How does Visa ceiling works....?????

dan77

Can anyone please tell how this visa ceiling for a particular year works...i mean the new ceiling for 208-09 has been revised to 115000 places...what does it means. If i apply for 175 today would my application be rejected once 115000 visas have been granted till 31.03.2009.

Please help..

No...

It just means no more visas will be issued until the next migration year...

Effectivly your application will be on hold until 1/7/09..

This is my understanding anyhow..

This is interesting, so if the worst were to happen & us 175's that have just applied didnt get through this time, they will start getting looked at in July 09....So the process would then begin (am I correct?) So then what sort of time scale would we be looking at??? :confused:

Many thanks,

Kelly :v_SPIN:

This is interesting, so if the worst were to happen & us 175's that have just applied didnt get through this time, they will start getting looked at in July 09....So the process would then begin (am I correct?) So then what sort of time scale would we be looking at??? :confused:

Many thanks,

Kelly :v_SPIN:

Hi Kelly

Yes thats right....

Timeline not very good going on what DIAC told me last week, they said my own application 175 would probably not be granted until March 2010 under the current set of guidelines...Hence weve switched to a 176...

Best of luck with your application..

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

Please do NOT rely on guesswork by the junior DIAC staff who get the job of answering the phones. A week ago they were telling everyone that everything had settled down since the 1st January shakeup and that things were nicely on target for mm/yyyy for the caller.

These same staff had absolutely NO idea that the Minister planned to hang a new CSL round their necks first thing on Monday morning with no prior warning to the ASPC at all. The ASPC Directors probably knew but the whole thing was kept under wraps and the ordinary staff were as amazed as everyone else when they saw the newspaper predictions over the weekend and then heard the announcement on the breakfast news on the morning of Monday 16th.

The only thing that anyone can say for sure is that CSL applications which survived the savage pruning of the CSL last Monday will now be processed faster simply because a major part of the queue for them has been relegated to non-priority status.

My own feeling, for what it is worth, is that the smart money will apply for State Sponsorship before the States have a chance to prune their own Lists as well. People might end up feeling very unwell if in six months time they decide to apply for State Sponsorship to hurry things up only to learn that their occupation is no longer on the List for the State they wish to move to and may not be on the List for any other State either by then.

I am NOT saying, "Don't gamble." However I am saying, "If you are minded to gamble then please make sure that you understand all the ins and outs of the gamble before you make a decision about how to proceed."

Best wishes

Gill

Hi All

Please do NOT rely on guesswork by the junior DIAC staff who get the job of answering the phones. A week ago they were telling everyone that everything had settled down since the 1st January shakeup and that things were nicely on target for mm/yyyy for the caller.

These same staff had absolutely NO idea that the Minister planned to hang a new CSL round their necks first thing on Monday morning with no prior warning to the ASPC at all. The ASPC Directors probably knew but the whole thing was kept under wraps and the ordinary staff were as amazed as everyone else when they saw the newspaper predictions over the weekend and then heard the announcement on the breakfast news on the morning of Monday 16th.

The only thing that anyone can say for sure is that CSL applications which survived the savage pruning of the CSL last Monday will now be processed faster simply because a major part of the queue for them has been relegated to non-priority status.

My own feeling, for what it is worth, is that the smart money will apply for State Sponsorship before the States have a chance to prune their own Lists as well. People might end up feeling very unwell if in six months time they decide to apply for State Sponsorship to hurry things up only to learn that their occupation is no longer on the List for the State they wish to move to and may not be on the List for any other State either by then.

I am NOT saying, "Don't gamble." However I am saying, "If you are minded to gamble then please make sure that you understand all the ins and outs of the gamble before you make a decision about how to proceed."

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill

Great bit of advice...

We had planned togo to Brisbane all along so Qsld SS was a no brainer for us once agent gave us his advice..

I am seeing though one or two folk applying for SS to anywhere just to get ahead in the queue..

Guest Gollywobbler
Can anyone please tell how this visa ceiling for a particular year works...i mean the new ceiling for 208-09 has been revised to 115000 places...what does it means. If i apply for 175 today would my application be rejected once 115000 visas have been granted till 31.03.2009.

Please help..

Hi Dan

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

The Australian Financial Year End is 30th June so everything is calculated by reference to that date.

The Minister has announced that the maximum number of skilled Permanent Residency visas that can be granted during the current year is 115,000. This figure counts only the main visa applicant, not the members of his family as well.

It is quite likely that skilled PR visas will continue to be granted up until and including on 30th June 2009. The Minister would not have set the new target at a figure which DIAC cannot physically deliver.

In mid May the Australian Government will publish its 2009/10 Budget. I think it is due to be published on about 12th May. In the Budget the Minister for Immi will say what the new quota of skilled PR visas for 2009/10 will be. He might hold it steady at another 115,000 visas considering that there is only about 7 to 8 weeks left before the release of the new Budget.

The main consideration at the moment is not actually the total number of visas. 115,000 is still the highest ceiling ever set since the Migration Act 1958 became Law.

Much more important is the way the Minister is playing with occupations in order to ensure that only people whose occupations are genuinely needed in the short term will get visas for the time being. He has said that this is to be confined mainly to Health professionals, Engineers, IT experts and a few accountants.

Employers can override that if they can prove that they have a specific need for a worker and that the position cannot be filled other than by hiring a migrant to go to Oz to do the work that the employer needs to get done. The State/Territory Governments can override it as well if they have a local demand which differs from the central ideas devised by and in Canberra. This said, although the States can override the new CSL if they can demonstrate genuine need, they cannot simply ignore the new CSL altogether.

A year ago a migrant could say, "I am a Toolmaker. I'm undecided about which part of Oz I want to move to so I will obtain a subclass 175 visa. I am on the MODL so I should get my visa fairly quickly."

One year on the story has become, "The wise Toolmaker will move to whichever State is willing to have him because if he wants to be choosy then he will not be moving to Oz any time soon." The Minister has turned the entire thing on to its head.

Best wishes

Gill

Archived