test....needs to be negative at 1:800, this shows that its not active just attibodies to her vaccination back in July 2007..BUT if the result is positve at 1:800 she cant come:no:

What are my option if her results are bad...know I should wait but I cant....any advise please xx

Vet also said that the Kennel Cough vaccine she had, would cause symptoms...so I dont know why nurse said it wasnt. But her cough has now gone...so the honey and lemon mix worked a treat...some goods news then.

Can anyone recommend a good Pet insurance plan in Oz? I have Tesco at the moment only cost £10.00 per month...me's think it will be more in Oz:rolleyes:

thanks Debx

Hi yah

Sam our labrador also was positive for Lepto too only because his vet was not familiar with the procedure so he has the vaccine 2 months before his actual blood test. He had the second lepto test, although positive still, it was less than the first one so that indicated that the high result was from the vaccine.

As for pet insurance, Sam was with Tesco in the UK but i found one over here called Petsecure Insurance, accident and illness cover, dearer than what I was paying for in the UK , is AU 27.80 monthly. There are many to choose from really depending on what your pet really need

Pleased that Pip responded well with the honey and lemon and TLC, good luck on the second test.

Archived