Student visa's

welshfitter

Well, my sister is 16 and lives back in the uk with my parents, she is looking to study here in oz, does anyone know the best place to start, i.e costs of a student visa? the time of application? any criteria needed etc and if it allows my parents as gardians to later join her here?

If anyone has any advice or even have come out on a student visa who may be able to help me, i would be most grateful..:notworthy:

Many thanks

Charlotte....welshfitters better half....:biggrin:

If she comes on an international student visa then school fees until she is 18 will be about $10,000 pa. Your parents can join her as guardians until she is 18 but they wont be able to work and would have to go home either when she turns 18 or finishes her course. I believe the guardian visa has a no further stay clause on it so they would have to leave the country to apply for a further visa.

Thanks for that, so maybe student visa is not the way and a parent sponser visa is best so they can all come out together and can stay and work in oz, my mum is only 50 and a manager my dad 45. will have to look into it further.

Thanku for your help Quoll x

Guest Gollywobbler
Thanks for that, so maybe student visa is not the way and a parent sponser visa is best so they can all come out together and can stay and work in oz, my mum is only 50 and a manager my dad 45. will have to look into it further.

Thanku for your help Quoll x

Hi Charlotte

How many children do your parents have in total, please, including children from previous relationships on either side?

It sounds to me as if the first thing is to check whether they would be eligible for Contributory Parent Visas:

Family - Visas & Immigration

Parent Migration Booklet

The central plank with Parent migration is the Balance of Family Test.

This visa is for you if you are a parent of a child (natural, adopted or step child) who is a settled Australian citizen, settled permanent resident or settled eligible New Zealand citizen and:

• at least half of your children are permanently resident in Australia

or

• you have more children living permanently in Australia than in any other country

Please let me know whether they would be OK on the BoF Test? We can then work some more ideas out from there.

Best wishes

Gill

I have herd that parents can work 16 hours, but who could support themselves on that eh! Does anyone know if the parent visa monies are paid all in one hit 33 grand....or is it payable over a certain time? and whle they are here.

Again thanks for any info. :-)

Hello Gill,

Well myself who is a perm resident is here also my sister who has been here 5 years and applying for citizenship soon. They have one daughter in the uk with them, who is 16 and keen for the move here. She is from my mums second marriage and they are still together! so altogether there of 3 of us, two which live perm here in Australia.

My mum is 50 and a area manager for 8 shops and my step dad is 45

Thanks Gill Charlotte x

I have herd that parents can work 16 hours, but who could support themselves on that eh! Does anyone know if the parent visa monies are paid all in one hit 33 grand....or is it payable over a certain time? and whle they are here.

Again thanks for any info. :-)

Check this out for the obligations and requirements for guardian visas Student Guardian Visa (Subclass 580) not really very attractive IMHO, check out the other ones that Gill has lined up.

Geezzzzz alot to take in. quite confusing too...My sister does want to do further education, and is looking to go to uni to study, or college. It seems alot of paper work and would they be best to see an agent, myself and husband went through an agent back in the uk, who made the whole process easier, i still had alot of paper work to do, but still they know what they are doing and have the connections with the approperate people.

Does the fee go up then after the 30th June?

thanks agian Gill

Charlotte x

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Charlootte

I started trying to reply to you but it just got too complicated and fiddly, which would only confuse you so I have scrapped it. There is an esier way to deal with this, which is to eliminate the impossible and see what is left.

Anybody who is included in a Parent or Contributory Parent visa gets full work-rights in Oz from Day One. This would include Sister. They can do any jobs they like including being self-employed.

A Contributory Parent 143 visa would give Mum, Dad and Sister immediate permanent residency in Oz in about 2 to 2.5 years from now. Sister's best bet is to remain in full time education whether she likes it or not until the visa has been granted. There is no point in letting this become unnecessarily tricky.

The cost would be $90,000 AUD in round terms or about $45,000. Would the family be able to come up with that money, please, about 2 years from now? If they could then the whole thing would be straightforward. If they can't then it gets fiddly and we would have to think of other ideas.

I think the easiest way is to deal with this is step by step, working out what is actually possible and what is not.

Cheers

Gill

Archived