English plumbing compared to Australian

Guest tracy hunt

Guest tracy hunt

Can anyone tell us how Australian plumbing compares to English plumbing. It would be really useful to hear from someone already there and working. Is it relatively easy to find a job? How hard is it to obtain the license/registration in order to work unsupervised in Oz? We are looking at Adelaide or Melbourne on an independent visa. Bradley is a self employed plumber here in Norfolk and is 34. We are just starting the process of emigration but looking forward to a new life down under with our four young children.

Regards

Brad and Tracy

Guest Abi&Dan

Sorry - not able to answer your question - but want to join the thread in case anyone does cos we need to know as well!!

:wubclub:

Guest tracy hunt

I got all excited then thinking that I'd finally had a reply after 34 views! It was becomming embarrassing when I kept seeing the 0!:redface:

Hopefully soon someone can answer our queries. As soon as we get to Australia, I know I'll be logging in and helping others. There does seem to be a shortage of people in Australia on this website.

Are you looking at the same places as us?

How far are you in the process?

xx

Guest cheryl

Hi Tracy and Brad,

My husband is a plumber we visited perth last year, whilst there he walked around some sites the ausie plumbing and british plumbing is basically the same. Pressurised hot water systems powered by immersion heaters or solar panels. No boilers as not many ausie homes have central heating. From what he can make out a short college course will lead to obtain a licence. Still researching if find out any more will let you know.

Cheryl

Guest Abi&Dan

So you do need an Aussie licence then. Thought so but couldn't find any reference on the job websites!!

Tracy - I know what you mean - there's loads of people like us really excited and full of questions but far less who know all the answers!! - i've found it's pretty much that on all the expat forums I've found.

I have Melbourne or Brisbane in my head - OH wants to research every Oz city first!! I have citizenship so lucky no visa process but hanging around in blighty for a while saving cos both have secure good jobs and want to set ourselves up financially a little bit before taking the plunge and struggling to find jobs!!

Abi :jiggy:

Guest jonseywife

http://www.pic.vic.gov.au/www/html/7-home-page.asp

To all plumbers & their wives, definately try the link above.......

I found it by chance and it tells you loads, hope it helps !!

I have had no luck at all finding out about plumbers in Oz, ie., wages, how much in demand are they etc., etc., so if any one else has any info i'd love to know aswell.......

:biggrin:

Guest daveplumber
Can anyone tell us how Australian plumbing compares to English plumbing. It would be really useful to hear from someone already there and working. Is it relatively easy to find a job? How hard is it to obtain the license/registration in order to work unsupervised in Oz? We are looking at Adelaide or Melbourne on an independent visa. Bradley is a self employed plumber here in Norfolk and is 34. We are just starting the process of emigration but looking forward to a new life down under with our four young children.

Regards

Brad and Tracy

Hi the plumbing in oz compared to the uk is pretty much the same, one big difference is the joints are all silver soldered and not soft, try doing that under the kitchen sink,you will definitely need to be licensed to work, from what i can make out you have to work under supervision and do so many hours at tafe (not sure how many) at quite an expense to yourself, if you want to go self employed more courses and more money, i think you are all going to be working for about $16 per hour until qualified, this then rises to about $25-30 per hour, going self employed you would be looking at about $45 per hour this is allbased on what i was told last August in Perth, prepare for a bumpy ride getting your licenses guys, ang good luck.

Dave in Essex until August then Perth

Archived