Aus wages against uk wages

Guest 1957alan

Guest kazmatt
so true smc, a loaf of bread is such a random thing as well, even a whole weekly shop in general you'd probably be talking a difference of a max of $20!!

Now compare that to not paying national insurance or council tax to name two things.

not paying national insurance means no nhs, which means you need to take out good medical cover for your family which does not come cheap, no you dont pay council tax, but if you own your property you have to pay rates, if you are renting then the rates are added to your rent thats why rent is so much here, there is no comparison, cost of living is sky high here, none of the great buy one get one frees, very little reduced items, add the mozzie spray to your shop each week, cost of beer, expensive.

Guest proud2beaussie

To be perfectly honest I couldn't care less about the cost of living here, ,Australia is my home and I wouldn't care if the cost of living was five times as high,I would still live here and love it.

So anyone who want's to can rave on as much as they like about how expensive a pint is,I really don't care.I'm happy with Australia they way it is,

Guest 1957alan

id care if i had to pay 5 times as much a 500,000 house/ 2.5 million/ weekly shop 250/1250/ 20,000 car/100,000 some overtime that mate gone from 40hrs a week to 200/ just to matain status quo.ah well love is the drug ,and i wonder what drug you would use to stay awake 200hrs a week.

To be perfectly honest I couldn't care less about the cost of living here, ,Australia is my home and I wouldn't care if the cost of living was five times as high,I would still live here and love it.

So anyone who want's to can rave on as much as they like about how expensive a pint is,I really don't care.I'm happy with Australia they way it is,

Me, too. So, there.:tongue:

Cheers, Bobj.

not paying national insurance means no nhs, which means you need to take out good medical cover for your family which does not come cheap, no you dont pay council tax, but if you own your property you have to pay rates, if you are renting then the rates are added to your rent thats why rent is so much here, there is no comparison, cost of living is sky high here, none of the great buy one get one frees, very little reduced items, add the mozzie spray to your shop each week, cost of beer, expensive.

how about also no tv license, and fuel prices of $1.09 per litre compared to uk fuel prices of 1pound a litre (you don't have to buy a gas guzzler in aus unless you want one btw).

My local woolies does loads of food offers, meaning i can have a good healthy diet for just $110 per fortnight!!!

Car insurance, i pay about $150 per year for my camry, like to see you insure an equal car for a 32 year old in the uk for less than 75 pounds per year.

Think we're just going to have to agree to disagree as personal i find australia a much cheaper place to live.

Guest ABCDiamond

not paying national insurance means no nhs, which means you need to take out good medical cover for your family which does not come cheap,
Not in Australia, as we get medicare, which only costs 1.5% of our wages.

Guest earlswood

Good for you....but otheres do care and that is why we have this forum and this thread....

Just a thought like.

Guest earlswood

If you are an old boring fart who finds watching constant adverts for “penile dysfunction” on boring Aussie TV and just sits at home sweltering under a mozzie net because the cost of air-conditioning for your fixed British pension is to much and you drink only P&N lime and brekky juice cordial and the only time you go out is to your neighbours annual barbecue where all the home brew on offer is available and free…..then YES you might find Australia slightly cheaper than the UK…..

But if you are a young stud like me who likes to party and likes to get down and dirty with the young willing fillies of Perth till the earlier hours and pay £7 a pint in the nightclubs and have to pay the rip-off taxi fares they have over here and have to constantly pay for fast food (thank god aussies love fast food, maybe that’s why they are such a fat nation) because all the bloody shops have just closed the second I have just left work……and have to pay mental rent for a flat that is the size of a large dog-kennel and smells about the same….then NO you cannot compare the cost of living with the UK.

Guest kazmatt
Not in Australia, as we get medicare, which only costs 1.5% of our wages.

medicare is crap, unless you have a concession card ( you get one of these if you are on a very low wage ), otherwise you have to pay towards most things, including seeing a doctor, you pay around $50 dollars, but can claim about $30 dollars back from medicare, still cost you twenty though, and then you pay for your medication and not like the u.k. where you just pay for the prescription, i lived in wales where prescriptions were free.

