Friends in Sydney city/ CBD/ Surry hills....

Hi everyone!

Just wondered if there are any groups or meet ups that go on in the Sydney CBD/ Surry hills or city area. Most of the people seeking friends on this site seem to be in the suburbs, am I the only one in this area seeking friends, I am convinced there must be others that need friends in the area?! ( surely I can't be the only one)?

I am in my early 30's and although enjoy a laugh, a girly chat, giggles and laughs I am not really massively into the pub/club scene much anymore ( although on occasion still dabble)!

I am much more likely to be found pondering art, vintage shopping, sipping lattes or enjoying the sun and outside.

I am currently not working and so have plenty of spare time ( that is both good and bad)

I am child orientated ( That's what I do for work, when at work) so I'm not put off by people who have kids- as some are!

Any one in the same boat, looking for friendly chat and whittling the hours away,

drop a line, I look forward to hearing from you :)

Tara

Guest lillibet

Hi Twinkle, i live close to the city, i'm just at milson's point and am also looking for friends. I'm 22 and dont really do pubs very much either. I also work with kids (although i'm currently off sick thanks i thnk to the kids).

if you ever want to meet up for a chat, i'd be more than happy to.

Lizzie

hi Lizzie,

phew! its not just me then!

I am currently off sick too, I have shingles:(

Why don't we meet for a coffee and chat when we are both feeling a bit less under the weather?

let me know your thoughts,

hope you are feeling better soon,

Tara:)

Guest lillibet

Hi tara, no its not just you. Meeting up would be great once were feeling better, i'm glad i only have a flu like virus. Get well soon.

Lizzie

Guest MandyJayne

Hi there, i have been here for two months now. I am 28, enjoy a quieter bar but more so a good coffee house or an afternoon at the markets. I live in Potts Point with my husband but miss girl friends so if you ever meet up it would be nice to come along!

Wow! I am not the only one!

Firstly welcome to sunny Sydney,

I too live with hubby but he is no replacement of girly chats!

We should definitely sort something, I am eager to do it but currently have Shingles so it may need to wait a week or so. Keep in touch and lets sort something soon :)

ciao for now, tara

Guest MandyJayne

Sounds great. I am studying at the moment (at a college in Surry Hills) but generally have wednesday and friday free and time at the weekends.

Hope you both get better soon!

Guest mutikonka

I envy you being in Surry Hills. I was cycling down Bourke St and Crown St today on one of my exploratory jaunts and thought what a wonderful area it was. There was a long queue outside the Bourke St Bakery - must be good bread!

Guest carrietoady

Hi Tara,

My boyfriend just saw your message and thought it was me! I am finding it hard to find friends in Surry Hills, I love chatting, mooching around (I have just spent the afternoon wandering around Glebe market) reading, looking in vintage shops etc.

I live near Taylor Square in Surry hills, if you fancy meeting up for a coffee and a natter let me know.

Hope to hear from you,

Caroline

Sounds great. I am studying at the moment (at a college in Surry Hills) but generally have wednesday and friday free and time at the weekends.

Hope you both get better soon!

I live in surry Hills so will be around!

We should definitely take the bull by the horns and do it- be proactive ( listen to me pretending to be all brave)!!

I should be feeling better in the next week or so, so keep in touch and we will def do it then:)

Guest english runner

Hi, I'm missing my girly afternoons too so if there's room for another it would be great to meet up. I'm mid-20s, have been here for nearly a year now and have made some nice ozzie friends but don't feel like i have those firm friendships i'm used to!

Oh and i'm over in woollahra so not too far from surry hills!

Guest carrietoady

Hiya,

Great to hear from you, of course we should meet up. Are you free ay all next weekend? Bye for now,

Caroline

most definitely English runner, the more the merrier I say!

Hubby and I are also just about to instigate a group that meet up every couple of weeks, just another way to try and expand our social circle. I will include all those in the invite when it is up and running if you fancy.

keep in touch and we will sort something very soon :)

Guest MandyJayne
most definitely English runner, the more the merrier I say!

Hubby and I are also just about to instigate a group that meet up every couple of weeks, just another way to try and expand our social circle. I will include all those in the invite when it is up and running if you fancy.

keep in touch and we will sort something very soon :)

Hi there again. All sounds great, when you are better we will all have a meet up. I am on here every few days so just say when you feel better. Would love to come along to the group meet, Ady (my hubby) is looking to make friends too!

