Building / Renovation / Trades - Minefield

Guest local builders

Guest local builders

Hi everyone,

First post here, I'm a local Gold Coast builder ( Aussie ) with many a good pommy / trade mates. Recently, my best pommy mate told me about this site, about the Brits who are looking to land in Oz, come across many problems relating to either building or buying a house, 'tradies' who are looking to chase work only to find that local licences are required over and above what you may bring with you or from what you have been told.

As many of you may or may not know, there are many pitfalls that can start you off on the wrong foot, so to speak and can become nightmares.

If my pommy mates & I can help you out with your building requirements, no problems but the main topic here is to tell you how is really is, ( Not to gloss over and make everything sound wonderful )

I'm happy to give honest advice and basic guidance ( Not legal ) on matters. There no costs attached. Any queries that I answer will be a 'general rule of thumb' approach with a genuine comment as to how things really are at present or what may be required.

Topics may include but not limited to ........

*** For 'tradies' who come out only to find that they need local state licences, etc.

*** Looking to buy a house, what 'local problems' do we need to look out for?

*** Looking for a tradesman on the Coast ( you may prefer an ex Brit ) or anyone else for that matter, etc.

Regards,

JP

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi everyone,

First post here, I'm a local Gold Coast builder ( Aussie ) with many a good pommy / trade mates. Recently, my best pommy mate told me about this site, about the Brits who are looking to land in Oz, come across many problems relating to either building or buying a house, 'tradies' who are looking to chase work only to find that local licences are required over and above what you may bring with you or from what you have been told.

As many of you may or may not know, there are many pitfalls that can start you off on the wrong foot, so to speak and can become nightmares.

If my pommy mates & I can help you out with your building requirements, no problems but the main topic here is to tell you how is really is, ( Not to gloss over and make everything sound wonderful )

I'm happy to give honest advice and basic guidance ( Not legal ) on matters. There no costs attached. Any queries that I answer will be a 'general rule of thumb' approach with a genuine comment as to how things really are at present or what may be required.

*** For 'tradies' who come out only to find that they need local state licences, etc.

*** Looking for a tradesman on the Coast ( prefer a ex Brit ) etc.

Regards,

JP

Sounds good but I feel that you can't in this age say "Looking for a tradesman on the Coast ( prefer a ex Brit ) etc." it can be seen as racial discrimination!

Guest steve the spark
Sounds good but I feel that you can't in this age say "Looking for a tradesman on the Coast ( prefer a ex Brit ) etc." it can be seen as racial discrimination!

get a grip, the guys offering help and all you can do is pull him up becasue he`s offering to use an expat,

regards

steve an electrical contractor living and working in The Gold Coast

O and i`m from the UK too so Ex brit ;)

Guest steve nick
Hi everyone,

*** Looking for a tradesman on the Coast ( you may prefer an ex Brit ) or anyone else for that matter, etc.

Regards,

JP

yeh mate, don't need a licenced pommy Brickie do ya or know of some one who does. if you can solve that one i'd be grateful, i'm in Brisbane. 25 years exp, fast and neat and reliable. have trowel will travel!!!!! steve.

get a grip, the guys offering help and all you can do is pull him up becasue he`s offering to use an expat,

regards

steve an electrical contractor living and working in The Gold Coast

O and i`m from the UK too so Ex brit ;)

I know where you are coming from, but if I advertise and say I prefer a Brit or an Italian or Pole I am in trouble with the law. There are nationalities I would prefer if I was a boss, but I cannot say it publicly. and chippy2 I don,t think you understand sorry, anything to knock Australia, when is your plane taking off?

I know where you are coming from, but if I advertise and say I prefer a Brit or an Italian or Pole I am in trouble with the law. There are nationalities I would prefer if I was a boss, but I cannot say it publicly. and chippy2 I don,t think you understand sorry, anything to knock Australia, when is your plane taking off?

what have i to be sorry about,must be the chance of not meeting you,as for me your one to talk,an expat who slags eveything british off.must have been badly bullied when you was younger.as for the plane not soon enough:tongue:

what have i to be sorry about,must be the chance of not meeting you,as for me your one to talk,an expat who slags eveything british off.must have been badly bullied when you was younger.as for the plane not soon enough:tongue:

Its just that I love Australia, and never want to see UK again. It done nothing for me, never had never will.

No more contact as I have put you on my ignore list! Have a look at careerone today and put in carpenter, quite a few jobs if you want one and qualified for it! Bye

Its just that I love Australia, and never want to see UK again. It done nothing for me, never had never will.

No more contact as I have put you on my ignore list! Have a look at careerone today and put in carpenter, quite a few jobs if you want one and qualified for it! Bye

does this mean you want me to stay,what next youll want to go for a pint,sorry a scooner,:biggrin:

Hi everyone,

Regards,

JP

Hi Jp,

Thats really kind of you to offer such valuable information, and as a brickie looking to come over I for one will be picking your brains at some point.:spinny:

Guest alan r

hi jp ,i am a carpenter returning to uk in may ,havent done a lot work wise since xmas. i have tried everything to get a job. have now got job in uk for at least 18 months. i was just wondering as you r a local tradesman when u think to work will pick up. also i have some good aussie mates {carpenters ** who say they have never known the work situation to be as bad !!! what r your thoughts on the matter ? i hold no grudges to aus i love the place but cant live on fresh air alone . thanks alan

Guest Rickard Family
hi jp ,i am a carpenter returning to uk in may ,havent done a lot work wise since xmas. i have tried everything to get a job. have now got job in uk for at least 18 months. i was just wondering as you r a local tradesman when u think to work will pick up. also i have some good aussie mates {carpenters ** who say they have never known the work situation to be as bad !!! what r your thoughts on the matter ? i hold no grudges to aus i love the place but cant live on fresh air alone . thanks alan

Hi i too would be interested in the answer to this as OH is carpenter and hoping to be over by the end of the year!

