Cheapest flights UK to Sydney

Guest tisrach

Guest tisrach

My 25yr old daughter, has a 3 year old son. She seperated from her Australian husband in Jan 09. A few weeks later she was diagnosed with leukemia. She is about to undergo 4 weeks further chemotheraphy in 10 days time. She is so poorly, and as such she cannot have shared custody of my wonderful boistrous 3yr grandson (doctors orders) and can only see him for perhaps a few hours a week - thats if she and her ex have had no disagreements - she is very reliant on his goodwill and co-operation at this stage. At this stage we have no prognosis on her recovery.

I am obviously going out of my mind with worry. I live as an ex-pat in Spain, making enough income to survive - nothing more. My other children in the UK usually pay for my flights to the UK. I think I might just be able to get enough money for a cheap flight with a bit of help. I have maintained a good relationship with my son-in-law, and still speak to my grandson weekly, so that when I do eventually get to Australia then I can be the one who cares for my grandson when he is with my daughter. In actual fact, ignorging the disagreements he has with my daughter, I am aware that as a working father my son-in-law is also having a very difficult time.

I, by chance, applied for the extended 12 month visa last year and so I could go at any time.

Does anyone have any advise on the cheapest way to get flights and whether or not I need to get a two way flight?

Thanks for your help. Only those seperated from loved ones by such a distance understand what I'm feeling right now.

Rachel

Oh Rachel :hug:

It is usually just as cheap to get a return as a one way ticket so you may just as well get a return IMHO because buying a single from the Aus end will be extortionate!

I think it is the Spanish connection which could make your trip harder to negotiate - I dont know which airlines do the whole trip Spain - Aus but no doubt there must be one. It would be easier if you could depart from London somehow in which case there are loads of online sites or you could just call the airlines and see which one offers the best option. I tend to check Lastminute.com Cathay Pacific have a special going at the moment I believe which looks to be quite a bit cheaper than anything else going on.

Good luck and all the best to your daughter!

Guest Squem

Hi Rachel,

I was just looking at flights for my nan and grandad as they are going over there to see my uncle and did so much research as they are going for 3 months!

It most definately works out cheaper to get a return ticket... one way tickets are never that good and often end up costing more if you know you are definately coming back!!!

I recommend you look at these websites..

www.travelsupermarket.com

www.opodo.com

www.singaporeairlines.com

www.BA.com

Like Quoll said I'm not sure if they go from Spain but it's worth looking into!!

I also found out it was cheaper if you flew on a Sunday.. don't ask me why but i searched for flights on everyday of the week and that day ultimately came out cheaper on some flights!

Also if you can go in the next month or so the flights should be cheaper as their summer season is coming to an end... also do not fly on any public holiday as the prices jump loads! Sorry if i'm stating the obvious it was just what i found out when I was looking the other day!

Like Quoll said Cathay Pacific are the cheapest at the moment... closely followed by Singapore airlines!! I would book as soon as you can as i also found out fuel prices are going to go up so surcharges will go up for passengers... whereas if you book now the price will be fixed and you won't have to pay if these charges go up!

Sorry major long post! I hope this helps!

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter and I hope she is ok!

Emma

Guest tri16

I i just flew from uk (london) with Singapore really cheaply, (700 pounds), book directly through their web site, lots of cheapy flights from spain to London now too.

Good luck, sorry about you daughter, just keep thinking of the your wee grandsons huge smile when he sees you!!!!

Regards

Trish

Guest proud2beaussie

Hi Rachel,

I would think that you should be able to get a pretty cheap fare from Spain to the UK by using one of the low cost carriers like Ryanair or Easyjet,I know their service sometimes leaves a lot to be desired but for a relatively short flight it would probably be a lot cheaper than paying for a Spain-UK flight to be built into a UK-Australia flight.

I deal with travel bookings for clients day in day out and I have access to some special industry fares for compassionate reasons,if you wish to send me a PM with some details of when you think you could travel etc and if possible a return date then I would be happy to try and fix something for you.

Regards

nigel

Guest tisrach

Hi N'Oz,

Thank you so much for your assistance and advise. I cant PM you as its says.

"NIGELINOZ has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her." I also couldn't check on my PM prefernces either!

I dont have any trouble getting to the UK as I live close to Almeria and Granada airports and am happy to use the low cost carries for such a short journey.

My daughter starts her next session of Chemo next wednesday 1st April for 4 weeks. I would like to go out to Australia mid May which is when she'd really be needing my help. I would envisage being out there for not less than 3 months and probably not more than 6. I am totally flexible on dates/times/stopovers. As I said I have an existing 12 month visa to last until June 2010.

But I am not in a position to pay for this yet until I have been paid for a website thats nearly finished - I am just waiting for the client to come back from holiday to sign it off. I am expecting my money in about 2 weeks time and so couldn't book anything before then.

I have absolutely zero preference on choice of carriers on this occassion and although I would prefer to depart from London I could travel elsewhere in the UK for the right flight.

I can easily telephone any landline number to discuss this further using my computer, or Skype.

Thanks again.

Rachel

Archived