Resident Return Visa or Citizenship

Guest RAADownUnder

Guest RAADownUnder

Our permanent residence visa runs out next year along with some of the family's UK passports and we are wondering what we should do.

Should we apply for resident return visas which last for 5 years and renew our UK passports or apply for Citizenship and Australian passports?

If we did apply for Citizenship should we still keep our UK passports current...is there any benefit in doing this?

Any suggestions/advice on the pros and cons?

Guest Emcooper

if you decided to get citizenship and ozzie passports, its def worth keeping ur UK passport too,you never know when you may need it. Where are you actually living? at first i thought you were in the UK but you could be on oz too?? gaining citizenship would mean you wouldnt have to go through this again you should be sorted for life then!

Definitely get citizenship and an Australian passport and keep your UK ones current as well - just try not to need them all renewing at the same time because of the $$$$!! It makes for a much easier life to have them both - many of us do have and use both regularly.

Guest proud2beaussie

I agree with Quoll.

,IMHO there is really no downside,apart from the cost,of obtaining Australian Citizenship.

It allows you to travel freely,without a visa,to and from Australia for life (providing of course,that you obtain Australian passports as well,that's an extra cost too).

You can keep your UK passports as they come in usefull when you visit the UK and you only need to renew every ten years .

Just my opinion

The other benefit to taking out Aussie citizenship is that it also makes you eligible to apply for an APEC Business Travel Card. (my reason for doing to after 36 years living here).

On the downside it also exposes you to being liable for jury service and a fine for not voting, even at local council elections.

My advice is the same as Quoll and Nigel. Take out Aussie citizenship but keep your UK passport.

Guest RAADownUnder

Thanks for all the advice. We had almost decided on applying for citizenship and with your comments, we will definately apply.

What are the advantages to keeping our UK passports though?

Well, I'll chime in with exactly the same advice. I have to wait a bit longer before I qualify for citizenship but intend to get it (and an Australian passport) as soon as I'm eligible. However, I'll keep a current British one as well for the convenience when I go back to the UK or around Europe.

Bob

Keep your UK one because you never know when you might need to go back and for what reason. It's easier travelling in and around europe with one than it is with an Aus one - minimally easier but easier nevertheless. That is one thing that would be a deal breaker for me - I will never let my UK passport go and if the Aussies made me choose, I wouldnt be choosing the Aussie one.

Guest RAADownUnder

In the information about applying for citizenship on the DIAC website, it states

If people became permanent residents before 1 July 2007 and apply before 30 June 2010, they must have been physically present in Australia as a permanent resident for a total of two years in the five years before applying, including one year in the two years before applying.

Is there any significance to aplpying before the date of 30 June 2010?

• 3 months later...
Guest CarrLegend

I was born in oz and lived there for 5 years with an oz passport but gave that up whe i came to britain, i have lived in england for 13 years and have british citizenship and passport but am going back to oz this year for a year and was wondering if any-one knows if i could just apply for aussie citizenship and an oz passport or would i need a type iof visa? Any info or comments are truly welcome!

Guest Gollywobbler
In the information about applying for citizenship on the DIAC website, it states

If people became permanent residents before 1 July 2007 and apply before 30 June 2010, they must have been physically present in Australia as a permanent resident for a total of two years in the five years before applying, including one year in the two years before applying.

Is there any significance to aplpying before the date of 30 June 2010?

Hi there

Yes - a lot of significance. If you do not apply for Citizenship before 30th June 2010 you will have to wait for the full four years instead of two, if this is relevant to your situation?

Cheers

Gill

Archived