Prescription medication

Guest Carolm

Guest Carolm

I'm going to Oz on a 457 visa and know that I will be entitled to reciprocal healthcare because I'm from the UK. I am on prescription medication and not sure how to obtain this or how much it will cost in Oz.

Can anyone help??

In Aus you find a GP of your choice and get prescriptions. The cost is usually $29 - $36 dollars for drugs that are on the Pharmaceutical Benefits List, drugs which are not on the list full price is paid. However I am sure the doc would find a similar drug on the PBS if this applied to you.

We can elect to have cheaper generic brand of the same drug which is a lot cheaper in most cases.

Guest Furball

Similar question... What is the drill for getting the Pill in Aus? Random question I know... but it's one of those things I currently take for granted over here etc... is it as easy? You just potter to the doc every 6 months, have your BP checked and then get a script? Do you pay for it in Aus etc?

Furball x

Guest smc01
Similar question... What is the drill for getting the Pill in Aus? Random question I know... but it's one of those things I currently take for granted over here etc... is it as easy? You just potter to the doc every 6 months, have your BP checked and then get a script? Do you pay for it in Aus etc?

Furball x

Yeah it's just as easy to get and your GP (which thankfully, can be anyone around, whoever is easiest for you, you don't have to actually register at one and stay there) will give you up to 3 or 4 repeat prescriptions - but the downside is you'll have to pay - from memory last time I got it in Aus I was paying about $50 for a 3 month pack.

Guest proud2beaussie

Don't forget that you can (If you can get hold of them) bring to Australia 3 months supply of any prescription medication as long as you have a letter from your doctor confirming that you are taking those tablets and that you carry the tablets in your hand luggage,,my GF regularly brings her medication when she visits Australia and has never had any problems at all.

In Aus you find a GP of your choice and get prescriptions. The cost is usually $29 - $36 dollars for drugs that are on the Pharmaceutical Benefits List, drugs which are not on the list full price is paid. However I am sure the doc would find a similar drug on the PBS if this applied to you.

We can elect to have cheaper generic brand of the same drug which is a lot cheaper in most cases.

and always shop around for chemists, they can and do discount the scripts! I have had a $29 script knocked down to $23 at another chemist. Most people think they are standard charges but not so.

I'm on quite a few meds (can you tell) and I pay a lot less that the $29 - $36 quoted above. Most common drugs asthma, blood pressure etc work out to about $12 a month. I also found that the GP's here very helpful and the level of service higher. I know you pay for it and claim back what you can but I was still impressed.

I'm on quite a few meds (can you tell) and I pay a lot less that the $29 - $36 quoted above. Most common drugs asthma, blood pressure etc work out to about $12 a month. I also found that the GP's here very helpful and the level of service higher. I know you pay for it and claim back what you can but I was still impressed.

Your right some are, I was on a blood pressure drug for $13 and got it discounted to $6 at another chemist

Furball x

The pill is easy to get ,but be wary , here they dont have all the same ones as they do in the Uk,and they wont neccesarily have an exact match for what you are currently taking so it may mean you have to go through the trial and error process to find one that suits. Neither will they prescribe you the pill once you turn 35 IF you smoke.

I kept putting repeats in just before i left the UK and managed to bring about 8 months worth with me,lol,

Cal x

Guest Furball

Hmm. Might try that ;)

I don't, and have never, smoke(d) so that shouldn't be an issue - also we want to start a family so it'll be a moot point soon I hope but it's something I wanted to look into :)

Thank you :)

Furball x

The only thing you must do if you bring a good stock pile is get your blood pressure done every now and again, as obviously the Dr won't be checking it like they do when you go for repeats. Bringing some with you will save you a fair few dollars too,lol, every penny counts for the first year or so,lol.

Cal x

Guest Furball

*grin* my blood pressure is normally enough to get me quizzical looks from Doctors.... I have always done lots of sports and even now I don't do quite as much it's still very low... as is my breathing rate. I had a car accident some years back and the paramedic thought I was bleeding internally it was that bad ;) It was only when he told the driver to hurry up and then told my brother why that he got reassured by my lovely little bro that I was always like that and just abnormal... I have a feeling I could have a few issues in Oz...

Archived