Entry to UK

Georgie

Does anyone know if i can travel into UK on an Australian passort and then apply for a British one once back in UK? Will the immigration officials let me back in without a return ticket? On the internet site it tells me i do not need a visa for a trip of 6 months or less BUT it doesnt mention anything about having only a one way ticket.

Any help appreciated as you are cheaper than $2.75 per minute for the British Consular in Canberra!!

Thanks

Guest proud2beaussie

Hi georgie,

Why are you considering travelling on an Australian passport anyway,just apply for a new UK passport here,unless of course you are thinking of the difference in fees between renewing a UK passport here and in the UK ?!

Because we only have to apply for 1 Australian passport here whereas if we applied for British ones we need 3 and it just seems more complicated. The website is very confusing and i am having trouble downloading the British passport forms! We have booked our fligts for the end of Sept so have 6 months but i am a panicker.

Dont worry chaps i paid for the phone call!!:elvis:

I will be turned away from England if i travel on an Australian passport even though i have British birth cert with me so and i say i am only here for 6 months. They would need to see return tickets. I kinda knew but thought they may be lenient. I have sent off for 3 passort apps and i will be on my merry way via Singapore at the end of Sept.

Cant bloomin wait i am sooooo excited

Guest Noodle

Sorry to hear that, life seems to be hard when you do the right thing! I know this will not help but, there have been one or two articles over the past two weeks re. immigration in the UK. Basically, in the past it has been easier for Australians to obtain visas and work within the UK (or for other things). They are beginning to tighten up now - in my mind far too little far too late.... By the way I have not prejudice to any race or color, just individuals who take the micky out of any system in any country, if you get my drift.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and best wishes.

Guest fatpom
Sorry to hear that, life seems to be hard when you do the right thing! I know this will not help but, there have been one or two articles over the past two weeks re. immigration in the UK. Basically, in the past it has been easier for Australians to obtain visas and work within the UK (or for other things). They are beginning to tighten up now - in my mind far too little far too late.... By the way I have not prejudice to any race or color, just individuals who take the micky out of any system in any country, if you get my drift.

About 10 years ago my mates BIL was returned to Aus (in handcuffs) for not having the correct visa. Things may always have been tougher than you think? :smile:

Guest Noodle
About 10 years ago my mates BIL was returned to Aus (in handcuffs) for not having the correct visa. Things may always have been tougher than you think?

I have four nationalities within me, obviously two more prominant! I come from a family of varied shades and colors!!! I do understand toughness from first hand experience, parental experience and grand parent experience further, living in other countries and not quite belonging. Big hugs sent your way :hug: but I am one of those that does understand (plus the visa issue thing too). You gotta laugh though and just hope you do the right things in life :biglaugh:

Guest snow white

i agree with you there they should have tightened up years ago and the uk might not be in the mess its in and a few more of us brits might not have moved out of own country for a better life

lesley x

Guest treesea

Better to get British passports for all imho. My OH came into the UK on an Australian passport and the rest of us had Brit ones, so he went in a different channel at Heathrow. Well, they held him up, in spite of him having a settlement visa. So we were waiting for him, still in the immigration area, and then they told me off for not bringing him through the Brit channel because he was "travelling with us". Makes a mockery of having the separate channels for Brits and foreigners, doesn't it!

I don't know about tightening up though. They are not renewing visas for people who have been working here legitimately for years. Some Americans here in Edinburgh are going home after seven years of working here and paying taxes. But if you come on a visitors visa - hey, why bother with a visa; plenty just pay off lorry drivers and come over on the ferry or through the Euro tunnel - and then overstay the visa, no one cares and you get to stay here pretty much forever, including being able to use the NHS and send your children to school. For a group of countries which has no skills based migration program, it's amazing the numbers of new arrivals that seem to pop up out of the woodwork each week.

Better to get British passports for all imho. My OH came into the UK on an Australian passport and the rest of us had Brit ones, so he went in a different channel at Heathrow. Well, they held him up, in spite of him having a settlement visa. So we were waiting for him, still in the immigration area, and then they told me off for not bringing him through the Brit channel because he was "travelling with us". Makes a mockery of having the separate channels for Brits and foreigners, doesn't it!

I don't know about tightening up though. They are not renewing visas for people who have been working here legitimately for years. Some Americans here in Edinburgh are going home after seven years of working here and paying taxes. But if you come on a visitors visa - hey, why bother with a visa; plenty just pay off lorry drivers and come over on the ferry or through the Euro tunnel - and then overstay the visa, no one cares and you get to stay here pretty much forever, including being able to use the NHS and send your children to school. For a group of countries which has no skills based migration program, it's amazing the numbers of new arrivals that seem to pop up out of the woodwork each week.[/quote]

that's a bit slack isn't it.

Archived