Cheers

Lou

Hi i too would be interested in the answer to this as OH is carpenter and hoping to be over by the end of the year!

Cheers

Lou

The first home buyers scheme as been a great success, huge numbers will be building soon, and this will flow through within a month or so.

Guest local builders

Hi Alan, sorry to hear your leaving but you are dead right about the current work situation. I spoken to alot of other builders as well and your comments pretty much somes it up at present.

From what I've read over the last week, there seems to be alot of trade work in the NT (Darwin, etc ) but its a very tough climate there to say the least.

Regards,

JP

Guest local builders

Hi Lou,

As I've just mention to Alan R. things are very tough in general at present. Strangely though, I notice / heard that some builders have alot whereas alot of builders have very little, nothing in between, which is uncommon. Theres work in some pockets of the country but not much as a whole.

JP

Guest steve the spark
The first home buyers scheme as been a great success, huge numbers will be building soon, and this will flow through within a month or so.

well i love an opomist but saying that the construction market in regard to housing will pick up in a month or two is in my opinion massively over opomistic,

i really really hope i`m prooved wrong but i dont feel that i will be the case, my prediction would be that it`ll get worse before it gets better and that the recovery is at least 12 months away

like i said thats my takeon it

regards steve

well i love an opomist but saying that the construction market in regard to housing will pick up in a month or two is in my opinion massively over opomistic,

i really really hope i`m prooved wrong but i dont feel that i will be the case, my prediction would be that it`ll get worse before it gets better and that the recovery is at least 12 months away

like i said thats my takeon it

regards steve

we have a friend who is on First homebuyers and their slab goes down in 10 days, so I would imagine there will be a lot more like them from the recent batch .I was in the building industry for 50 years until retirement at xmas, and of all the contacts and friends in the industry, all are still in work although it is a lot quieter they say, and they welcome a bit quieter time. Things have been rather hectic the last few years, so this crunch have given them the chance to get rid of some dead wood, and take a bit of a breather. There are 13,500 houses going up in Brisbane this year.

MORE homes will be built in Adelaide than in Sydney in 2009, proof that the housing crisis engulfing the nation's biggest city is reaching alarming proportions.

Figures obtained by The Daily Telegraph show an estimated 7300 new dwellings will be built in Sydney this year, the lowest rate of growth in more than 50 years and roughly a third of the homes built in 2003.

The bleak projections are in stark contrast to Melbourne, where an estimated 23,000 new dwellings will be built this year. Across the border in Adelaide - a city boasting a population one quarter of the size of Sydney - about 7500 new homes are scheduled,[ that should help you a bit Pablo] while Brisbane expects 13,450 new homes to be built.

BIS Shrapnel's figures were backed up by the Property Council of Australia yesterday, which called for the State Government to urgently sort out its housing framework to make it easier for investors. NSW executive director Ken Morrison said other state capitals had far better planning processes for their housing industries.

The National Housing Supply Council report out earlier this month estimated an 85,000 dwelling shortage in June 2008. That gap is tipped to grow to 203,000 by 2013.

Guest local builders

With all due respect to the posting, I think 'Steve the Spark' has it spot on. Yes, things will improve but with time.

JP

Guest local builders

Hi Hutchies,

In truth, no real idea as to how Melbourne is apart from the fact that Oz as a whole has quieten off.

The old saying that if you have contacts, that can make all the difference. Sorry I can't be of more help.

JP

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kev and del

Well done JP for taking the trouble to try and help people...lets face it anyone with a trade a the moment needs all the help they can get. Been here 6 weeks and hubby has been going frantic as no tools to work yet as container not delivering until Tues but will be ready and raring to go.

Just started to apply for jobs now as ABN no through and already got blue card back in UK, at present now just had meeting with skills soloution for a getting QLD licence.

Anything else you can advise about would be great. Rental sorted bye the way.

Just hope can get job now as pressure on as family to support and was lucky enough to have work back in the UK....in fact never been out of work. He is a carpenter by the way...and a bloody good one at that .....mind you would say that!

My motto is never assume and stay positive!

Regards Del.

Guest SEFFnSARAH

Hi JP

Good thread. Great to know that there is someone willing to help us all out if you can. My OH is tape and jointer/painter decorator in UK. He has 9 years, an NVQ2 in Dry Lining and is very good at his job (but I know everyone says that.) He is now doing more on the decoration side here but doesn't have any paperwork. He has already got Blue Card and as work here has all but dried up is looking to fly out to Brisbane soon to look for a job.

Will he need anything else? Do you know of anybody in the Brisbane/Gold Coast area looking for a friendly/reliable person for this type of job that you can put us in touch with?

Thanks

Sarah

Archived