Car Tax & Insurance?

Guest vjs

Hiya All

Could someone tell me what the cost is to insure & tax cars. Is the tax higher on sports & 4x4. I have Mazda MX5 would like to bring with me or am I mad. I think second hand ones would be more expensive over there. Right or Wrong. Has anyone taken their car over and how much.

Ta

Viv

Guest koala12

Hi

I had a fairly new car which I was thinking about shipping over to Oz when we moved last September but when I made enquiries the cost was prohibitive as it doesn't only include shipping costs but once arrived in Oz you have to pay customs charges and costs of fumigating and cleaning the car to meet their stringent laws. I bought a new car here which was much cheaper than same model in UK. If I was you I would research both options and see.....good insurance companies in Oz are GIO or NRMA so check their websites.

Hiya i agree with Koala ,we too loked into bringing the car but with all the taxes you pay it just isnt worth it ,we bought a 8mth old car at a reasonable price from a dealer ,,remember its normal to haggle. Tax and insurance isnt like the uk ,each vehicle has a rego ,which includes basic 3 rd party insurance,you pay 6mth,or 12mth but i cant remember off the top of my head how much it was ,i think around $600 pr yr.There isnt an mot either although when buying a 2nd hand car it should have a Roadworthy Certificate,hope this helps a bit

Cal x

Thanks to you all for your replies. I did think it would not be worth it. Anyway thinking about it it might just be too hot sometimes for a soft top better to have top up and air con.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JoanneHattersley
Hi

I had a fairly new car which I was thinking about shipping over to Oz when we moved last September but when I made enquiries the cost was prohibitive as it doesn't only include shipping costs but once arrived in Oz you have to pay customs charges and costs of fumigating and cleaning the car to meet their stringent laws. I bought a new car here which was much cheaper than same model in UK. If I was you I would research both options and see.....good insurance companies in Oz are GIO or NRMA so check their websites.

We bought a brand new Toyota Echo (Yaris) for $15000 and a second hand (8 year old ) Holden Jackaroo 4x4 for $18, 000.

This was in 2005

Archived