Will my partners UK Degree be recognised in OZ?

Guest SkyeStephen09

Guest SkyeStephen09

Hi,

My partner is English (I'm Australian) & we're aplying for the 309 Spouse Visa to migrate to OZ. He has a Honors Degree in SPORTS SCIENCE and studied at John Moores University in Liverpool. He was advised that both the course and Uni is recognised worldwide, especially for its sporting aspect. However, when contacting a few places in Oz, no-one seems to know, but are leaning towards "It might not". At this point we have no idea whether it counts for anything at all, or whether we've been given correct information!

Is there a site we can go to to find out? Or can we contact someone who might be able to advise? We hope to move there if the visa (hopefully) is granted, but we really need to know whether its worth looking for jobs associated with the degree, and if we can get some sort of evidence to say that we can use it (degree) internationally (As most employers won't bother employing if they're not sure).

Any help would be appreciated!

:yes:

Thanks

Skye & Stephen

Hi,

My partner is English (I'm Australian) & we're aplying for the 309 Spouse Visa to migrate to OZ. He has a Honors Degree in SPORTS SCIENCE and studied at John Moores University in Liverpool. He was advised that both the course and Uni is recognised worldwide, especially for its sporting aspect. However, when contacting a few places in Oz, no-one seems to know, but are leaning towards "It might not". At this point we have no idea whether it counts for anything at all, or whether we've been given correct information!

Is there a site we can go to to find out? Or can we contact someone who might be able to advise? We hope to move there if the visa (hopefully) is granted, but we really need to know whether its worth looking for jobs associated with the degree, and if we can get some sort of evidence to say that we can use it (degree) internationally (As most employers won't bother employing if they're not sure).

Any help would be appreciated!

:yes:

Thanks

Skye & Stephen

I can see absolutely no reason why it would not be recognised - I have a BSc.(Hons) Psychology & because we are applying for a skilled migrant visa was assessed by Vetassess and passed. A degree is a degree worldwide.

If you are asking about the practice of sports science then I can't help but where he took is degree I'm sure will be far less relevant than his experience (unless there isn't the same opportunities in Oz but given the love of sport that seems unlikely)

Good luck

Jules

Guest kirstig123

Hi, So long as the degree is from a recognised university / higher ed establishment (which it is) and is recognised by the washington accord, then yes, it will be accepted by Australian immigration as far as I am aware. Kirsti

Guest SkyeStephen09
I can see absolutely no reason why it would not be recognised - I have a BSc.(Hons) Psychology & because we are applying for a skilled migrant visa was assessed by Vetassess and passed. A degree is a degree worldwide.

If you are asking about the practice of sports science then I can't help but where he took is degree I'm sure will be far less relevant than his experience (unless there isn't the same opportunities in Oz but given the love of sport that seems unlikely)

Good luck

Jules

Thanks Jules! Yes I see your point and it does make sense that it should be recognised. It seems alot of employers are not aware though, and tend to steer away if their not sure to stay on the safe side. Its good to know - Thanks for your reply!

Well fingers crossed it should be ok then! I know some places were saying he would have to do a masters in Oz for it to be applicable to australian law/work practice. I'm assuming you didnt have to do this?

it makes perfect sense what you've said and i really appreciate your reply!

Guest SkyeStephen09
Hi, So long as the degree is from a recognised university / higher ed establishment (which it is) and is recognised by the washington accord, then yes, it will be accepted by Australian immigration as far as I am aware. Kirsti

Wow thanks Kirsti! Ok so thats good news! We are migrating on a SPouse visa (not skilled or work sponsored) but hopefully employers will recognise the degree. I guess the content can't really differ too much from that taught in the same course at an Oz uni. :spinny:

Thanks for your help, we appreciate it !! :idea:

I wouldnt think there would be a problem. The only issue comes about when certain things require a "4 year training" and Jules this will apply to you, being a psych and all. Australian degrees dont get honours until you have completed a thesis in your 4th year so you do sometimes have to argue that an "honours" degree from UK is equivalent to a 4th year. Psychs in particular have this problem for registration but the APS will (or at least it used to) acknowledge that a UK honours was equivalent even though only a 3 year degree.

I shouldnt think there will be the same issue with Sports Studies though as they arent required to register before they can practice.

I wouldnt think there would be a problem. The only issue comes about when certain things require a "4 year training" and Jules this will apply to you, being a psych and all. Australian degrees dont get honours until you have completed a thesis in your 4th year so you do sometimes have to argue that an "honours" degree from UK is equivalent to a 4th year. Psychs in particular have this problem for registration but the APS will (or at least it used to) acknowledge that a UK honours was equivalent even though only a 3 year degree.

I shouldnt think there will be the same issue with Sports Studies though as they arent required to register before they can practice.