See you all soon!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SamanthaJayne

Hi guys,

I recently moved to Sydney a month ago. I'm working in the CBD in Sydney for a small international firm (with no girls!!) and really missing my girlfriends and having a good girlie chat. Its quite hard to meet people as most g'friends you have from school and through other friends, its hard to know where to start. Would love to meet up with Brits in similar positions. Hope there is room for one more when you next meet up.

Samantha

Hi Guys,

well my shingles are definitely on the mend and so I am ready to face the world again!

I am eager to meet you guys( those I haven't met already) so we should make a date!

I am thinking maybe next week sometime, maybe Thursday or Friday, depending on what people prefer.

We could do a cafe or bar again depending on what people prefer...

my thoughts are meet at the Falconer on Oxford Street about 6.30/7pm, we can have coffee or alcohol there, eat or not, it's got a nice atmosphere but it is quiet enough to chat.

I am open to all suggestions though so any ideas, thoughts, pearls of wisdom welcome!

hope to hear from you soon,

ciao for now

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Twinkle & Everyone,

Hope you're feeling better, shingles must be awful. Im just recovering from sinusitis and saying goodbye to my sister who has just been to visit after 10 months here, so feeling quite sorry for myself!!

Just seen your posts and it would be lovely to get together with you all. I already know Mandy and I think ive met up with Lizzie - friend of Tracey's? through Poms in Oz which has been fantastic, so it would be great to meet other like minded people.

Im in a similar situation although Ive been here since July, however I am still finding my feet and miss having regular get togethers with the girls and enjoying having a mooch round the markets and a chat over a coffee. Definitely the simple things in life are so much more appealing when you hit 30!

Mandy did mention that you were meeting up maybe but I couldnt make it as my sister was over from the UK. If you plan to met up anytime soon Id be up for that.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sophie

Hi Sophie,

definitely you should come and meet up with us when we get together. I have gotten over the Shingles but now have a stinking cold! as soon as that is gone I will organise another little get together, it would be great to meet you, the more the merrier!

Hope your sinuses start to feel better, and hope to meet you soon,

Ciao for now

Brilliant. Sounds like a plan, hopefully help me feeling sorry for myself!

I hope you feel better soon. So have you been here for 4 years now? How do you find it? Is it still hard?

When I saw my sis off the other day it took me straight back to square one, I just hope it gets easier as I thought I was getting on with things quite well.

I just had a look at your websites. Quite interesting, did you used to make your own stuff back in the UK?

I love the vintage/bohemian feel out here especially the art. Is that your husbands site?

Thanks for that Tara and I will hopefully see you soon.

Sophie

Guest lillibet

Hiya. Yeh i know tracey, i have been to two of her PIO get togethers. I will look forward to meeting you all when you next meet up.

Hey Everyone

Think i no a few people but just thought id say hi to those i dont!

Ive been in sydney since oct and will hopefully be moving to surry hills in the next few weeks.

Also not sure if you have been on the british expat site there are 2 groups that meet most thursdays and fridays. Just a girly group on the friday, I have only met them the once but they are a nice group of girls (think about 25 of them in total!!!) most of them have only been here a few months too so look them up.

Its been a while since i met with all the pio people so maybe we should stick something in the calendar?

Julieanne xx

Guest Emmap
I envy you being in Surry Hills. I was cycling down Bourke St and Crown St today on one of my exploratory jaunts and thought what a wonderful area it was. There was a long queue outside the Bourke St Bakery - must be good bread!

I live on Bourke street...the bakers is the best....go at closing time, you will get lots of things free...they also have one in glebe area and alexandria....met you at one of the pio nights by the way!

Guest Eindhoven

Well hello everyone. I am the infamous Tracey that's my lovely PIO friends mention.

Count me in to anything and everything! I am normally chief organiser but have been too busy lately to organise anything.

I too really miss my girlie friends, just to pop round each others houses to have a cuppa and a chat. Put the world to rights and so forth. Let me know.

I also checked out the Sydneypoms thing and there's a 'do' on 20th June at the Baverian Beer Cafe at the Rocks so that looks cool.

Anyway welcome to all the newbies we certainly need to catch up soon.

Archived