Are there enough places in Sydney infants schools?

Guest CaptainCook

Guest CaptainCook

Hi there

Just wondering if there are any problems with over subscription for school places in Australian schools, especially infants schools? It's an absolute nightmare where we are in the UK and really don't want to end up in the same situation over there. We are planning to move over in November to Sydney, northern beaches area and hope that will give us enough time to register our son for a Kindergarten place to start Feb '10. Does this sound do-able?

In my son's school over here there are currently 3 classes in each year, next year they are adding a fourth and there are still kids who live in the catchment are who haven't got a place, madness!

Thanks in advance.

Emma

Education authorities are obliged to find a place for a child in their local school so if you live in a school's catchment area then your child will be able to enrol there. Sometimes that means they have to provide demountables if there is a surge in kids living in the area. If you want to negotiate a place in a school which is out of area for where you are living then they are under no obligation to offer a place but they may choose to do so or they may offer you a place on a waitlist. Private schools have no such obligation and can pretty much pick and choose who they accept. Edited to say that they will require some evidence of a permanent address when you enrol, especially if the school is one in high demand so your first priority will be to find somewhere you want to live.

Guest CaptainCook

Thanks that has put my mind at rest somewhat, but now made me more anxious about finding somewhere to live!

Thanks again

Archived