Guest Darwin's coming too

Hi Guys,

I see the usual anti-aussie brigade and pro-aussies have been out in force on this thread - always makes me smile (thank you !)

My weekly shopping bill is £90-120 doesn't matter whether I go to tesco, morrisons or asda

Currently paying 99p/litre for diesel

New council tax bill arrived - £1470/yr for band C house

Water rates - £240/yr

Winter gas bill - £348/3 months

Car Ins - £430/yr (full no claims on megane & a civic)

Sky - £36/mth

Phone&Broadband - £35/mth

Interest rate on mortgage - 1.34% (tracker rate)

Income tax+NI+Pension+Student Loan = 30% gross salary/mth

TV licence - £12/mth

Pint of real ale - £2.50 to £3.50 depending on pub

Glass of wine (175ml) £3 to £6.50 depending on wine & pub

Hope this helps,

the deals that people talk about in uk supermarkets are usually "loss-leaders" on cans of lager (carling, carlsberg) £20 for 24 cans type of thing, food offers alwys seem to be cheap frozen sausages (50%meat eek !) frozen battery farmed chicken pieces and all the pre-packaged processed frozen rubbish which is full of fat/salt/mashed-up meat or fish etc. There are rarely deals on healthy foods.

By the way there's just the 2 of us, I know friends at work spend same as me on food but for family of 4 but I only buy free-range chicken, outdoor reared pork, best ribeye steaks, 90%+meat sausages (black farmer or porkinsons) and very little processed foods.

Lisa

Guest earlswood
Hi Guys' date='

I see the usual anti-aussie brigade and pro-aussies have been out in force on this thread - always makes me smile (thank you !)

My weekly shopping bill is £90-120 doesn't matter whether I go to tesco, morrisons or asda

Currently paying 99p/litre for diesel

New council tax bill arrived - £1470/yr for band C house

Water rates - £240/yr

Winter gas bill - £348/3 months

Car Ins - £430/yr (full no claims on megane & a civic)

Sky - £36/mth

Phone&Broadband - £35/mth

Interest rate on mortgage - 1.34% (tracker rate)

Income tax+NI+Pension+Student Loan = 30% gross salary/mth

TV licence - £12/mth

Pint of real ale - £2.50 to £3.50 depending on pub

Glass of wine (175ml) £3 to £6.50 depending on wine & pub

Hope this helps,

the deals that people talk about in uk supermarkets are usually "loss-leaders" on cans of lager (carling, carlsberg) £20 for 24 cans type of thing, food offers alwys seem to be cheap frozen sausages (50%meat eek !) frozen battery farmed chicken pieces and all the pre-packaged processed frozen rubbish which is full of fat/salt/mashed-up meat or fish etc. There are rarely deals on healthy foods.

By the way there's just the 2 of us, I know friends at work spend same as me on food but for family of 4 but I only buy free-range chicken, outdoor reared pork, best ribeye steaks, 90%+meat sausages (black farmer or porkinsons) and very little processed foods.

Lisa[/quote']

Never ever moan about British sausages till you have tried the sausages in Oz they contain 35% meat...:dull: whats the rest. and taste disgusting.

And if you like fast food takaway processed meats you will love Oz with its burger-bar literally on every corner..

If you are an old boring fart who finds watching constant adverts for “penile dysfunction” on boring Aussie TV and just sits at home sweltering under a mozzie net because the cost of air-conditioning for your fixed British pension is to much and you drink only P&N lime and brekky juice cordial and the only time you go out is to your neighbours annual barbecue where all the home brew on offer is available and free…..then YES you might find Australia slightly cheaper than the UK…..

But if you are a young stud like me who likes to party and likes to get down and dirty with the young willing fillies of Perth till the earlier hours and pay £7 a pint in the nightclubs and have to pay the rip-off taxi fares they have over here and have to constantly pay for fast food (thank god aussies love fast food, maybe that’s why they are such a fat nation) because all the bloody shops have just closed the second I have just left work……and have to pay mental rent for a flat that is the size of a large dog-kennel and smells about the same….then NO you cannot compare the cost of living with the UK.

first off you are talking silly amounts of crap.

secondly, YOU DON"T NEED TO BE DRUNK TO PULL

Guest Darwin's coming too
Never ever moan about British sausages till you have tried the sausages in Oz they contain 35% meat...:dull: whats the rest. and taste disgusting.