Thanks Quoll but no worries for me, I never got to chartered status in the UK & it's been 10 years since I directly used psychology in my work - I'm a QA Manager now :biglaugh:

But I have applied as a 'Social Professional' as that was the easiest route!

Jules

Thanks Jules! Yes I see your point and it does make sense that it should be recognised. It seems alot of employers are not aware though, and tend to steer away if their not sure to stay on the safe side. Its good to know - Thanks for your reply!

Well fingers crossed it should be ok then! I know some places were saying he would have to do a masters in Oz for it to be applicable to australian law/work practice. I'm assuming you didnt have to do this?

it makes perfect sense what you've said and i really appreciate your reply!

I'm talking from a point of ignorance of what a sports scientist does however..

There are certain professions where differences in law mean you do have to 're-train' for example lawyers, accountants but I can't see this being the case.

There are other occupations where you need a licence e.g. electrician, plumber but again I can't see that being the case

The other issue people have is their job is significantly different here e.g. psychiatric nurses, plasterers

I wouldn't worry about the degree per se but look at employment prospects for sports scientists, what the job actually entails and whether there is a 'good fit' - I imagine it is a highly competative field so if there are differences in the scope of the job getting a foot in may be difficult. What I have found is a lot of the things in my CV tthat 'opened doors' in the UK matter nothing here (i.e the university you went to or the previous employers you worked for)

How many poms could name the top uni's in Australia or the prestigious employers? So the same applies - it's not a prejudice but faced with a CV of household names against a lot of unknowns, the familiarity wins out.

It often means taking a lower status position and working up again or taking jobs with less prestigious organisations(I've gone state government)

Do enlighten me though, what does your OH actually do??

Guest SkyeStephen09
I'm talking from a point of ignorance of what a sports scientist does however..

There are certain professions where differences in law mean you do have to 're-train' for example lawyers, accountants but I can't see this being the case.

There are other occupations where you need a licence e.g. electrician, plumber but again I can't see that being the case

The other issue people have is their job is significantly different here e.g. psychiatric nurses, plasterers

I wouldn't worry about the degree per se but look at employment prospects for sports scientists, what the job actually entails and whether there is a 'good fit' - I imagine it is a highly competative field so if there are differences in the scope of the job getting a foot in may be difficult. What I have found is a lot of the things in my CV tthat 'opened doors' in the UK matter nothing here (i.e the university you went to or the previous employers you worked for)

How many poms could name the top uni's in Australia or the prestigious employers? So the same applies - it's not a prejudice but faced with a CV of household names against a lot of unknowns, the familiarity wins out.

It often means taking a lower status position and working up again or taking jobs with less prestigious organisations(I've gone state government)

Do enlighten me though, what does your OH actually do??

Hi Jules,

To be completely honest, I don't think he even knows what it entails completely!! :laugh:

It can actually go 2 ways actually; he can do sports development for the community (i.e. Sports Development Officer), or work wtih GP referral/athlete nutrition (he can advise on nutrition, exercises, muscle bulding routines etc).

Its quite a broad degree actually. He wants to work as a sports Development officer (which he sees to be the sort of job to start at, and work up from there), however due to the lack of jobs in this field (where we live), he hasn't been able to gain experience as of yet. We've not been able to settle down to start a career to work upwards and gain sufficient experience due to our situation either (travelling back and forth from Oz to Uk to be together).

I can see why lawyers and other professions based on law would obviously need a year or two top up course, though I wouldn't imagine sports science would. We'll just have to cross our fingers. I know what you mean about past experiences/jobs at prestigious companies in Uk not counting for much in OZ. the uni my partner studied at is supposed to be the best in the world for his course, though i'm 100% certain not one employer will know this. Though mind you its not the job to.

Thanks for your help! I hope it doens't hinder him getting a good job, even though the degree is valuable/applicable.

Thanks for everyone's input!!! YOu've helped alot!!! :wubclub:

Guest proud2beaussie

Hi Skye,

Bond University in Western Australia offers a post graduate degree in sports science and i am sure if you were to contact them they would be able to advise you about recognition of your oh's qualfication.

Their webpage is:

http://www.bond.edu.au/contact/

HTH

Guest SkyeStephen09
Hi Skye,

Bond University in Western Australia offers a post graduate degree in sports science and i am sure if you were to contact them they would be able to advise you about recognition of your oh's qualfication.

Their webpage is:

Contacts - Bond University

HTH

Thanks Nigel, I appreciate this and I will check it out now! :cute:

Guest SkyeStephen09

Thanks Nigel! I will certainly do that tonight when we sit down together and have a look through it. He will know better than i will! Thanks again! That's actually very helpful :)

Archived