Options in aus???

Guest EllieP94

Guest EllieP94

Hi Everyone

I am in year 9 in the Uk at the moment and i will have to take my year 9 options in the next few weeks. I don't think i will be here to start them in year 10 but i have a few questions about what they do in aus.

I was wondering how they work this in aus and when they take them. Also, we do coursework and get our GCSE's, what do they do in aus like this???

I also wondered what subjects and languages they do in australia. In our school we have to take: english, maths, science, citizenship, P.E., R.E. and i.c.t. We then get a choice for what other subjects we take. I also have to take either french or spanish or both because i am in top set for languages.

Can anybody give me any info about options, exams, subjects, etc.

Thanks,

Ellie

xxx

Guest treesea

Year 9 in Victoria would be the start of the senior school. Usually you choose electives, so additional subjects over and above the core subjects, in year 8.

You can see a typical structure for a high school at www.balwynhs.vic.edu.au.

At that school the year 9 core subjects are English, History, Geography, Physical Education/Health, Science and Mathematics. Then you elect a further four subjects from a list that can vary from year to year depending on teaching staff and the numbers of pupils expected to be taking the subject.

I didn't see the list of year 9 electives on their site, though I know that particular school teaches Chinese as its language - schools typically teach one or two languages, but they vary from school to school, so if you wanted to continue with Spanish it probably would be a good idea to email the education department for the state you are going to and ask them which schools offer French and Spanish.

Religious education in Australia is not usually a core subject, though some schools do offer it as an elective for year 9. What you could do, once you find out which schools you would be likely to be going to, i.e. are in teh area where you expect to be living, is to email the school, asking them for their elective list for the current year, so at least you can get an idea of what subjects are on offer.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Ellie

Depending on your DOB you may be in a different Yr to what you are in now. My son is 15 in a couple of months and started Yr 9 this time. He has chosen his electives they ask that you continue to do 1 LOTE (Language Other Than English) at a lot of schools this is French or Japanese.

Yr 10 is when you start settling down and getting ready for exams etc, and consider electives for the final years, you can start a VET course in your chosen subject in Yr 10 and you get to do your work experience. Yr's 11 and 12 are the years you need to concentrate on to get in to uni.

Do you know when your thinking of coming out to Australia?

Guest EllieP94
Year 9 in Victoria would be the start of the senior school. Usually you choose electives, so additional subjects over and above the core subjects, in year 8.

You can see a typical structure for a high school at www.balwynhs.vic.edu.au.

At that school the year 9 core subjects are English, History, Geography, Physical Education/Health, Science and Mathematics. Then you elect a further four subjects from a list that can vary from year to year depending on teaching staff and the numbers of pupils expected to be taking the subject.

I didn't see the list of year 9 electives on their site, though I know that particular school teaches Chinese as its language - schools typically teach one or two languages, but they vary from school to school, so if you wanted to continue with Spanish it probably would be a good idea to email the education department for the state you are going to and ask them which schools offer French and Spanish.

Religious education in Australia is not usually a core subject, though some schools do offer it as an elective for year 9. What you could do, once you find out which schools you would be likely to be going to, i.e. are in teh area where you expect to be living, is to email the school, asking them for their elective list for the current year, so at least you can get an idea of what subjects are on offer.

Thanks for all the info! :cute:

I'm not too bothered about taking spanish, i'm only really taking it cos we have to. However, i would prefer spanish over french.

I think i will ask some schools about their subjects when i know what area we are going to. We know we r goin to queensland, however, we r still deciding between the gold coast and the sunshine coast.

Thanks alot, this was really helpful! :spinny:

Love Ellie xxx

Guest EllieP94
Hi Ellie

Depending on your DOB you may be in a different Yr to what you are in now. My son is 15 in a couple of months and started Yr 9 this time. He has chosen his electives they ask that you continue to do 1 LOTE (Language Other Than English) at a lot of schools this is French or Japanese.

Yr 10 is when you start settling down and getting ready for exams etc, and consider electives for the final years, you can start a VET course in your chosen subject in Yr 10 and you get to do your work experience. Yr's 11 and 12 are the years you need to concentrate on to get in to uni.

Do you know when your thinking of coming out to Australia?

We are hoping to be in australia by July at the latest, so this will probably be just as i finish year 9.

I was born 29 decmeber but i no they start their school year in february so i was a bit confused about what year they would put me in.

Thanks for all your help,

Love Ellie xxx

We are hoping to be in australia by July at the latest, so this will probably be just as i finish year 9.

I was born 29 decmeber but i no they start their school year in february so i was a bit confused about what year they would put me in.

Thanks for all your help,

Love Ellie xxx

It all depends on which state you go to as to what year you will be in - what year were you born? But in very general terms if you turn 16 in dec then you will go into year 11, 15 - year 10, 14 - year 9 etc in the February.

Electives really depend on the school you go to - they can be very different especially with respect to their LOTE courses. It doesnt really matter until you get to year 11 anyway because that is when the choices are made which lead to your year 12 certificate. That varies according to state as well, some states are totally continuous assessment (like ACT) and others are part continuous assessment and part final examinations (most of the rest with varying emphasis).

I am sure you will be find and pick up courses you find interesting.

Guest EllieP94
It all depends on which state you go to as to what year you will be in - what year were you born? But in very general terms if you turn 16 in dec then you will go into year 11, 15 - year 10, 14 - year 9 etc in the February.

Electives really depend on the school you go to - they can be very different especially with respect to their LOTE courses. It doesnt really matter until you get to year 11 anyway because that is when the choices are made which lead to your year 12 certificate. That varies according to state as well, some states are totally continuous assessment (like ACT) and others are part continuous assessment and part final examinations (most of the rest with varying emphasis).

I am sure you will be find and pick up courses you find interesting.

Hi

We are definately goin to Queensland.

I was born in 1994, so i'm 14 at the mo and will be 15 this december. If i'm 15 this december does that mean i will start year 10 in feb??? :confused:

When we leave i will probably have just finished year 9, so im a bit confused as to if i will reapeat part of year 9 then start year 10 in feb, or skip into year 10 then start year 11 in feb.

I think i understand how they do options and stuff now but im still a little confused about the years as they start in our winter, which is their summer, lol.

Sorry bout all the questions but thanks so much for all your help!

Love Ellie xxx

Guest ChocolateTeddy2

Its different in oz then in the uk! In england i was in year 7 and i'm now in year 8! Also you don't start high school until year 8! So its kinda different a depends on you're D.O.B

Archived