Cost of Living Budget for ACT 176 App

Guest Samfire

Guest Samfire

Hi guys,

Our State Sponsorship application was submitted incorrectly by our agent! Yes, we know - it's shocking, but never mind that for now! What we need to submit now as a matter of urgency, is an estimated budget showing that we can afford to support ourselves if we move to the ACT - based on research undertaken by us into the cost of living in Canberra/ACT region i.e. gas, elec, groceries, petrol, rent, refuse collection, telecomm services and any other costs that we will need to factor in that we may have forgot to include in the above list.

Any information from all you Canberrans would be greatly appreciated. By the way, we need to show where possible, how we sourced our information, so if you are sourcing your info from the web (i.e. if you have already maybe done this exercise yourselves at some point), we would be very grateful if you could include the relevant web links. This is urgent, as ACT are going to reject our application in two weeks if we don't have this submitted.

Thanks in advance

Samfire :cry:

Guest Samfire

Hi Guys! Just to update you all, we have successfully completed our budget estimation of current cost of living in Canberra - got most of it from the web, not all entirely up-to-date, but it was useful enough for the purposes.

If anybody else needs this info, please pm me and I will be happy to forward our budget estimate information to you.

Phew! Finally got it done - let's cross fingers and toes now and hope for the best!:biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest claire delighted

Hi can you help me out please! can you give me some help with the cost of living i have just been informed to do the same and i am struggling, not sure what to say and how to put across. Congratulations on completing yours

Guest Samfire

Hi Claire

I sent you the info by PM - as for the layout, just put it in letter form, addressed to whoever requested the information from you. Make sure to mention any other assets your may have (even if they don't quite make the $20,000. Where you have additional cash in a bank/credit union, you could scan your current balance statement and send it on electronically, along with your budget estimate, just to show that you won't be arriving empty-handed, at least that's what we did.

I don't know if you've already got a job lined up, but we did, so we stated what hubby's income was going to be upon arrival in Canberra, ACT and compared it to the cost of living (monthly) figures, and it comfortably outweighed the costs.

Don't be disheartened if you don't have an immediate income, as they just want to establish that you are being realistic about what it will cost you to support yourself, and that you are aware of current costs, and the fact that a couple of months rent will probably be required to be paid in advance, and that you will have this money up-front, considering that you will not be entitled to Social Welfare payments.

Good luck with it!

Guest claire delighted
Hi Claire

I sent you the info by PM - as for the layout, just put it in letter form, addressed to whoever requested the information from you. Make sure to mention any other assets your may have (even if they don't quite make the $20,000. Where you have additional cash in a bank/credit union, you could scan your current balance statement and send it on electronically, along with your budget estimate, just to show that you won't be arriving empty-handed, at least that's what we did.

I don't know if you've already got a job lined up, but we did, so we stated what hubby's income was going to be upon arrival in Canberra, ACT and compared it to the cost of living (monthly) figures, and it comfortably outweighed the costs.

Don't be disheartened if you don't have an immediate income, as they just want to establish that you are being realistic about what it will cost you to support yourself, and that you are aware of current costs, and the fact that a couple of months rent will probably be required to be paid in advance, and that you will have this money up-front, considering that you will not be entitled to Social Welfare payments.

Good luck with it!

Thanks for your help i have just been tole by the agent that the statement is acceptable so thanks again. we dont have a job lined up i have applied but refused due to visa? most of the jobs i apply for are with the government though! Were abouts in Canberra are you going we were looking inner south area, but not sure yet! Just planning to go over investigate then decide were to rent!

Fingers crossed, we cant go until the house sells either AAGGGHHHHH

Guest Samfire
Thanks for your help i have just been tole by the agent that the statement is acceptable so thanks again. we dont have a job lined up i have applied but refused due to visa? most of the jobs i apply for are with the government though! Were abouts in Canberra are you going we were looking inner south area, but not sure yet! Just planning to go over investigate then decide were to rent!

Fingers crossed, we cant go until the house sells either AAGGGHHHHH

Hello again Claire! I'm really glad that your budget statement was accepted. Hubby won't be working for the government, so that's why it was easier for him to secure his job offer I assume. We were drawn to the properties way down south - picturesque, breath-taking views of the hills etc. but from my queries here on this forum, I've been advised against it and popular opinion seems to suggest inner south, inner north and north as being more "desirable". We are now thinking of the north - not considering inner north and south for 2 reasons. 1) We are not city centre people at heart - who knows, when we get there we might feel different 2) we find that the further out from the city centre you go, the more affordable the properties are i.e. we can't really afford the properties in the inner north and south. Anyway, we are currently living rurally and love this lifestyle, so being a couple of subarbs out from the city won't affect us too much I'm sure! Like you, we're hoping to get temporary accommodation at first, then check it out before deciding on a long-term rental. I'll be killed by the administrators for straying from the topic of the thread - cost of living budget! Sorry guys!:notworthy:

Archived