Moving back to the UK - Car Loan questions

Guest matthewr

Guest matthewr

Hi, well we have decided to move back to the UK after being here for 8 months. Theres loads of very small reasons, most which have already been discussed on this forum, but mainly as we don't feel like we belong here and the kids need to be back into some good education.

Anyway I wondered if anyone has any information about an issue I am having with a car I bought out here. I bought a BMW from a BMW dealership for $57,000, including the finance it worked out to be about $79,000. It was supposed to be a reliable car for me to get to work with... Anyway now we have decided to go back to the UK I am having problems getting rid of it. The amount needed to pay off the finance is $55,000 however the original garage will only give me $39,000 meaning I will have to put up the outstanding $16,000!

I don't really want to sell it privately as I have no idea what I am doing here and the chances are I may be stitched up! Plus obviously it will take time to sell.

The options I have is to either sell it privatley (which I don't want to do), sell it for a lot less (meaning I have to pay an extra $16,000) or to give the car back to the finance company for them to sell at an auction.

As I can't really afford the move back plus an extra $16,000 I am thinking about giving the car back to the finance company. I realise this will probably mean the car goes to auction for a lot less and I end up paying more to clear the debt however I really can't afford to pay anymore money to get rid of it...

Now my questions;

1. If I give the car back to the finance company knowing I will owe them more money after the car is auctioned, will I still be able to leave the country and sort out the outstanding debt for the car from the UK (I will be earning twice as much in the UK so it will be far easier to pay this off, however being very naive I didn't want to get to the departure gate and be stopped, is this possible?!)
  2. Even though I pay this debt off as fast as I can from the UK, will this affect my credit history in the UK?
  3. Is there any other options!?!?

Thanks in advance

Be Sure Australia is not for you. Drive to the airport park the Car have a few drinks and have a swan around duty free. Then Phone finance comany while in que entering the plane and tell them were the car is.

Or bing the thing back with you.

Archived