And if you like fast food takaway processed meats you will love Oz with its burger-bar literally on every corner..

maybe i'll open up my own sausage shop then

Lisa's Luscious Snags !:biglaugh:

Guest earlswood
first off you are talking silly amounts of crap.

secondly, YOU DON"T NEED TO BE DRUNK TO PULL

Looking at your photo though Paul...the bird does...:biglaugh:

Guest earlswood
maybe i'll open up my own sausage shop then

Lisa's Luscious Snags !:biglaugh:

That is a bloody good idea...along with a decent curry house and a decent chippy.:idea:

Guest smc01

So you're saying they charge $15 for a pint? Funny, in all they years I lived in Aus average price for a pint was about $5-$6. Maybe in a nightclub in the middle of the city it was $7, but certainly not $15!! And anyways, if you go to nightclubs in London you can hardly get pints, they give you 375ml bottles for about £5. And taxis as well, are loads cheaper in Aus than in London. FACT!!! Seriously you have to stop this drivel that keeps coming out of your mouth!! You can't say you're helping people when you're sprouting utter nonsense!!! :wacko:

Guest ABCDiamond
medicare is crap, unless you have a concession card ( you get one of these if you are on a very low wage ), otherwise you have to pay towards most things, including seeing a doctor, you pay around $50 dollars, but can claim about $30 dollars back from medicare, still cost you twenty though, and then you pay for your medication and not like the u.k. where you just pay for the prescription, i lived in wales where prescriptions were free.

Medicare is NOT crap. I have had very good service from it, without having to pay anything. Hospital treatment is free, and waiting to get in is much shorter than I experienced in the UK.

You don't HAVE to pay to see a doctor, some doctors do it the way you say, but many others Bulk Bill, which means you pay NOTHING.

In 18 years here I have only ever paid twice, and then claimed about 80% of it back, and I see a doctor about 4 times a year on average.

And I can normally get to see my Doctor either same day or next day.

Medications do cost I agree. Currently a maximum of about $32.00, but with a safety net to ensure you don't spend too much each year, if you need regular medication.

Having a concession card does not make Medicare better or worse, just even cheaper for prescriptions at $5 each.

Eye tests are also Free.

Guest JoanneHattersley

You don't HAVE to pay to see a doctor, some doctors do it the way you say, but many others Bulk Bill, which means you pay NOTHING

And I can normally get to see my Doctor either same day or next day.

I dont pay either. Ours bulk bills but even b4 Medicare we claimed it back!

Medications do cost I agree. Currently a maximum of about $32.00, but with a safety net to ensure you don't spend too much each year, if you need regular medication.

Im on epilepsy meds! TBH doesnt bother me what I spend, they`re keeping me alive!

Eye tests are also Free.

HAD my free eye test too!

I am lucky in being able to currently afford private health. Im glad as since being here i have needed it. Could not complain at all about that!

As for wages....

I earn the same for 10 hours a week less

he earns the same for about 8 hrs a week more

Works for us!

Guest smc01

My mum has private health insurance but has opted on several occassions to not use it when having to go to hospital, as she says the public system is just as good and then she doesn't have to pay the excess!

I pay a gap fee of approx $28 to see the same GP every time (she is Irish and a great GP who is familar with my condition) Medicare pay the rest. My children however are Bulk Billed (costs me nothing) and they still recieve a good service albeit with different GPs.

We have used A & E in the public sector and it was fine. Clean, friendly staff and we were in and out within a couple of hours not much different to the UK A & E really.

My liver tablets me cost approx $36 pr month (one prescription is about a months worth of tablets), the only difference i have really 'noticed' over here is with childrens prescriptions, antibiotics etc , you do have to pay dependant on the mediccation the price varies , i have paid around $15/ $20.

I did find Medicare hard to understand for a while so any new comers don't be afraid to ask your local GP or receptionist to explain it to you, i found everyone very helpful.

Cal x

Archived