Re-training as a bricky in Oz?

Ant And Rach

Hi all

Fantastic site! Not had much of a life away from PC since finding it!

I'm 26, Rach is 27, and we have 2 nips, age 8 (Dec) and 18mths (Maddison).

I have worked as a fire sprinkler fitter for just over 12 months with no formal qualifications. Before that i have been a site labourer and also office based! Rach is currently in an office based/admin role for over 8 years (also no quals).

Since I have no qualifications I feel like I should choose an occupation that really appeals to me and stick with it - Bricklaying in Australian sun (sounds great to me)

So, we are looking to lodge an app for Student Visa (572) so i can study Bricklaying at TAFE Gipps in Melbourne, VIC. Our route is then to apply for graduate visa (485) to gain work experience, followed by an application for Perm. Residence.

I have thoroughly researched into the proccesses and often been confused. Our house is going on the market in next week or 2 under price for quick(er) sale. We stand to make around £40K from this which will be our budget. We not big spenders so feel we can manage with this after working out school and course fees, rentals, car, etc.

Just worried with these changes and the current climate. Don't want to end up back in England with all lost, after studying in Oz!

I invite people to shoot holes in my plan! :hug: Seriously, any advice greatly appreciated.

Many many thanks

Ant and Rach :wacko:

melbourne tends to be a bit cooler than most areas right? I have worked in London summer at 30'c as site labourer, hard sweaty graft but i prefer that to workling in the rain or freezing cold!

Thanks for feedback. Ant

Well i was going to ask you if you had put a shift in at high temps, i dont know if its the same tho mate tbh,labourers can mooch around a bit,sometimes being stuck in more or less the same spot for hours with the sun on your swede can make a big difference imo,but tbh bricklayings a dying trade mate,ive just finished a site i was on in lpool,i was on it a year( billion quid project )rebuilding the city centre,the vast majority of builds were marble,glass,pre fabricated "stone" and what "looks" like brickwork,but it isnt,huge concrete slabs with a brick veneer stuck on,just like your local Mcdonalds,comes on the back of a few wagons overnight ,stitched together,and the "brickwork" you see is tiles.im sure you will earn a living on housebashing if thats what you want,but theres no guts in them anymore either,all drywall now. but if ( unlike me! ) you dont mind the heat,go for it,as i say im sure you will earn a shilling,im just saying its not what i would advise any of my mates to do,good luck whatever you decide

thanks pablo

it has occured to me about bricklaying being replaced by other methods, the course at Tafe is bricklaying/blockpaving so hopefully that gives a little more opportunity. My other option was plumbing as it is similar nature to my previous sprinkler fitting exploits. However, there are no courses in plumbing that would qualify me to Level 3 (for Perm Migration) available to student visa holders. I suppose I could look at plastering or other trades, i'm not fussy really as long as its 'hands-on' work and there is gonna be jobs out there when am qualified.

Re, sun on swede, i have one of them Aussie hats with the corks danglin down so that might help! :laugh:

Guest tony byrne

hi ant as a bricklayer myself i wouldnt recomend it. judging by the last couple of jobs i have been on in my home town of liverpool i agree with what pablo said it seems to be a dying breed every thing seems to be fancy pannels and cladding these days. as for working in the heat it can be tough, i worked in queensland while on a working holiday and at first didnt think i would last it got that hot. but saying that did seem to get use to it in the end.

I'd love to be a rocket scientist!

However don't think my budget would stretch to all them years of study, same with computers i'm afraid. Apart from that i worked in various office jobs after leaving school for around 5 years. Much prefer trade/building work maybe because you don't come to the same place, same desk and chair in fact, everyday.

Does anyone know why Wall/Floor tiling remains in demand? Perhaps all the swimming pools to be tiled?? lol

Might be best to do a tiling course, however, who knows what'll be on the CSL come 2012 when am qualified??

Thanks Again for the replies everyone!

Guest Scamp1976
I'd love to be a rocket scientist!

However don't think my budget would stretch to all them years of study, same with computers i'm afraid. Apart from that i worked in various office jobs after leaving school for around 5 years. Much prefer trade/building work maybe because you don't come to the same place, same desk and chair in fact, everyday.

Does anyone know why Wall/Floor tiling remains in demand? Perhaps all the swimming pools to be tiled?? lol

Might be best to do a tiling course, however, who knows what'll be on the CSL come 2012 when am qualified??

Thanks Again for the replies everyone!

On a more serious note, you can try your luck in IT I think. CCNA is very cheap to get, you download the book online and also the simulators, then you just practice and read until you are ready for the exam. It will cost you 150 dollars for the exam fee, after which you will be CCNA certified. Then you can specialize further in networking or certify for Microsoft or databases.

If you like a changing climate, you can always do consulting.

Being a tiler / roofer in Australia , uh... well I don't know if you are aware that the temperatures on a roof can mount up to 50 or 60 degrees celcius ? You have to wet the stones before you can even handle them or they will be too hot. It's very very hard work and you will cook alive. Remember on building zones there's very few airco's , usually that's fitted last. Maybe you can service or maintain airconditioning units ? There's plenty of those around and they all need servicing. And people will be SO happy to see you when you fix their airco's, that's worth something too.

Ye if I were going to do a trade it'd be airco-fixing

• 1 year later...

HI

ant i did my brickies course in sydney i finished in 06 as an international student they don,t miss you on the fee's if i remember right they charged me about $3.000 per term .

I went 2 nites a week hard work in the summer as you start work on site at 7 finsh at 3 ish then be at tafe for five thirty till nine thirty .

drop me a line if you need any more info

Archived